16 nights Ireland by public transportation

We are spending 16 nights in Ireland in September and our rough plan is
2 nights Galway....arriving in Dublin from Canada
2 nights Inishmore
2 nights Doolin
4 nights Killarney
5 nights Dingle
1 night Ennis...to fly home next day from Shannon
While in Doolin on second day was wondering if a day spent in Ennistymon was well spent.
Its about a 45 min bus ride from Doolin.
Also while in Killarney I also wondered if a day in Listowell would be worth it...its about 80 min. bus ride.
Trying to see as much as we can without travelling every day.
My husband and I are in our early 60,s and are active....looking forward to walks and bike riding.
Greatful for any opinnions or suggestions
thanks sooz
Old May 29th, 2013, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.galwaytourcompany.com/gtc/daytours.jsp
Great day tours from Galway north and south. The bus station has tours and you get them from there in the morning. I have done just public transportation in Ireland and did ok. Do you not want to spend time in Dublin for a couple of nights? I love Dublin. Five nights in Dingle but be a bit much.
Old May 30th, 2013, 03:35 PM

Without your own transport 2 nights in Doolin is questionable and 5 nights in Dingle is even more questionable. You should be thinking of places with transport options, or re think not driving.
Old May 30th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

We were planning to fly to Inishmore from Galway then taking the ferry to Doolin. I thought on the day we arrive in Doolin we could maybe visit Cliffs of Moher...I understand there is a walking route from Doolin. Then the next day I wondered about spending it in Ennistymon or maybe we should just move on from Doolin after one night.
Lots to do in Killarney after arriving from Doolin for 3 full days with the Killarney National Park on our doorstep....maybe even Kenmare or Listowel for the day???
My reasoning for 5 nights in Dingle (which are 4 full days)
is that on one day I would like to go to Blasket Island. Maybe go horseback riding on another day. Possibly a local tour to area sites on another day. And also there is a trad festival on while we are there. With those things in mind do you think its still too long???
thanks so much for your feedback
sooz
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:05 AM

There is a walking tour of the Burren which goes out from Ballyvaughan. contact Shane Connolly on [email protected]

I like the Dingle peninsula I loved Dingle the Fishing Port, I don't like Disney does Ireland Dingle, but as there is a music festival on then you have a legitimate reason for being there and just ignore me.

Listowel is on my list of the best Heritage towns and Kenmare is handy for Beara. I am not a fan of the peninsula tours but progress is progress so time Kenmare to match these tours and see Beara before it catches kerryitas and go's tourist mad.

I am not anti tourist I am anti grab the tourist $. anywhere with more gift shops than Butchers is generally more expensive.
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:32 AM

Forgot this link
http://www.irishtrails.ie/trails.aspx?c=Clare
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:56 AM

Hi sooz,

You will have a great time.I was wondering how you were going to get from Galway to Doolin. Great idea with the ferry and a great way to arrive in town! Doolin is very walkable and there is indeed a walk to the Cliffs of Moher. You can also walk back to the docks and get a ferry to the Aran Islands. I went to Innishear and loved it. Took a jitney and walked for the rest of the afternoon. Might have been my best day in Ireland.

I prefer Kenmare to Killarney and agree with T2P that seeing the Beara Penninsula before it "takes off" is a smart idea. Don't know about tours of Beara out of Kenmare/Killarney, but I'm sure they exist!

We were in Dingle for five nights and had a great time, but I have to agree that we could have shortened it and still been happy. Not disappointed over the time spent there, just would have been fine if we had four nights. However, we had a great rate at a cottage and "sitting still" in one place for a while suited us. Travelling by public transportation, I imagine that would be attractive to you as well.

Upon the arrangement of the owner of my B&B in Doolin I got a cab ride to Lehinch from the Doolin docks after my day on Innishear. He was very reasonable and mentioned that he also gives personal tours of western Ireland. He mentioned some places that I later checked out and he had great suggestions. He was easy to be with. If you are interested I'll see if I still have his card (I don't think so). If I don't, I'll contact the B&B. They would have it easily at hand.

You must be excited!
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Love your suggestions so far...thanks so much!
Tony thanks for the links for Irish trail-that will be very handy to have and I know we can use it.
I totally understand how you feel about high tourist areas, I agree. That is why we want to experience activities away from the middle of towns as much as we can and I know its a bit more difficult when travelling by bus as their main routes are high tourist areas so we are trying to work our way around that without travel every day.
I really feel I want to spend a day in Listowel if possible so I may try and work that in from Killarney on one day.
I have looked into tour of Beara Peninsula as I really want to experience that as well...it appeals to me much more that ROK but I havent been able to find any tours from Killarney but there is one from Kenmare on Tuesdays during the summer and I dont know if that extends into Sept. or not. I have emailed them but havent heard back.
I am considering taking a night away from Killarney and Dingle to spend 2 nights in Kenmare but again dont want to always be on the road.
Livingright, am glad to see you did enjoy 5 nights in Dingle ...we are staying at the Coastline guest house which is about a 10 minute walk to town along the water....hopefully a quieter alternative to being right in town. As I said earlier, a priority is to spend an afternoon on Blasket, the history is so interesting so I hope it works out.
Any feedback on Ennistymon while we are in Doolin or do you think Ballyvaughan is better... Both are easily accessable by bus. It appears Ennistymon is bigger with more things to do for a day unless we decide on a walking tour from Ballyvaughan.
And YES...we are getting sooo excited. When we booked our flight in Feb. it seemed forever till Sept but now its just around the corner
thanks again for your help
sooz
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:42 AM

What dates in September?? Doolin gets the overflow from the Lisdoonvarna matchmaking festival and wouldn't tick any box I have on those weekends? You might also tie in with Clifden arts week which is where we aim to go every year. Lots of options around Clifden for the Connemara but might mean a taxi or two although there is cycle hire in town,
Old May 31st, 2013, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks Tony
we arrive Sept 1st and fly home Shannon Sept 17th...I believe Clifden arts festival is after we leave.