Ideas for travel in Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2020, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, we're desperate for a holiday with being stuck in London - so are maybe thinking that Germany could be a destination to think of with them seeming to manage the pandemic well, mainly.
But, other than a weekend in Berlin and a couple of days stopover in Frankfurt, I haven't a clue on where to go, what to do - we do like art galleries (art in churches too), museums, eating out - we would hire a car probably so could roam around.
Would appreciate any pointers, would probably go for 2 weeks the second half of September.
Thanks
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 04:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
"Stuck in London" At least you don't live in Florida. We love Bavaria and nothing like the mountains for a nice change. We actually were going to go to northern Germany this pass June and stay on the Baltic sea. Might be cool for the last weeks of September. No festivals this year so Munich will be quiet. Still so much up in the air to travel.
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by patriciatbrogan
Hi there, we're desperate for a holiday with being stuck in London - so are maybe thinking that Germany could be a destination to think of with them seeming to manage the pandemic well, mainly.
But, other than a weekend in Berlin and a couple of days stopover in Frankfurt, I haven't a clue on where to go, what to do - we do like art galleries (art in churches too), museums, eating out - we would hire a car probably so could roam around.
Would appreciate any pointers, would probably go for 2 weeks the second half of September.
Thanks
I'd say, wait until the very last moment with your bookings, bc there might soon be restrictions on travellers from the UK.
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 05:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In 2015 I had an enjoyable trip to northern Germany, traveling by train. Besides Berlin I visited Potsdam (could be a day trip from Berlin, although I spent the night), Schwerin, Bremen, and Lubeck.

For my TR start here (links at the top of the page): https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...i-and-sans-ac/

Old Aug 18th, 2020, 05:36 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I suggest Munich, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Mittenwald and Berchtesgaden for starters. You can also easily reach Salzburg, Austria from Munich.

Loads to see and do. Your two weeks will fly by.

You might find some ideas here in my latest trip report, although we visited in December.

The Boomer and the Gen-Zer: A trip of firsts

Old Aug 18th, 2020, 07:41 AM

I've written several trip reports on travels in Germany. My 2013 central Germany trip report started in Frankfurt and ended in Berlin. If interested in reading it, click on my name to find it.

https://flic.kr/p/fkV6Qt https://flic.kr/p/fhwDZw
We skipped Dresden that time, but the town and its treasures should be visited:

https://flic.kr/p/7wv8c3
The Michelin Green Guide and Fodor's Guide for Germany are useful for planning a trip. For car rentals, checkout Autoeurope and Kemwel.
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 07:43 AM

Visit Georgenstein

It is located a little bit outside of Munich. But worth a trip. The famous Georgenstein lies at the bottom of a river. The area is really beautiful and the rock has a wonderful story.
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 06:49 PM

Bavaria and the Tyrol is a great idea -- probably the most popular suggestion for a first or nearly first trip to Germany. A beautiful area. I'm fond of the Harz mountains and surrounding area to include Goslar, Wernigerode, Quedlinburg. We didn't encounter many English speaking tourists there. I personally am looking forward sometime to visiting the Rhine: Bingen, Bacharach, St. Goar, etc. up to Koblenz or farther. Then there's Eisenach, Erfurt, Weimar, possibly dipping down to Coburg, Bamberg and finding other places to explore in that area. If you start in Berlin (include Potsdam) then there are many places to go afterward including Wittenberg, Dresden, Leipzig, and Görlitz among others. So many wonderful places, so little time!
Old Aug 24th, 2020, 12:54 PM

We really enjoyed lunch at Andechs Monestary (southwest of Munich). Schloss Hohenschwangau was our favorite castle. The walk through the forest is worth the time.
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 12:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, some wonderful ideas - thank goodness the libraries are opening here (were closed in March at the start of lockdown) - they're opening early September - so shall get some travel books out of the library and do some research with all your pointers to get me going.
I normally travel in the southern countries of Europe - Italy, Portugal Spain etc: I assume Germany is much more expensive because that would have to be factored in?
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 12:09 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't find Germany expensive at all. I've only been to Spain once, so can't directly compare, but Germany feels downright cheap when we visit after visiting Switzerland
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 04:22 PM

Agreed. You can find food and lodging reasonably priced, especially compared to Switzerland and the UK. The same for Berlin specifically, compared to other major cities in Europe.
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by patriciatbrogan
Thanks all, some wonderful ideas - thank goodness the libraries are opening here (were closed in March at the start of lockdown) - they're opening early September - so shall get some travel books out of the library and do some research with all your pointers to get me going.
I normally travel in the southern countries of Europe - Italy, Portugal Spain etc: I assume Germany is much more expensive because that would have to be factored in?
Food in Germany is relatively inexpensive, and we did not find accommodations to be very expensive either, depending of course on your comfort zone. My wife's cousin stayed close to the Charlottenburg area of Berlin, in a somewhat upscale hotel and said that his three nights there were cheaper than one3 night in Zurich.

Here and there I give prices during our travels in central Germany: Trip Report: Central Germany, 2013
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 01:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Patricia - I'm stuck in Cornwall which feels light years away from London, so I sympathise with your wish to escape for a while.

I particularly liked the ideas that Trophywife suggested as it reminded me of a trip that DH and I did about 5 years ago, flying into Hannover and out of Stuttgart - in between as well as Hannover we went to Goslar, Wernigerode, took a steam train up to the top of the Brocken in the Harz, then Weimar, Erfurt, Bamberg and Wurzburg. Lots of good things to see in between including plenty of castles, palaces ad cathedrals. There are lots of other choices of course, but we liked that route a lot and as others have said, Germany really isn't that expensive.
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 08:24 PM

I don't find Germany expensive. Obviously it depends on what you're comparing to but similar items have similar prices in Germany,Spain and Italy. Prices I'm sure vary by season or during events. But they do in the rest of Europe.
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 06:44 AM

I am another that did not find Germany expensive. We have been several times.
Old Aug 29th, 2020, 03:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are two Germanys. If you travel business class you will find hotels and restaurants can be expensive, but just step back one class or just out of business centres and you will find great hotels at prices lower than France and resaurants much cheaper.

I set my target at Euro 90 a night and a meal for Euro 15 with beer and do fine. But I could set it for 250 and 50 and be within a few hundred yards of the alternative place. This is especially true away from Business districts and the real hotspots of tourism.

Zurich is just silly prices (I stay with wealthy friends who hestitate to eat out)
Old Aug 29th, 2020, 05:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree Bilbo. Germany is place where it's easy to eat reasonably well for not too much.
Old Aug 29th, 2020, 08:22 AM

Agree with all of above... but if you have a higher budget, there are some charming upscale places. I occasionally explore the "Romantik" hotel chain and Travel Charme which I haven't had the opportunity to use yet.

https://www.romantikhotels.com/en/home/

https://www.travelcharme.com/en/hotels

Old Aug 29th, 2020, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the less expensive end I was very happy with the Motel One chain: https://www.motel-one.com/en/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -