Lamberto Deho's apartment in Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been very excited about renting the apartment from Mr. Deho in Venice after the various reviews here. I sent the email with my dates (in June) and quickly received back a sort of form email telling me those dates were available, the price, lots of details, and even an attachment of a photo map showing how to get there. Excitedly I replied, yes, I wanted to confirm and asked if he needed a credit card number. (The form email says that he won't use a credit card number as he will expect cash on arrival -- but I didn't understand if that meant he still wanted a credit card number). Anyway, I got back from him an exact copy of the same form email -- again saying the dates were avaible, but no acknowledgement of a confirmation of reservation. I have since sent him three more emails asking for a confirmation, and have again gotten back just once more the same form email.
I tried faxing him, but there is a phone message in Italian and the fax doesn't pick up. I called that number and left a message that I was hoping to get a confirmation, but still haven't heard. Meanwhile, this has been going on for about a month. I'm getting concerned. Does he speak English? Are we just having a commmunication problem? Where do I go from here? Hope to hear from someone who has rented the apartment.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 06:15 AM

Sounds like a simple communications problem to me.

Why don't you write to him in Italian requesting confirmation?

Steve
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

I was under the impression he speaks English, and his other emails are all in English. I don't speak or write Italian, but could do an Italian translation I suppose. Somehow I don't think that's the problem.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 11:24 AM

I rented this apartment last year. Lamberto speaks fluent English, but he travels sometimes, which may be why he hasn't returned your phone call. I don't understand why he keeps sending you the same reservation form - it's quite possible that someone else who doesn't speak English is sending it on his behalf in his absence (are those messages "signed" by him?). At any rate, I'm sure he will respond to you himself sooner or later. When I rented, he did not require a deposit of any kind. "I trust you" was his rationale. Just pay him when you get there, or within a few days. At least that's how he treated me.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Holly. I thought that was true about him speaking fluent English, so it seemed silly for me to send a rough translation in Italian as if he couldn't speak English.

I couldn't quite get all his message on the answering machine (in Italian, but I did catch a couple of numbers, so perhaps it was dates he's gone or will be back). I guess I'll just be patient a little while longer.

The apartment we're renting in Montepulciano from the two sisters is the same way. "No deposit," they said. "We haven't been taken yet. Just pay us when you get here."