Private car transport from Vienna to Prague with stopover at Cesky Krumlov

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2010, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had previously determined to train from Vienna to Prague. Part of our sightseeing in Prague was to take a private car for the *long* day trip to Cesky Krumlov, which we have determined is not to be missed.

Just recently it seemed to me that the best choice might be to take a private car from Vienna to Prague, with a four hour stopover in Cesky Krumlov. This would seem to be the most efficient way to both transfer between cities as well as visit Cesky Krumlov, and would avoid the back-and-forth day trip mentioned earlier.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this from those who have either made this trip or considered doing so. Thanks so much.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 03:23 PM

I assume you mean a private car and driver. That will be very expensive. A driver from Prague to CK would be less.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 06:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Agree with Bob, private car and driver would be very expensive.

Lobo Shuttle can take you from Vienna to CK (I took them from CK to Linz and then a train to Vienna but read recently that they now go to Vienna). I think there may be other shuttle companies available also.

Then, I believe, they also go from CK to Prague. I took the bus from Prague to CK.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 06:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Or, from CK, you can take the train to C. Budejovice and transfer to the train to Prague.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Actually, it's quite reasonable. Train fare for the four of us from Vienna to Prague was $572.00 for four first class tickets, and the cheapest private car and driver from Prague to CK for a subsequent day trip was $265.00 for the four. Couple that with another $50.00 or so for taxis to and from the train station and the *total* cost for getting from Vienna to Prague, and then later backtracking for the CK trip, is in the neighborhood of $900.00.

I can hire a private driver and van (Mercedes Viano) for a total cost, including a four hour layover in CK, for right around $500.00 depending on the exchange rate. Not only is that a savings of $400.00, but it really cuts down on the back tracking from Prague to CK and makes better use of our time.

I have been quoted this price by two reputable transport firms that are highly spoken of at Fodor's and elsewhere:

http://www.prague-airport-transfers.co.uk/
http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/index.htm

To me, it seems like not only a good value, but convenient (hotel door to hotel door) and makes better us of our time.

Further thoughts are most appreciated.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 07:54 PM

You might want to check www.mike-chauffeur.cz. They were
very helpful, friendly and dependable when we made two trips with them in the area. I don't recall it being too expensive.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 02:55 AM

If you think that 500 USD is a good price for a car plus driver, then why not....I can personally recommend prague airport shuttle.COM - run very efficiently by an American expat living in Prague.
But I have no idea where you've got 572USD for first class 4 person between Vienna and Prague. If purchased in advance from austrian railways, the price is 39 euros per person, which comes to just over 200 USD.....I suppose you looked at raileurope - a foolish thing to do.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

@wobbers: Thanks for the tip, and yes, I looked at RailEurope.com. Let me rework the math.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Reworking the math, with the train ticket price at 39euro for first class, shows that training to Prague and then taking a subsequent day trip back to Cesky Krumlov would cost almost exactly the same taking the private car option noted above.

So, I guess the question of cost is moot. Does anyone have suggestions about which option is *better* not relative to cost, but relative to east of travel, best use of time, etc.

Thanks as usual.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 04:50 AM

About five years ago, my group of four strongly considered doing this and I wish we had. I can't think of any negatives. In fact, in doing the cost comparison, you should add in the cost of taxis from hotel to train station and train station to hotel as a private car will take you door to door.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 05:12 AM

If cost is not an issue, then go with the private car, absolutely!. The best use of the time imo.
So I won't go on about costs, but (always is a but) you can do the trip from Prague to CK by a student agency bus for about 40 USD for the 4 of you. You can also use public transport for a few dollars in Prague, very clean and efficient. But I guess for a person who likes 1st class ( and I am one of them) that is not an option - but immediate saving of 250 USD.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 07:10 AM

We took a private car from Vienna to CK in 2007 for 3900 CZK. We overnighted in CK then took the bus to Prague. this worked well for us.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I have just learned that the castle in Cesky Krumlov is closed on Monday, our day of travel for this suggested transfer. Do you think it would be best to visit Cesky Krumlov on another day, or do you think maximizing our travel time by doing as we have planned outweighs the fact that the castle will be closed?
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 10:58 AM

We were in Cesky Krumlov last August, & it is absolutely beautiful. Not to be missed! I would visit when the castle is open, however. We spent 2 nights there, which I recommend. We arrived early evening the first night, so we had one full day in CK, stayed a second night, then left early in the morning the next day for Telc. I like visiting places more leisurely.

We had a castle tour, went on a raft ride on the river, walked all over & enjoyed the beautiful city & took photos, strolled through the gardens. CK is beautiful at night with the castle lit up. Try to stay at least one night if possible.

By the way, we arrived late the first day (the day we left Prague) because we stopped at Hluboka Chateau, which is well worth a visit (a highlight of our trip) if you have the time.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips Kwoo. Our schedule is fixed, however, with only a day trip possible to Cesky Krumlov. I realize that it would be better if the castle is open, but it looks like we will be there on a Monday.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're still considering CK as a 4 hour layover, consider:

My impression of the CK experience, having overnighted there, is as follows:
1. Vision of river making a U around the city----5%
2. Quaintness of town, cobbled streets-----7%
3. Exterior of castle-----8%
4. Interior of castle-----70%
5. Town as a whole------10%
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it were me, I'd add the 4 hours to Prague

But then, maybe you're one of those people like a friend of mine, who went to the rim of the Grand Canyon, looked for perhaps 2 minutes, and drove on to Phoenix.

But, he's seen the Grand Canyon.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

@tomboy: Thanks for the observations and percentages.

We really do travel pretty slowly and savor things. This is a short trip, with four nights in Vienna followed by a transfer to Prague and then four nights in Prague. Then home.

As we need to transfer to Prague anyway we are trying to maximize our efficiency and travel time with a stop in Cesky Krumov. We are *not* trying to do the "If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium" routine.

So, point made about the Grand Canyon, but I think it's off base here.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 01:52 PM

I leave for Vienna on the 13th of April and have almost the same itinerary (except three nights in Prague). Some friends told us that Cesky Krumov was not to be missed and I too was trying to find an easy way to do it. I'm curious dwzemens what you decide on. I still can't make up my mind!
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

@SashieZ: Fascinating that we both leave and will be in Vienna the same time. What day are you transferring to Prague? It would be great to meet for a coffee in Vienna if we are staying near to each other.

Feel free to contact me off the board by using the contact form at my business website. I will email you back and won't have to expose my email address to spam by posting it here.

www.1955design.com/contact/

We have decided to use a private car transfer to CK and then on to Prague after a few hours visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -