Best Gelato in N. Itally

Search

Best Gelato in N. Itally

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Best Gelato in N. Itally

Last year I posted this same request and got some great recommendations for gelato in the towns we knew we would be visiting. Would love to have gelato recommendations for this year's trip to Northern Italy. We'll be in Verona, Padua, Udine area, the Dolomites, Mantova and Bergamo. Any not to be missed gelato spots? Thanks!
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your question, asking for "best", assumes that somebody has tasted all the gelato in all of northern Italy. And that this somebody shares your preferences and taste, no less. Quite an undertaking!
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM

GROM is reputed to make some of the best gelato. There are GROM shops in Torino • Milano • New York • Parigi • Venezia • Firenze • Bergamo • Bologna • Genova • Ferrara
Mantova • Mestre • Novara • Padova • Parma • Perugia • Treviso • Asti • Cuneo • Chieri • Casale.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

DL - I'm giving it my best to sample all the gelato in N Italy! And of course, "best" anything is subjective.

I'm really looking for gelato shops people enjoyed. I found last year when asking the same question for different cities, I got some great suggestions and had some fabulous gelato at places I might not have found on my own. So if u know any gelato shops that u enjoy, pls share. Sorry if the title threw u.

Zerlina, thanks so much! I will certainly keep my eye out for Grom stores....and they're in NYC, that is worth seeking out on my next trip to NYC!
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 01:23 PM

Just one idea.. unless you find someone here who actually lives in Padua or Verona, I will bet my last scoop of stracciatella that your local hotel concierge or waiter will know much better. Those people live there ALL year, and they should always know best.

On the other hand.. show me one old-fashioned gelateria in Northern Italy which serves lousy ice cream

In the Dolomites, you can go on a gelato pilgrimage to Val di Zoldo where most (appr. 5K) of the gelatieri come from who run the gelaterias north of the Alps. Obviously, that area is a bit deserted from March to October
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 03:44 PM

In Verona, exactly opposite S. Zeno Maggiore (that town's main sight anyway), there used to be a small gelato shop on a corner that was really, really excellent. It's been a while that I haven't been in Verona, but since businesses like that, in Italy, are usually family-run, there's a fair chance that it's still there, and still using the same recipes for their gelato...
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Franco, will try and search it out. Hopefully its still there.

Cowboy1968 -- yes, I ask waiters, hotel staff anyone for recommendations! And certainly plan to do gelato pilgrimages while in the Dolomites -- hopefully some will be open in May. We had trouble finding places to stay that are open in May.