Search

British Air

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
British Air

We're heading to London in June and we're flying British Air. We've never flown with them. Anyone tell me their experience with them.
Thanks!
Old May 19th, 2003, 04:31 PM

No problems. We had individual TV screens for movies etc. I think their food is good. Seats are tight but what to do On our return, we got upgraded to their premium coach (can't remember what they call it) where seats are like Business Class-very comfortable. Have a great trip.
Old May 19th, 2003, 04:47 PM

I agree with the above post--good selection of films, pleasant staff, food was good.
Old May 19th, 2003, 04:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ten or twelve years ago and I would have said BA was a notch above the rest. The carriers are all the same now from my experience which is primarily in economy class. My trips in business class have been more comfortable.

Bottom line: Too tight seats and nasty food. Just like the others. The personal video screens are a bonus tho I will say that on the 3 r/t flights I took last year, BAs video screens didn't work most of the time. Not so with Virgin Atlantic.

If you're flying business or above, you'll luxuriate in the experience. If you're going economy, congratulate yourself on the great price and have a super trip!

Old May 19th, 2003, 04:55 PM

The best!
Old May 19th, 2003, 06:02 PM

The few times I've flown them, and from comments I've heard:

BA has fair-to-middle coach service/seats, decent business, good first class.

HOWEVER! If there is a PROBLEM with your reservation, you are in trouble. From all accounts, the support system for BA is terrible. That includes changing your reservation, getting refunds, rerouting, etc.

As long as everything goes smoothly, you will be fine... if not, make sure to keep copies of EVERYTHING and get ready for a fight
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:38 PM

Old story, sorry if this is too repetitious for some of you.
British Air is the only airline that used deliberate lies to me.
We were loaded onto a plane in London after a several hour delay. We overheard mechanics say, "why are they putting these people on a plane that won't fly?" We noticed that no pilots came aboard (we were in Business or Club Class). I mentioned the overheard comment to a flight attendant who said that was silly and that of course we were going to fly. Immediately after boarding, they announced there would be a "slight" delay, yet we couldn't see anyone working on the plane, loading luggage, or anything else. They served us our meal on the ground immediately -- no liquor, not even wine with our business class meal. As soon as they cleared the trays, they announced there was a problem and the flight was cancelled. They got us all off the plane. That's when we realized the only reason they put us on the plane that they indeed knew couldn't fly, was to feed us our meal to avoid giving the 300 plus meal tickets.

Never again if I can help it. I can deal with other problems, but deliberate deception -- never!! Many of us could have made other arrangements to get home if they had told us that the flight would be cancelled which they clearly knew. Incidentally, we finally took off on another of their planes nearly 14 hours late.
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:47 PM

British Airways is the worst airline ever created. I'm British and I'm embarrassed by the airline. I don't know about their hiring procedures, but someone has to put a stop to their employment of slags to push the drinks cart. What a bunch of bloody scrubbers! It is also horrid when you are flying first class and your air hostess sounds like she used to work the docks in Hartlepool. Where is Prunella Scales when you need her?????
Old May 19th, 2003, 09:20 PM

I've only flown them once in coach and thought they were very attentive and pleasant. I especially liked the fact that they serve tea that has been steeped in a teapot as I am not a coffee drinker. Plane was new with individual TV screens on back of seats as others have mentioned. There was also a channel where you could track your present location and update yourself on length into flight, etc. We flew into Paris and out of Nice and they accommodated a change in our flight departure without problem. I'd use them again.
Old May 19th, 2003, 10:53 PM

BA is one of the largest airlines in the world and its operations are heavily concentrated on the world's messiest airport, Heathrow. So things can go wrong, and the human beings managing foul ups are pretty much like humans anywhere. If you're a frequent flyer, you'll find them pretty similar to other major airlines (though the point above about their lousy IT systems is important, and their coach seats are on the narrowish side. I find them more generous with the booze in coach than US airlines, so that can make up for a lot)
Their main point of difference is that their staff are mostly British. So if you're returning from an uncomfortable part of the world, you might find thsat highly reassuring. If you're an anglophile on holiday, you might find that part of the experience. If you've a chip on your shoulder about the British - as most Australians have - you'll find the staff's accents and attitudes make your chip - well, chippier.
On balance, I find their coach service across the Atlantic better than the others (including Virgin, which ios obsessed with its own wonderfulness). But there's little in it,
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:42 AM

I agree with the poster who mentioned that BA was great around 12 years ago. Ten years ago we boarded a plane, got delayed 4 hours on the tarmac because they were having mechanical problems, and after the required time after the mechanics determined they couldn't fix the problem, they let us off. It was free for all in the galley when we were stuck on the tarmac; the flight attendants left it open for drinks and snacks but during the whole time there was no air so it was hot inside.
However, in those days, the airline was still generous and every passenger was given lodging for that night in nearby hotels. We were lucky and got the Hyatt which was not bad to stay if necessary.
We flew BA three years ago and things have changed badly: tight seating and the food is awful.
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:19 AM

They made a mistake in our return booking for next month, bringing us back at 10:30 am rather than the 3:00 pm we wanted which means a six-hour layover in D.C. They absolutely refuse to change it, saying they have no way of knowing whether it was their mistake or ours. I told them it was definitely theirs, and they said they couldn't know that. Customer service, anyone?
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have used BA Seattle/London 3 or 4 times over the past 10 years. No problems. I especially like the seatback TV screens, really a blessing on a long haul flight.
Old May 20th, 2003, 11:10 AM

I don't think BA is any better or any worse then any other airline these days. Yes, they used to be better, but so were AA, UAL, etc. Seats are tighter, food is not as good as it was (altho I've had some fairly decent food on recent flights) and the crews are not as attentive as they used to be on occasion. On our flight last month however, they were up and down the aisles constantly with water or juice so I don't think anyone could say they neglected us on that flight. Sometimes their airport staff are delightful, sometimes not .. just like any other airline.

Old May 20th, 2003, 12:49 PM

I have flown BA from Seattle to London 3 times with the 4th coming up this July. I really like their service and tea but I've never had the newer planes with the video screens in the seat backs. I hope that they are all upgraded now. I also think the seats in coach (where I'll be sitting unfortunately) are very tight!
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:19 PM

Flights were good but when they lost our luggage, BA was the pits. Lied, promised,lied then made it very difficult to get in touch with "customer disservice".
The only real help we got was from USAIR in Pittsburgh and they didn't lose our luggage.
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:55 AM

British Airways used to be my favorite airline to London, but now it's at the bottom of the list.

Customer service is non-existent (Patrick, they've lied to my face, too), flight attendants are rude, the bathrooms aren't cleaned for every flight, and the cabins are often overheated.
Old May 21st, 2003, 08:05 AM

They are like all airlines in this day and age...they have good days and they have very very bad days. They are also, trying to cut costs wherever they can.

My comparison is always with VS...and there is really little difference. I flew VS in January and BA in February return between JFK and LHR.

VS, to save money, did not serve individul bottles of wine. Rather they had a large bottle and pour glasses of wine. Score one for BA. BA ran out of my preferred entree on its brunch service and I was forced to eat an inedible full English breakfast rather than the chicken I wanted. That should never happen...it wouldn't be so difficult in this age of computers to as passengers their preference at check in and stock the right number of meals.

On the February trip, the magazine said we would have the new James Bond movie available on channel 1 but after take off, they informed us there was something wrong on channel 1 and gave us the second rate movie they had shown on the outbound fligt from JFK. Boy was I peeved and started, in my mind of course, cursing the hell out of them.

So, it's really the same all over. I will say this, however, that neither VS or BA are now charging $4 for a 55 cent bottle (or glass in the case of VS) of wine that AA, US and UA are.
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:09 AM

Two words: rude staff! If Virgin ever increases leg room in economy class (or if I have enough money/points for upgrades) they'll keep me for life. After arriving on time to the airport, my husband & I were waiting in line to check in. By the time we arrived at the counter, the attendant looks at us and says, "You're late. You're cutting it pretty close." And I said: "And you're slow -- if you did your job we wouldn't be late." Mind you, the flight was to depart in another + 1.5 hours. What attitude! The flight attendants on the plane weren't any better, either.
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:22 AM

we flew ba for the first time last spring florida-gatwick and were pleasantly surprised about the trip in both directions. planes were full, economy seats were tight, but attendants were efficient and food was passable. we're london-bound next week with hopes that our good ba experience will be repeated. but then, we fly swa here in the states, so our expectations may be lower than some other fodorites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -