Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'd welcome critique on my Rome itinerary!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This site is really wonderful! Love all the first hand experiences to guide you!

My wife and I will be making our first trip to Rome with our 13 year old son on Feb 20, 2009.

May I supply our "planned" itinerary for critique? We arrive on Sat Feb 21...no plans due to jet lag...probably just wander around Villa Doria Pamphili and make our way towards Trastevere if we have the energy.

Day 1 Sun Feb 22
Ancient Rome- Forum, Colosseum, Circus Maximus, Arch of Constantine, Church of Santa Maria in Aracoeli, etc, etc.

Day 2 Mon Feb 23
Vatican City- Pre-booked a tour of the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica. Will also check out the Vatican Museums. Then onto Castel Sant'Angelo and Ponte Sant'Angelo. I'd like to finish the day by satisfying my morbid side and visit the Crypt of the Capuchin Monks (I loved the catacombs of Paris...sorry!).

Day 3 Tue Feb 24
Spanish Steps, Column of Marcus Aurelius, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Church of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, finishing off by wandering about Piazza Navona.

Day 4 Wed Feb 25
Early start and head to the market in Piazza Campo Di Fiori, Jewish Ghetto, Tiber Island, Church of Santa Maria in Trastevere, finish the day wandering about Trastevere.

Day 5 Thur Feb 26
Day trip to Ostia...that's it. If its not too late getting back, roam around Testaccio.

Day 6 Fri Feb 27
I'm going to get crucified here because I've read all the advice on NOT doing this. However, my wife will shop till she drops and my son and I will take train(s) to Pompei. I know that we will have just been to Ostia, but go to "Google", search images under "Vesuvius" and take a look at those pics!! I think the trip will be worth it enough just to see an active volcano! Call me crazy.

Day 7 Sat Feb 28
Leave Rome for Toronto. Boo hoo!

What do you think? Are we missing anything 'major'? Too ambitious? (we tend to devour cities we visit, so we're used to a hectic pace). Let us know. Thank you. Cheers!

Kevin

Old Feb 5th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Hello Kevin, I would be inclined to go with your son to Pompeii on either Tuesday or Wednesday and do the sightseeing you were going to do on that day on Friday. I say that as visiting Pompeii from Rome will be a real long day and in that you are flying home to Canada on Saturday which is a long flight and probably with an earling morning departure I think, or at least I would be, tired for the flight if I had visited Pompeii the day before.

Have a beautiful time in Rome with your family.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Hi Kevin,

I'd suggest that Sunday, as part of your Ancient Rome tour, that you make time for the Capitoline Museums (of art and archeology) which are located around the beautiful Piazza del Campidoglio.

You pretty much have to pass through this important square(or least pass by it) to reach Aracoeli. I think the Capitoline Hill is one of loveliest and most interesting spots in Rome and it gets almost no attention.

It can also be reached from the Piazza Venezia by climbing the sweeping cordonata stairs designed by Michelangelo.

Michelangelo also designed the piazza and from the sides, you have wonderful views out over the Forum towards the Colosseum. Further, two of the three museums that make up the complex are connected by an underground tunnel that also gives you access to the ancient Tabularum, which is open on one side to look out over the Forum. When I was last there in January 2008, it was a great spot to take photos while still sheltered! (The tunnel runs under the centre building of the complex, which is now Rome City Hall.)

The main museum has a decent cafeteria if your family gets cold or tired (or needs washrooms) and has some wonderful exhibitions that your son might enjoy, particularly access to some ruins and an explanation of the ongoing archeological dig that continues to find information about the origins of the Capitoline Hill and the Temple of Jupiter.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 09:03 AM

I think it's a good itinerary and like the fact that you are basing in Rome and only doing daytrips from there as opposed to so many people who try and cram in two or even three cities in a week. Rome is my favorite place and you seem to be seeing a lot of things but still have some downtime planned. With the new ultra fast train between Rome and Naples, daytrips to Pompeii aren't that horrible, but better in the spring/summer when there are more hours of daylight. Anyway, if you are prepared for a long day, I'm sure you, and especially your son, will enjoy it. What you have planned for Day 3, Tuesday, will only take the morning. You may want to visit the Borghese Gallery in the afternoon, which really shouldn't be missed, or if your son enjoys the macabre like you do, he may like a visit to the Criminalogy Museum which is housed in Rome's old prison. Pretty gruesome and very interesting. My girls loved it!
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 09:16 AM

You asked "are we missing anything major?"

Yes! gelato, gelato, gelato

I'd include the Borghese too.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a 13-year-old boy, so maybe that's why I'd include more museums and churches. In general I think this looks pretty good. The Capuchin Crypt isn't anywhere near where you'll be earlier in the day, but if you're okay with a loooong walk (or Metro or bus or taxi) you can do it and it doesn't take long. The long walk would be beautiful and interesting, lots of places to stop along the way.

You can probably cover some of what you have down for Tuesday on your arrival day unless you all fall promptly asleep. Trevi. Piazza del Popolo and Santa Maria del Popolo. Etc.

There's no way I'd take two day trips, but you were expecting to hear that, right?

Gelato, pizza, fountains at night. Don't forget that stuff.

Have fun! I love Rome and wish I were returning this month.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 09:41 AM

Galleria Borghese--not to be missed.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 09:44 AM

Kevin, thanks for posting this! I am going to be in Rome for 8 days in May and I really like how you've organized your trip. I am also struggling with a side trip to Pompeii - please post back and tell us how that went? The only difference with my trip is that we plan to go to the Italian open (tennis) for a day.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

LoveItaly...you're right about the two day trips. Could probably go Mon and Thur to break it up.

saac...I knew I was light on museums. I'll make sure to include Capitoline Museum.

Grisnia...thanks for estimating my Tuesday. I'll fill up on another museum...Borghese Gallery!

Sassy...I was too embarassed to write that I can't wait to do a cannon ball into a giant TUB of gelato!!

Leely...I planned on a long walk to Capuchin Monks to stop and smell the roses on the way. Also, I'm a church nut...any I see will be explored! Night life will happen, but will depend on fatigue of others...I never get tired! If you read of a Canadian getting arrested for frollicking naked in the Trevi Fountain at 2am, it'll probably be me...lol!

bobthenavigator...you're a threepeat on Galleria Borghese. It won't get passed over.

MarieF...My plan is to update daily via a mini blog on this site. You're going to watch tennis??? Why not watch paint dry or grass grow...its much more exciting! lol!

Cheers everyone!

Kevin.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM
jgg

I just want to second Grinisa's recommendation of the Museo Criminologico. We went there with our kids and really enjoyed it. Not everything was in english, but we still found it fascinating! It is rather small, and I believe there was only one other person in it when we were there. As I recall we did it the same day we went to the Jewish Ghetto.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

That's a "twofer" on the Criminology Museum. I'll add it to the list. However, Frommer's guidebook to Rome makes no mention of it. Where is it located?
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 02:35 PM

One of the most enjoyable experience for me is to see great arts in the original setting (i.e. churches). There are quire a few Caravaggio around Rome. You can even find a Michaelangelo not far from Colosseum.

I will read the guide book, and make a point to pop into these churches.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 02:36 PM

I love that you want to stop in every church you pass on that long walk to the Capuchin Monks. However, you must realize that if you do that, you'll never get there! Keep in mind that most churches are closed in the afternoon, usually from 12:30 or 1:00 until 3:30 or 4:00.

On Day 4, on the way from the Jewish Ghetto to Santa Maria in Trastavere, you will be close to S. Cecilia in Trastavere. If you have time, it would be a great addition. Wonderful church, and don't miss going down in the crypt, walk all the way to the end for an absolutely amazing mosaic chapel.

While I really enjoyed Ostia Antica, since you're going to Pompeii, I would skip it. Since you're a church nut, there are SO many more, and you could get to a good number that day.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 02:59 PM

The Criminology Museum isn't that well known which makes it a nice break from some crowded sights. It's on the corner of Via Giulia and Via dei Gonfalone, just north of the Ponte Mazzini.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 03:03 PM

Oh, if you like macabre things, I wrote a Travel Note on the Slowtravel website called "Chills and Thrills in the Eternal City." My kids love scary things so that's why I compiled it. You might find some other things to see.
http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/rome/chills_thrills.htm
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

This is truly the coolest site! You are all so genuine and helpful! I could become addicted to this place!

Kevin.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Kevin: Looking forward to your blog! I hope it will be more exciting than watching paint dry or grass grow
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 03:23 PM

Please do a trip report when you get home!
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Actually you plan to see more of Rome in one week than I saw in 2 1/2 when I was there for a Christmas home exchange several years back--certainly in the church department anyway.

I would not do Pompeii if you are going to do Ostia. Ostia has wonderful mosaics but no frescos. Pompeii has the frescos but my personal opinion is that you don't need that long day trip because they are similar. There is nothing magical about Mount Vesuvius in my opinion. It erupted in 79 A.D. and entombed Pompeii. The end.

Just leave time for wondering about and making your own discoveries. Not everything is in the guide books!

Learn how to use the buses. The Vatican Museum, by the way, is easily a full day by itself. Don't rush.

Have fun no matter what you see or don't see! There is no right or wrong way to structure a trip so long as you are happy.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM

Kevin,

I agree with the others! My first thought for your Tuesday is to add the Borghese! Just piling on here.

Also, I would use my time to see other things and NOT do both trips to Ostia Antica and Pompeii. Stick with Pompeii. It will be a long and you will be exhausted. Even though you are going in Feb, take a wide brim hat and bottled water!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -