Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If I tell you where we've already been, will you tell me where we should go next (in Europe with teenage boys)?

Search

If I tell you where we've already been, will you tell me where we should go next (in Europe with teenage boys)?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH and family (sons ages 16 and 13) would like to return to Europe in summer '09. They loved our last trip, which was the first for the boys to Europe. We traveled to Paris, Normandy, Mont St. Michel, Rome, Positano, Capri, Athens and Santorini. They love the coast and castles and Medieval Villages and history, especially military history. They aren't as wild about the big cities and art museums. I was thinking about an itinerary in Great Britain- -what do you think? Thanks!
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:14 AM

If your kids are not wild about art galleries and big cities, maybe Europe is not a good idea. You might have a good family trip whitewater rafting out West right in the US. Ask them what they would like. Taking reluctant teens on a trip they really don't want is a receipe for disaster.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:19 AM

Switzerland?
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
What about Scotland? Edinburgh Castle is really cool, then day trip out to Rob Roy country and all the castles nearby? Make sure they watch Rob Roy and Braveheart before they go to get them excited. You could even go to Loch Ness and get them a tour there and I don't think you'd find nicer coast than Skye.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
dmlove

Lauren, I'm really curious what about rileypenny's post made you decide her boys were "reluctant teens"? She specifically said "they loved our last trip....they love the coast and castles and Medieval Villages and history...." Geez, if you can't get that in Europe, where can you get it????

I'd vote for the UK, or Portugal and Spain.

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM

Scotland was the first place that came to my mind too - your boys would certainly be able to get their fill of castles, history and coastline!
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:39 AM

It sounds as though you already have a couple of Europhiles in the making - good for you!

I think Great Britain is an excellent choice. No dearth of military history there, and a wealth of other things of interest. How much time do you have, and how would you get about from place to place?
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:56 AM

On a trip to England and Scotland a few years ago, my kids liked Warwick Castle, York, Hadrian's Wall, the Roman forts near the Wall, Alnwick Castle and rural Scotland (they didn't care for Edinburgh). Although they did not like London's crowded subway and traffic, they did enjoy the British Musuem and the Museum of Natural History. I would include in your itinerary a few days in London to see a few selected sites (your sons may like the underground strategy rooms from WWII - don't know the name right off hand) and then journey north. We threw in a few "Harry Potter" filming sites, too! If the weather is nice, you might want to include a few days at the beach on the east coast - Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay. There isn't much at Sherwood Forest for older kids, but it made a nice picnic spot on the road north.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Scotland 100% absolutely positively! Could not be a better fit for teenage boys - castles, outdoor activities, amazing scenery, islands, military history around every corner.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:10 AM

"underground strategy rooms from WWII - don't know the name right off hand"

This is the Cabinet War Rooms and I thought this was a fascinating place.

If you go to London the boys might like one of the ghost walks given by London Walks. My favorite thing was the closing ceremony of the Tower, known as the Ceremony of the Keys. The tickets are free but you need to request them well in advance and send a couple of International Reply Coupons to pay for the postage. From an historical standpoint this closing ceremony has been going on for over 700 years.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:18 AM

I'd second marigross's suggestion of Switzerland. While it may not have a coast it certainly has it's castles. My favorite places on earth usually have mountains associated with them. Fly into Venice, go through the Dolomites, then on into Switzerland and fly out of Zurich. A great museum with a lot of neat history of the Dolomite area is the South Tyrol Museum of Archeology in Bolzano which includes The Iceman.

In Dolomites/Alps you could go biking, hiking, white water rafting, etc...all with a European flair.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:08 AM

What about Germany and Austria? There certainly is no shortage of castles. My younger brother loved it! The towns are cute, the cities are interesting, and the scenery amazing. And since they like military history, you could visit the Nazi bunkers and documentation museum in Obersalzburg, near Berchtesgaden and Salzburg.

Tracy
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:18 AM

My kids loved Edinburgh, and I highly suggest you visit them during the festivals in August such as the Fringe and the Tatoo. My kids too do not like big cities but they loved the merriment of Edinburgh during that time of year and they got to see a lot of shows for $5. I bought Tatoo tickets when they went on sale in December so we got the front row which the kids loved. We then took them to see Hadrian's wall, we toured yorkshire, did Shakespere County and the Cotswold and Bath. If you have kids who love castles and history, exploring Scottland and England would be ideal.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM

I second Germany. You can get a lot of military history there. And castles. The Rhine region is gorgeous.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM

I second Germany. You can get a lot of military history there. And castles. The Rhine region is gorgeous. Include a cruise down the Rhine visiting the little villages.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:33 AM
a1139a

Another vote for Scotland--especially if you'll have a car. No shortage of castles, battle sites and friendly faces.

www.hereinfranklin.wordpress.com

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM

Anywhere in Europe will fit the bill, but, herein Scotland, we Do do coast, castles, mediaeval and history quite well, tho' I say it myself as shouldn't
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:04 AM

Sicily
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:15 AM

I'd vote for England too. If they love military history, try to get down to Portsmouth to see the HMS Victory - it is quite a beautiful ship. There are some other ships & military-type museums in Portsmouth as well. We did it as a day-trip out of London.

Dover was another great day-trip out of London. There are some tunnels built into the famous White Cliffs of Dover that have some WWII history attached to them.

We also loved the Winston Churchill museum in London (as well as the rooms where he lived during WWII).

York would also be a good stop for some history, etc.

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
dmlove

<i>We also loved the Winston Churchill museum in London</i>

Just to clarify, there are two different places - the Cabinet War Rooms and the Imperial War Museum, both of which get high marks (I've been to the CWR more than once, and think it's fantastic).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -