We are finalizing our plan for ten days in Sicily, and I need some help with our last two nights. As background - We are traveling during high season, with our own car, and will have hopefully seen a lot of Greek ruins and also hopefully spent a fair amount of time at the beaches. We have three children between the ages of 6 and 10. We are interested in outdoorsy stuff and typically shy away from cities (which is why we are leaving only a few hours to wander Palermo). We need to leave Palermo on a Tuesday late in the afternoon and will wrap up in Agrigento on Sunday morning/ early in the day.
Someone suggested we spend our last two nights in the Trapani / Castellmmare del Golfo area, as there are neat things to see (more ruins and beaches - but of a different variety, and interesting landscape) and it might be cooler by the coast. There are way too many options for me to consider, but I am leaning towards a town between Palermo and Trapani, so we can do a day trip on Monday around the coast and then on Tuesday we are not rushing to get into Palermo. At the same time I am considering b and b's off the beaten path that offer a pool because it is likely to be very hot, and maybe our best course of action is sitting by a pool during the day and venturing out to see a few local sites in the early morning / evening on that Monday. It really is not a lot of time because we may decide to take our time driving north/ west from Agrigento, spending all day Sunday slowly making our way... and then to leave early enough in the day on Tuesday to be at the port by 4pm, we really only have Monday.
The start of our trip has us driving east from Palermo to Messina (via Cefalu) which is why I was leaning towards staying to the West of Palermo on our last two nights.
I think the number one things is that the area be family friendly (I know most of Italy is - but it is still hard to find accommodations for a family of five).
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Which Area in London?
- 2 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 3 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 4 Chinese new year festivities in Paris
- 5 Visit to France
- 6 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 7 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 8 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 9 family trip to Germany and more
- 10 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 11 Trains - website?
- 12 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 13 Paris Apartment
- 14 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 15 Barcelona to Malaga
- 16 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 17 Milan airport--which one
- 18 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 19 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 20 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 21 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 22 1st time to Europe
- 23 Paris November 2017
- 24 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 25 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!