Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I am getting SO excited for my Italy trip.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything is booked, except for train tickets seeing as it's not until October. Question: Will I need reservations going from Rome to Naples/Pompeii, Rome to Florence, and Florence to Venice? Or can I just show up at the train station? I may buy a youth pass. If I just show up at the station 45 minutes before departure, do you think I'll make my train?

Received an email from SkyEurope informing me my flight from Budapest to Bologna was cancelled (from there I was to take the train to Florence). Oh no! But not to worry, I am flying into Rome instead and taking a train to Florence from there. It's a bit longer train ride, but not a big deal.

Here it is as of now

5 nights in Rome at the Roman and Italian b&b
3 nights in Budapest at the Hotel Carlton
3 nights in Florence at the Hotel Sampaoli (this is the budget saving portion of the trip--it's a hostel my friend recommended. 30e a night, 5 bed female dorm room)
1 night at the Locanda Silva in Venice

I wasn't even originally going to go to Venice, but it was cheaper and easier for me to fly home from there than from Florence. So, at least I will get a small (very small) taste of Venice.

I'm excited! Emailed about the Scavi tours, doubt I will hear anything for quite sometime seeing as I'm not leaving until mid October.

Wish each passing day I just can not wait..

I do feel like I'm cheating on London a bit, seeing as for the six trips to Europe I've taken I've always started with a few days in London..I hope the city will forgive me!

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:58 PM
SHADRACH

Hey,

You don't have to book trains or even show 45 minutes before. Last year, I travelled Venice-Milan-Venice and I bought the ticket around 15 minutes before from one of the self-service machines. You can also buy your ticket the night before or early in the morning, keep on sightseeing and, then, take your train.

I totally understand how you feel! I am going to Italy in September and I am very excited!

Have a wonderful trip!

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 05:07 PM

Yes, Miss Z, Shadrach is quite right-you can walk right up to the self-service machines and buy your ticket straightaway. No worries there. Have a great trip-and make sure to pick up one of the fake Rolexes that are being handed out to tourists upon arrival in Napoli-I plan on getting one in September!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 05:11 PM

I know what you mean, tomorrow starts my offical 60 day countdown until my trip to Holland/Italy. I will actually mark the days off on my Italy calendar.

It is just a wonderful feeling knowing you are going to such a fun and beautiful country. Ahh.. to see a Michelangelo...
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

How does purchasing tickets work when you have a rail pass? I've used trains in Europe before, but this is the first time I'll have one. Do I just...get on the train? Or do I still have to purchase a reservation at the machine?

Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Looks like you have planned an exciting trip. They are all wonderful cities and I'm sure you'll have memories to last a lifetime.

Enjoy!! The anticipation is half the fun.