Spain for 2 Weeks

Search

Spain for 2 Weeks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain for 2 Weeks

Hi, We are flying into Barcelona, spending 4 days, then want to go to Granada, Malaga, Seville, Cordoba & Lisbon with the last 4 days in Madrid. Not sure if we should go to Granda, then Malaga, Cordoba then Seville, need some help in putting those days into order! Can't figure out from Barcelona where to head next, probably flying from BCN then driving the rest.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 03:25 PM

Please be aware that, along with all of Europe, Spain is larger than you think. If you want 4 days in Barcelona and 4 days in Madrid, that leaves you 6 days for everything else. While I did not go to either, I'd split my time between Granada (Alhambra is there--which I did not see) and Lisbon.

To give you an idea: I drove Salamanca to Porto and it took well over 4 hours. So look at the map and "guestimate" how far it is from Lisbon to Madrid. Many people think that everything in Europe is bunched together, but it isn't and roads can be slower. You definitely need a GPS to assist you with driving. Because I go to Europe often, I finally bought one, but you can rent one when you pick up your car.

You have way too much on your schedule for 2 weeks. Personally, I would eliminate Portugal altogether and save it for another time. I would split the trip Barcelona-Granada-Madrid. I just spent a total of 5 days in Madrid. It was really not enough, but enough to exhaust myself in art galleries and hit the basic highlights (bullfight, flamenco, etc.).

Remember, every time you pack up and decamp to the next place, it is stressful. Decide how much stress you want on what is supposed to be a vacation (but in Europe often turns into a forced march), look at the map, research driving times and then decide.

I have not been to Granada or Barcelona. I saved them for another trip. I was based in Salamanca in a home exchange for 3 1/2 weeks and did mostly day trips out of Salamanca. I went around the countryside near where I was quite a bit because I almost always returned to the home exchange home at night because the point is not to stay in hotels.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 04:13 PM
kja

I agree -- too much for 2 weeks!
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 04:34 PM

You can fly to Granada from Barcelona for two nights (one hour flight time), then on to Sevilla by bus or rail. You can then spend three nights in Sevilla and one night in Cordoba on the way up to Madrid by train.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 08:05 PM

I'd agree with dropping Lisbon. Assuming you have 14 nights then you barely have enough time to adequately visit Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla and Granada. I'd do something like fly into Barcelona and spend 4 nights, fly to Granada for 2 nights, bus or train to Sevilla for 4 nights, then train to Madrid for 4 nights flying home from Madrid. I'd visit Cordoba as a daytrip from Sevilla or en route between Sevilla and Madrid. Or as Robert2533 suggests you could cut a night from Sevilla and do as a 1-nighter (although I personally hate 1-nighters). 4 nights each would be my minimums in Barcelona and Madrid (and Sevilla if a daytrip to Cordoba is done from there). So 14 nights to cover all of these places would be a fairly moderate pace. Trying to add Lisbon would be very hectic. And I wouldn't bother with renting a car as you won't have time to use it to do exploring between these places and it will just be a pain to park (and costly to park).
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 12:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A vote for CathyM's plan
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 11:31 AM

I agree with all posters so far.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, I will drop Lisbon per your suggestions! Cathy's itinerary makes sense..
Grateful!
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

We booked a Paradore in Granada, 2 nights. Malaga worth seeing?
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 03:56 AM

I love Málaga city and it's definitely worth seeing, but think you definitely shouldn't add more cities to this trip.

For another time, though
"Secret Spanish pleasures": http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalis...pleasures.html
"Picasso's city of hidden treasures":
http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...el?INTCMP=SRCH
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 04:08 AM

I'd love to visit Barcelona and South of Spain some day but right now I am preparing for home exchanges in Costa Rica in Nov.-Dec. and ones in Poland and Germany for next summer.

So I'll just have to wait for a home exchange offer to come in in 2015 or later.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 06:54 AM

I gree with kimhe - Malaga is worth seeing as are dozens of other places. But you need to focus on what you can see adequately with the time you have.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 07:54 AM

I like Cathy's plan, too. Be sure to see the Alhambra. It's like nothing else in the world.