Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How can I see that bronze pig that is in Florence, I saw it when I went to see hannibal?

Search

How can I see that bronze pig that is in Florence, I saw it when I went to see hannibal?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 09:47 AM
giovanna

Hello my name is giovanna.Next year I will be going to florence Italy for my honeymoon.And I was wondering where can I see that pig that is made out of bronze.That we saw in that movie called Hannibal? Is it in walking distance for any hotels? I will be going in the middle of September.We plan on staying in florence for 5 to 6 days.how are opened aired markets there to buy gifts for people? Well I hope someone can help us out. thanks <BR> <BR> <BR>giovanna

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 09:51 AM
Amy

The wild boar statue is in the Straw Market, a flea market type place in a relatively busy section of Florence. (should be in your guidebook--I don't have anything with me to check right now.) The original (stone) inspiration for it is in the Louvre, and there are copies in many places, including the Strawbridge's department store in Philadelphia. Have a great time in Florence!

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Alec

The bronze pig statue is at Mercato Nuovo, aka Porcellino Market after the pig, which is very near Piazza della Signoria. When you get to the square, take a side street on the opposite side of Palazzo Vecchio and you'll soon come to an outdoor market full of leather goods, souvenirs, silk scarves etc, and you'll find the statue among the stalls, its snout nicely polished by million strokes of tourists. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 02:49 PM
zz-top

I stayed at a small B&B called "Il Porcellino" that overlooks the Mercato Nuovo in which you'll find the bronze boar statute.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Ed

Come to The Plaza in Kansas City, MO and you'll see (a reproduction of) the boar with a lot less travel!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:35 PM
Jean

Kansas City? Yes, one could go there--but not the same ambiance--not nearly the fun!

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 04:00 AM
Lizzie

Another Hannibal question - does anyone know anything about the outdoor opera they went to see in the movie? Looks beautiful, and I would love to go... but does it exist?? <BR> <BR>Many thanks!

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:36 PM
Next

Okay, does anyone need more? There are about 50 postings out there if you do a search...

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 06:44 AM
kc

You can also come to Kansas City, Missouri to the country club plaza and see a replica of the boar. The plaza is loaded with art work from Europe. The boar here was cast at the same studio using the original molds so it is an exact match....

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Joanne

Giovanna: <BR> <BR>It is said if you rub Il Porcellino's snout you will return to Florence. We helped with the "polishing" by rubbing his nose. Much like throwing a coin in the Trevi Fountain in Rome. <BR> <BR>Guess both work--we are returning to both Rome and Florence next spring--air and hotels reserved.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 09:42 AM
grace

Have not seen the movie (too terribly disappointed by the ending to the novel, which I hear was changed somewhat) so don't know whether this was in the film, but if you read the novel and are a fan of bath/beauty products, don't miss the Farmacia di Santa Maria Novella while you are in Florence, where Hannibal picked out bath goodies for Clarice. It lives up to its description in the book (and the milk soap smells wonderful! I have a bar in my bathroom now...)!