Reload this Page >

London--Next May

Search

London--Next May

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 09:10 AM
Dru

London--Next May

We're planning a 15 day trip to London next May. So far this is the plan: Day trip on our own by train to Bath (Stonehenge, if time?). Train trip to Hampton Court (maybe Windsor, if time). Definitely would love to see the Cotswolds, but haven't figured out that one yet. Trip to Greenwich. Organized day tour to Canterbury/Dover/Leeds Castle. Organized day trip to Paris. Train trip to Edinburgh (2 days/1 night). The rest of the time in London seeing too many things to list here (already have on the January calendar to arrange for Ceremony of Keys & Globe Theater tickets). We'll pre-purchase Britrail passes, British Heritage Passes & London Travelcards. Except for the organized tours & Edinburgh, nothing will be set in stone prior to landing (ie- "you want to stay in London tomorrow or go to Bath?") After reading this forum all Summer-this seems doable to me. Am I crazy? Would love to hear comments from the experts. Thanks for all the great info.

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 09:43 AM
Bill Irving

Dru, <BR>I have been to London a few times. A couple of times when we have combined most of those trips with some days in Paris & some days in London. But we have also taken trips where we have based the whole time out of London for 10 days, & this past June for 5 days. & you should have plenty of time to do what you have listed. But it would be hard for me to see Paris & only be able to spend 1 day there, but I would go for 1 day versus not being able to go at all. We have done the Canterbury/Dover/Leeds, & also a Stratford/Warwick/Oxford tour -- this 1 also included a ride thru the Cotswolds, but no stops there. We have used Britrail passes & Travelcards & Heritage passes, but be aware that if you take an organized bus tour to places that accept the Heritage pass, entrance to those sites are already included in the price of the bus tours & you don't get discounted for having the pass. But the Heritage pass will more than pay for itself with everything else you can use it for, especially in Edinburgh. Also, if you take the overnight train to Edinburgh, which I have done 4 times, you will need to pay a supplement for the sleeper. If you have time, you may also want to think about day trips (these are my favorites) to Portsmouth, & to Cardiff/Caerphilly Wales. Have fun.

Old Oct 15th, 1999, 06:56 AM
Carl

I'm no expert but instead of spending almost all of your time in expensive London turn your Day trips into 1 or 2 night stays. Last May we did just that. Spent a Week in London then 2 days each in Bath, Stratford-on-Avon, and York, then finishing in London. In May (by dumb luck) we stay in Bath on the opening night of their annual Music Festival and were treated to a magical time. A wonderful parade, Music and a nighttime picnic in Victoria Park and a most spectacular fireworks show above the Royal Crescent. Truly Magical and unplanned. If your going in May plan on being in Bath at the opening of their Music Festival and stay the night. It was our best unplanned surpise and a night to cherish.

Old Oct 18th, 1999, 07:30 AM
dru

thanks, guys! anyone else?

Old Oct 18th, 1999, 12:07 PM
Roger

Two years ago my wife and I had our 9th trip to Great Britain in May. The weather was the best ever. We took the train to Chester, in England near the northern Welsh border. From there we took the train to Conwy and saw the castle. Would recommend this if you have the time. Wales is very pretty. The rest of the time we spend in doing day trips from London where we had rented an appartment near Nottinghill Gate. Enjoyed our day trips and never really planned that much ahead, usually the night before we would decide where we wanted to go. Enjoy the planning, its half the fun. <BR>