International Driver's License-

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it required in France these days? I've driven all over Europe with just my American license, but this time I'm picking up the car in France, and I read somewhere a while ago that somebody had been turned away at the rental agency's counter because he/she did not have an IDL. Any recent experiences?
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 12:12 PM

Although this is not specific to France, we did find that having an IDL was helpful in other parts of Europe when renting a car. My husband simply went down to the local AAA, had a couple passport pics taken there and had the IDL in less than a 1/2 hour. Cost $10 + pics.

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 12:38 PM
sandi

Had no problem renting car with American license in France, Italy, England (most all of Western Europe).

If you're renting from Auto Europe or any of the majors companies - Hertz, Avis, National, Budget, Kemwel you shouldn't have any problem.

An IDL isn't necessary.

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 12:45 PM

Have driven many years in Europe without ever having been asked about an international drivers license, though technically some countries, such as maybe Spain require not this specific license i believe, but a translation of the info on your state license into Spanish - the international license i think is just a verified translation and thus fills the requirement. But my understanding is that the int'l license is just a translation and has no real meaning beyond that as your state license is usually recognized. Some states, such as my Michigan, have recipricol agreements with other countries whereby each recongizes each other's license. Michigan for example, as printed in Secretary of State info on the subject explictly says our state has such agreements with Germany and France. So check that source or if really worried check the French consulate or embassy. Of course car rental agencies may have their own requirements. Bon voyage, and in France beware of the time-honored but often ill-understand by Americans of priority on the right, meaning unless an intersection is marked with stop or yield signs, traffic on the right automatically has priority. In some cases traffic coming from tiny streets may dart out in front of you on a more major road. Though this is changing, probably in the name of safety, there still remain some such confusing situations.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 12:45 PM

Re: Poland and other European countries. Posted license requirement, local (USA State license) plus International License. Why cause problems. Bring the International License plus your USA state license. If you are in an accident or at a random stop you will not have a problem. Why chance it for such a small fee? AAA at Heathrow, Fl. Good service.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 12:49 PM

Quite a few years ago we got stopped for speeding in France, and the cop claimed that he could have given us an additional fine for not having an IDL because our state (Oregon) did not have an agreement with France. Since then I have gotten them but have never been stopped again (*knocks wood vigorously*). Don't remember if we needed them for renting or not.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 01:31 PM

Queen Mab, your cop was a looney!! France and other countries don't do agreements with individual states. They have a reciprocal agreement with the US. Maybe this cop though Oregon was a country?
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 03:48 PM

Patrick, I think he was talking about the kind of reciprocal agreement PalenqueBob mentioned above. But he may have been a looney: the Brit that got stopped with us, while all the French people (driving the same speed as both of us) flew by, certainly thought he was! LOL
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 04:19 PM
sbk

A friend of mine did not have the IDL and as part of a random stop in Austria ended up paying $100.00 on the spot. Since then I go to AAA and pay,to be on the safe side.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 04:25 PM

My IDP came in handy when I was traveling through Germany, and realized I had forgotten to bring my USAFE (US Armed Forces Europe) driver's license with me.

The Polizei asked to see my US driver's license and my IDP instead, and I was glad I had brought it.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 04:26 PM

I go to Grand Cayman several times a year, so the IDL saves me money there, but have found it is the card to have when I travel elsewhere.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 04:29 PM

IDL (International Driver's License) = IDP (International Driver's Permit) same same
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 05:51 AM

Do you need to bring your IDP and your American driver's license? Thx.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 05:56 AM

Yes, the IDP clearly states that it is only good WITH your own drivers license. Essentially it is just a series of translations to other languages that assures you have an actual drivers license.

Incidentally, although we get them and have pulled them out to rent cars, no one has ever asked for one, and often the clerk will look at it and say, "we don't need that, just your REAL drivers license".
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 06:22 AM

Required in some places such as Italy, see following: "Italy recognises driving licenses and other traffic documents that are valid in other countries. U.S. and Canadian driving licenses are valid in Italy but the license must be accompanied by a translation or an international license (check your local AAA in USA or CAA in Canada). For motorists not in possession of an International Driving license, the ACI (Automobile Club d'Italia) will issue a declaration upon presentation of a U.S. or a Canadian license. The declaration is obtainable at any ACI offices."

Not required in France, see following:
"A valid US driver's license is sufficient. The legal driving age in France is 18 years. An international driver's license is not required U.S. citizens."
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks you all. It's actually not such a small fee--for non-members, AAA charges a heftier fee (can't remember what it is, but it's more than $10) plus they charge $12/per person for pictures. For 3 people driving, it will be at least $70. It seems ludicrous to pay such a sum to merely have your license translated into a European language (if it were Chinese or, say, Russian, at least then I'd understand)

Bob_C: would you mind sharing where your quote comes from? thanks!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 04:12 PM
brotherleelove2003

Go to AAA and get one just in case. Why add unnecessarily to the stress of foreign travel?

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:34 PM

Sansdieu: Perhaps you should engage the services of a professional translator, then. At $0.15 cents a word, or thereabouts, you might save some money, especially since the text is the same for everyone, except for the name. I don't know how many words are involved, but it's just a thought. You can reach the American Translators' Association at www.ata.com
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:36 PM

Might be worth joining AAA, then. You'll get the cheaper price on the IDP, and when you get back from your trip, you'll be covered by AAA while you drive at home in the States.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 10:30 PM

AAA Heathrow Florida USA, My current IDP cost $11. Personal service companies charge a fee for obtaining the IDP. Shop the internet! Download the application. Allow plenty of time for IDP process. IDP is good for one year. Request date you will begin using it. Make a copy of it and your regular license. Check expiration date. Random car checks occur. Poland requires; first aid kit, red triangle, and insurance papers. Check with US Embassy in country to be visited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -