Knossos in Crete - what's it really like

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading a trip report on another site, and the couple decribed Knossos as a waste of time as it is "Disney-esque." We will be in Crete for 4 days, starting in Chania and then moving to Iraklion before our ferry to Santorini.

Is Knossos worth a visit?
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, hazardnc,

I'd definitely say yes, given that I still remember it well after 25 years!!!

doubt it's changed that much - you may see other beaches, other castles, other harbours, but you'll never see another knossos.

regards, ann

Old May 15th, 2007, 01:03 PM

If you have no interest or appreciation for ancient history, then maybe you will consider it a waste of time. But to describe Knossos as Disney-esque is ludicrous.

I did enjoy the Archaeological Musuem more, but was not disappointed in seeing Knossos and wandering around the site.

Go.

JQ
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Knossos is wonderful, disney!? I THINK NOT!!

But you do indeed need to be a little interested in history.

We had a private guide; well worthit.

Old May 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM

I was there in 1980 and thought it was wonderful. Have no idea if it has been disneyfied.
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Yiasas hazardnc.
I visted the Minoan Palace at Knossos last September, and is definitely not "disneyfied". If you are interested in history and one of the most advanced civilizations in Europe in 2600-1100 B.C., King Minos’ palace at Knossos, is a must see. Our guide, Marinella, a Minoan descendant, spoke excellent English, and gave a most informative, and relaxing tour of the Palace for 10 Euros each.
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:45 AM

I plan on visiting Knossos later this summer and agree that with a site such as this a private guide is well worth the money since you get so much more from your visit. Are guides available there at the site to hire, or is it something that must be arranged in advance?
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:06 AM

While its certainly over-restored, over-painted and perhaps misinterpreted, the sight is incredible, especially the stuff that Evans left largely untouched. Its a very short public bus ride from Iraklion, and is certainly worth visiting.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:27 AM

There's no doubt that Evans got some of it wrong, but if you are an amateur like me, the renovations help withthe visualisation.

It's not my favourite Minoan site on Crete, but it has helped me appreciate the others.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:33 AM

There are guides at the site to hire, but I am not sure how plentiful they are. When we visited last June, we didn't arrive at Knossos until 10:30 or so - it was very crowded and there were no guides available at the moment.

I suppose we could have waited and perhaps that is what we should have done - I think our visit would have been much more enjoyable with a guide, rather than wandering around on our own with a guidebook.

We hired a guide when we visited the Acropolis and it really enhanced our visit.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:59 AM

We enjoyed our visit to Knossos (with a guide) and the museum. Of course, we are interested in ancient civilizations and our visits to many Roman sites and Mayan sites are always enjoyable for us. Knossos was different than the other ruins we have seen, which made it more interesting.

The comparison to Disneyland/world doesn't make sense to me, but then I remember on one of our trips, hearing a woman at an airport in Mexico call Tulum a pile of rocks. Certainly not my impression in either case!
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:34 PM

it is my understanding that the archaelogical museum is currently closed for renovation
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:26 PM

You will love Chania if you are interested in history, it has wonderful Venetian architecture and is my favourite in Crete, much nicer than Heraklion. It is recommended to visit the archeological museum in Heraklion before going to Knossos if possible. There are also interesting ruins at Malia along the north eastern coastline.
And the markets in Heraklion are unbelievable, seem to go on for miles.