Android App to Map walking (with only GPS & off-line maps); no internet

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Android App to Map walking (with only GPS & off-line maps); no internet

Hi all...

This is a bit off-topic.

We're going to Italy and Austria soon. I'd like to know if anyone has had success with any Android apps that map your walking, with these features:

Can only use GPS -- my phone will not have Internet access while I walk (no SIM chips for Italy or Austria).

Does not need to be full of extra features - just mapping my path as I walk -- and ability to save the maps.

I have Google maps of Italy and Austria stored offline on my Android. It will have to work with them (rather than the internet-based maps) since I have no internet access as I walk. (I'll have it in the hotels using wi-fi, but not outdoors).

Thanks.
SS
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:14 AM

I usually just use offline maps with Google maps. Assuming you have Wifi in or near your hotel, or you know what area you will be in before you leave, you can just download the map for the area. Just open Google maps, find the area, click "Make available offline". You'll see a squared off area that you just pinch zoom to include the area you want. I usually pre-load these and name them appropriately before I leave. Then when you need to access the saved maps you go to Maps > My Places > Offline. This has worked perfectly for me on my last few trips.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:31 AM

Sorry, still early here and I didn't fully read your email. Sounds like you are already well versed in offline maps. To answer your question, Yes Google maps has always worked perfectly for me. However, I have also found Co-Pilot to work very well. I have tested many of the most popular Nav programs including TomTom, Igo, Navfree and Sygic. For the money, I would definitely go with Co-Pilot. If money is no object, TomTom may have a slight edge over Co-Pilot as I have always found the interface to be very user friendly with continual UI improvement since when I first started using it back in my Palm Treo days. Really though, I think you'd be just fine with the offline maps in Google.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

It was early here, too, and I think I didn't make my question clear.

I want something that will make a path on off-line (already downloaded and stored on my Android) maps of where I walk while I walk...without the need of internet -- using only GPS.

This is so I can keep "souvenir" maps of my walking around the various towns.

Yes, I already know how to use off-line maps to help me get TO somewhere. I want a record of where I have been.

An app called "Map My Walk" seemed OK at first, but I don't think it works with off-line maps...only when connected...at least that's what the reviews said.

Sorry about the confusion...and thanks, just the same.

SS
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:15 AM

GPS only does work (on my Android phone,) but unless you keep GPS on all the time, in which case you drain your battery power quickly, it takes a long time to lock on to the signal, if at all especially where you need it in narrow streets between buildings.

I now always get SIM with internet. In March, I stopped by at TIM (Italian cell carrier) kiosk at FCO airport just before the baggage claim, spent 5 min and 26EU buying a SIM card with 500mb for one week. I was on internet by the time I left the baggage claim area. aGPS gives locations faster than the GPS alone. I did the same thing in Vienna. With the internet access, I can access starred locations stored in my Google map account.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:26 AM

I think what you are looking for is "My Tracks". I do agree however, you will get some serious battery drain with the GPS on all day. You should at the very least be sure to turn it off when going into a building. Or, you could do what I did and grab one of these: http://tinyurl.com/cneg4us You can your phone and a full size tablet on this all day with no problem, I'm sure you could keep your phone plugged into this sitting in your bag or backpack and leave your gps on all day if you want.
Old May 26th, 2016, 04:37 AM

This one is an effective app for map. Without internet, now user can use this map app.
Old May 26th, 2016, 04:40 AM

Google tracks you anyway so all you need to do is click on this link after your trip: https://www.google.com/maps/timeline
Old May 26th, 2016, 04:41 AM

Crap. I have been duped into replying to a 3 year old thread bumped by a spammer.

mea culpa.