Husband's 40th in Italy!

Search

Husband's 40th in Italy!

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Husband's 40th in Italy!

I'm surprising my husband w/a trip to Italy for his 40th birthday next week. Because we have 4 small kids, we have only 6 full days for the trip- 2 in Venice, 2 Florence and then 2 in Rome. My husband has never been to Italy and I was there only as a teenager. I would love if someone could suggest a great itinerary w/the best highlights in each place since we're so short of time, to give him a taste of the best of those 3 cities. Thanks!!
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:45 AM
ira

Hi T,

Are you flying into Venice and out of Rome?

Old May 8th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Exactly! We're arriving Thursday night in Venice, so we have Friday and Sat. there, then train to Florence Sunday morning, then train to Rome on Tuesday morning. Flying from Rome on Thursday morning.

THANKS!!
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Three cities \, a lot of distance and only 6 days is really too much.
I'd suggest two cities.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:46 AM
ira

Hi T,

May I suggest:

Fly into Venice 3 nights.

Train to Florence. Leave luggage at the train station. See Florence for a day.

From the train station, walk up to the Central Market.

Have a gelato.

Walk E to the Medici Chapel.

Walk NE to the Accademia.

Walk S down via Ricasoli to the Duomo.

Have a gelato.

Continue S on via Calzaiuoli to Pizza Signoria.

Have a glass of wine.

Continue S to the Uffizi.

Go Right upon exiting the Uffizi to the Ponte Vecchio.

Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco, 43 Borgo San Jacapo is on the other side of the river. Very pleasant atmosphere. Good food. Interesting local wines.

Return to the train station.

Train to Rome. See Rome.

Fly Home.

Have a nice visit.

Old May 8th, 2006, 07:47 AM

I agree---you will enjoy it more in only 2 cities. I would skip Florence this trip, or merely pass thru one day and spend 4 hours there. The train time is nearly 5 hours venice to Rome and they run often.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

I think you're all right about seeing only 2 cities as opposed to three but it's too late! I've already booked and paid for the train tickets from Venice to Florence and from Florence to Rome and also for hotels!

So I have to stick to 2 days Venice, 2 Florence and 2 Rome. To be specific,
we're arriving in Venice Thursday night late, probably too late to do anything. We have Friday and Saturday and Sunday morning, we're taking the train to Florence and getting there aqt 1:30 p.m. We'll be in Florence Sunday and Monday and we'll leave Tuesday morning for Rome, where we'll arrive at about 12:30 by train. So really, we have 1 1/2 days in each of Florence and Rome. I know it's a bit much, but I have to figure out a solution for what we've got!!! Now I'm really worried. Any ideas please?????

thank you!!
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Well, I agree with the others about either a day in Florence or skipping it, but if the schedule is set it is best to focus on the positive and come up with a plan that works. Don't worry - Italy is wonderful, it is your husbands's 40th and you are together with a break from 4 small children...it will be great. But, you will have to choose some priorities and focus on enjoying what you do see and don't worry about what you miss (that is true for all of us as these places offer so much). I think the hardest will be 1 1/2 days in Rome, but if that is what you have, then have a blast.

In Florence, Ira's plan sounds good. The only thing you will have to check is if Sunday/Monday have any closings due to the day of the week. With 2 days, I would spend the first afternoon with the first part of his plan (Duomo,Baptistry,Campanile, Piazza della Signoria, Accademia and maybe Medici Chapels if time).

The next morning, visit the Uffizi and walk across the Ponte Vecchio where you could spend the second afternoon exploring the Pitti Palace and Boboli Gardens and/or visiting the famous frescoes in the Brancacci Chapel at Santa Maria del Carmine. It depends on your interests, but the Uffizi, Pitti/Boboli and Brancacci Chapel would make a nice day.

In Rome, some of the most obvious suggestions are the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona and Campo dei Fiori, St. Peter's and Vatican, and the wonderful Borghese Gallery. I could go on as the list is almost endless. Have you looked at any guidebooks or the "destination" guide on this Fodor's site to help you narrow down what you want to see and do? Think about your interests and priorities and be sure to allow time for strolling, eating gelato, and leisurely dining.

I hope this helps. Have fun!
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:13 AM

Well, besides taking the husband on this trip what are you actually going to do to CELEBRATE his birthday once you are there?
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

I've already thrown him a surprise party in our house for all his (our) friends and family - it was a complete surprise and he was blown away. I had a sushi chef here make incredible sushi, had fabulous desserts, wine, music - it was a blast. Now, this is the second part - the trip. I think that's pretty good! However, do you have any ideas??

Also, I forgot to mention, someone at the hotel we're staying at in Florence booked us tickets to the Uffizi and the Accademia for the first afternoon. It's already paid for already. Do you think that's too much in an afternoon? Given that that is the plan for the first afternoon in Florence, what should be the second (and only full) day there??

thanks again for all your help. I appreciate so much your positive outlook and all suggestions!!
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM

tamara
In Florence:
If you are not the type who wants or needs to see everything in a museum, you can enjoy both the Uffizi and Accademia in the same day. The main things of interest to most people in the Accademia are, of course, the David and the Slaves/prisoners; it is nice to hang out there a bit and enjoy these amazing works, but if you don't see anything else there--don't worry about it!

I could spend hours in the Uffizi, but also I can skip whole rooms of things I don't care for. Maybe go on-line to their website, or look at Rick Steves' map of the Uffizi in his Italy book, and plan what you actually want to see; then just head to those rooms.

If you want to add a visit to a mellow and very interesting museum, right around the corner from the Uffizi is the Science museum with Galileo's instruments and his finger, of all things.

In Venice:
Don't plan too much; just wander around, get "lost" and enjoy the quiet areas.

In Rome:
Night is so fun there! Do a night walk to see all the monuments lit up; make sure to go the the Trevi fountain (crowds and all) at night and throw the traditional coins in. Sit in a cafe and soak in the special energy that is Rome at night. If you like music, the Trastevere area (did I spell that right?) has some nice music venues and is pretty lively on weekend nights.

Have a great trip!
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:10 PM
ira

Hi tamara,

If your schedule can't be changed, don't worry about it. You will enjoy the time you have in each city.

You can follow the tour I suggested in 2 days instead of one.

That will give you more time to eat gelato and drink wine.

A walk along the river at night is quite pleasant.

Have a great vsit.

Old May 8th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Hi tamarat, what a nice birthday surprise for your husband! He is a lucky fellow.

I wanted to mention that the major museums are closed in Florence on Mondays so it is good that you have reservations for Sunday afternoon.

Don't worry, you two will have a wonderful time. And once one goes to Italy they almost always return..you will know where you want to go to the next time you go to Italy.
Old May 8th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Neopolitan

Beware that if you email eileenp, you will no doubt get spammed with her attempts to sell you her jewelry and other items she likes to advertise here -- yea, "restaurant list", indeed.

Old May 8th, 2006, 01:43 PM

Yes tamarat, Neo is right. If you click on eileenp's name you will see her advertising on at least one other thread, which is against Fodor's rules. I wouldn't email her either!
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

I wanted to thank all of you for your suggestions and encouragement regarding our trip despite the hectic schedule to be (2 days in each of Venice, Florence and Rome.

If you had to pick 6 top sights in each of those cities, which would you choose?

Also, for 6 days in Italy, how much money would you think is a good amount to bring, w/o scrimping, having plenty for extras, etc. and keeping in mind that hotels and trains are already paid for?

thanks again so much for all your help!

Tamara
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:48 AM

tamara, I know you will get some great suggestions for your "6 site" question, but try NOT to do 6 top sites in Venice...it is your first stop, right? Just walk around and soak in the amazing colors and sounds of this unusual city -- visit what appeals to you, but don't spend the 2 days in Venice with a checklist. It's too dreamy!
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Annabelle,

thanks for your good idea - it's true that it's important just to roam. But what about the other cities?? And maybe I should ask, what are the top 3 or 4 sites in each city? (even in Venice - for instance, you cannot go to Venice without seeing St. Marco's plaza!) What do you all think, and in what order? My biggest concern, I guess is Rome followed by Florence.

thanks, Tamara
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Venice: - agree with others, just walk (I know it may be difficult with children). If you stand with your back to St Mark's, facing Guidecca, then walk left along the water towards Arsenale. The walk is intersting, you pass at least one excellent Gelato shop and eventually reach a pleasant park. The views back towards the Duomo and square are lovely.

Florence: Although almost cliche's, the views of Florence from both the Piazza Michelangelo and from Fiesole (bus 7 from the station) are marvellous.

Rome: the Colosseum and St Peter's. I don't care how much they appear "tourist traps" , they are both magnificent.
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:38 PM

tamarat, I read your post as though it was just you and your husband that were going to Italy..am I correct? Or will you be bringing your four children with you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -