Reload this Page >

London Visitor Travelcard info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 11:08 AM
Debbie

Hi all, I have seen postings asking about this, and here is what I have found: <BR> for more info, do a quick search on "LONDON VISITOR TRAVELCARD" - <BR> quite a few useful sites are out there. up. <BR> <BR> this appears to be the official site: <BR> http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/pa...ravel_card.htm <BR> <BR> <BR> blurb from one of the sites: <BR>How does the London Visitor travelcard work? <BR> The London Visitor Travelcard,which can only be bought outside Britain, allows unlimited travel on London transport services, including the Underground, buses and the Docklands Light Railway for a set period of time - either 3, 4 or 7 days, which are consecutive. <BR>The advantage of purchasing a London Visitor Travelcard is that apart from saving money, you save valuable time by avoiding having to queue to purchase tickets. <BR> <BR> I used one on my trip to London , and found it worth every penny, especially in saved time and frustration. <BR> <BR>P.S. There also seems to be some kind of MUSEUM card available in conjunction with the visitor card. check it out.

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 04:22 AM
elaine

Just an alternate opinion, but everyone's needs and opinions area different, but the travel cards don't always save money for everyone. <BR>Unless you are using the tube <BR>a lot and every day, some people recommend one-day travel cards (if they are still offered?). If you take a day "off" and go elsewhere, or if you take cabs, the pass may not be worth it. However, if you're not on a tight budget, the difference in prices may not be that important to you. <BR>It is also possible to buy advance tickets for sites like the Tower without having a pass. <BR>

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 07:02 AM
Debbie

As with any part of planning a trip - each person needs to weigh their choices. <BR> <BR>For me - as a first time visitor to London - Having the visitor card was as much for piece of mind than anything. I figured it would pay off over the 5 days we were there, but mostly, it allowed me to go ANYWHERE and not have to have exact change or wait in lines for tube tickets. I also liked the freedom to change my mind at any time without having to buy new tickets. Also - I really liked the freedom of choosing either the Bus or the Tube. <BR>Personally - with the pass, I think we only took a cab once or twice - since we were staying next to Victoria Station, which is the hub for the Buses, we could use the bus system extensively. <BR> <BR>Debbie

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 07:05 AM
Debbie

oh, <BR> one more thing, <BR> unless you purchase the museuum(SP?) option , the visitor card does NOT have anything to do with the Tower of London - except to get you there.

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 07:06 AM
debbie

oh, <BR> one more thing, <BR> unless you purchase the museuum(SP?) option , the visitor card does NOT have anything to do with the Tower of London - except to get you there.

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 11:34 AM
David White

Hi, <BR> <BR>RailEurope is an agent selling London Visitor TravelCards in the USA, but for official info on all the options, passes, etc. go to London Transport's site: <BR> <BR> http://www.Londontransport.co.uk <BR> <BR>There are other passes that may work better, depending on where you are going in London (and when). Daily and weekend passes, carnets (10 ticket packs), etc. <BR> <BR>Be aware that the Visitor Travel Card comes in various lengths (days) AND in zone coverages. Most of the major tourist attractions in central London are in travel zone 1 or 2. You may not need an "all zones" pass if you are not venturing far afield. <BR> <BR>The last time we were in London, we "passed" on the Visitor TravelCard and purchased daily and weekend passes from Tube station in London. For where we were going, it was the best deal. <BR> <BR>Hope this is helpful. <BR> <BR>David White <BR> <BR> http://www.KidsToLondon.com <BR> <BR>