Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Eurostar Paris / London stations - proximity to which airports?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me if both of the Paris airports (CDG, BVA) are good for connecting with the Paris Eurostar station?

Likewise, are any of the London airports other than LHR good for connecting with the London Eurostar station?

Thanks!

Carole
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 03:35 PM

RER Line B runs directly from Gare du Nord (where the Eurostar arrives and departs in Paris) up to Charles De Gaulle Airport.
Waterloo, the Eurostar terminal in London, isn't where the Heathrow or Gatwick express trains leave from, but you could get to Paddington or Victoria easily enough by the tube (or just take the tube all the way to Heathrow - I believe it's on the Picadilly line.)
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 03:36 PM

For clarity, Heathrow is on the Picadilly line. I'm not sure which tube lines stop at Waterloo, but the connection to the Picadilly line would be easy enough.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. martytravels!

Carole
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 10:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are 5 primary airports around London. Probably the easiest connection to Waterloo is LGW which has trains to London Bridge and then a short tube ride to Waterloo.

Next is probably London City - which has connections to Canningtown where you can take the Jubilee line to Waterloo.

LHR isn't too convenient - you can take the Picadilly line all the way to Leicester Square and the the Northern Line to Waterloo, or take the Picadilly line to P. Circus and Bakerloo line to the Waterloo. Another more expensive option is to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then the Bakerloo line to Waterloo.

The other two statiions (Luton and Stansted) are north of London and you'd take a train into London and then the tube to Waterloo.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 04:35 AM
ira

Hi ca,

The main airports for Paris are CDG and Orly (ORY).

Beauvais (BVA) is some distance from town.

From whence will you be traveling?

Old Dec 24th, 2005, 09:17 AM

An alternate route from LGW to Waterloo would be to take a train to Clapham Junction and transfer there to a train to Waterloo.

If you fly into BVA, take the shuttle bus to Porte Maillot. From there take metro line 1 to Chatelet. Then you'll need to transfer to metro line 4 and take it to Gare du Nord. Or you can walk through the tunnels from the Chatelet metro station to the Chatelet les Halles RER station and take either the RER B or D to Gare du Nord.

To get from Orly to Gare du Nord, take the Orlyval train to the Antony RER station and transfer there to the RER B, taking it directly to Gare du Nord.

Old Dec 24th, 2005, 09:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
TimS' alternate LGW route through Clapham Junction is a good one, and probably the quickest. The main reason I didn't mention it is Clapham Junction is a huge place (I think it is the largest/busiest station in the UK but I may be wrong) and can be confusing.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 10:01 AM

An alternative from Gatwick is to get the Thameslink to London Bridge, cross the platform and get the next train (they're ery few minutes) to Waterloo East. It's a hundred or two yards' walk through lots of covered walkways to Waterloo International. But they're all lit by natural light, clean, and step free - which tube and Clapham Junction connections aren't

This also almost works from Luton, from where you also get the Thameslink to Waterloo East. There are more stairs that way round - but it's still easier than getting off the Thameslink at Kings Cross.

Incidentally, the easiest way from City is now to take the DLR to Bank, then the Drain to Waterloo. And the best price/hassle tradeoff from LHR is probably the Heathrow Connect train (signed as going to Ealing Broadway, but it goes a lot further) to Paddington, then the Bakerloo line tube: no steps, a lot cheaper than the Heathrow Express, and fewer crowds and walking than the tube. Or bus to Feltam, then train to Waterloo (Yes this pseudo-expertise does sound anoraky, but the alternative right now is wrapping presents)

For completeness: From Stansted, train to Liverpool Street, Central Line to Bank, then Drain.

Alternatively, fly straight to Paris or Brussels.
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

ira - to answer your question... we're coming into LHR from the US (already have RT tickets purchased). From there we will go directly down to Rome and later to Paris, and then to London.

Alternatively, we could go from London to Paris first, then down to Rome, then back up to London.

Either way, our stay in London needs to be last. Also, airfare seems lower if we do a round-trip from LHR to FCO, or CDG to FCO (rather than one way flights). To get between London and Paris we plan to go on the Eurostar via the chunnel, hence my question on proximity from the Eurostar stations to the airports.

also ira, thanks for the correction... I meant to include ORY. I happened to be looking at Ryan Air into BVA... but that's no longer a consideration. In fact, none of the budget airlines are working out schedule-wise for us, so we're planning on using the airlines that go into the "main" city airports.

If we do the round-trip CDG to FCO, is it easier, on the return, to connect from CDG with the Eurostar, or just fly back to London (LHR)? I'm still not sure of the proximity of the Paris Eurostar Station to CDG.

Thank you.

Carole
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 06:36 PM

The Eurostar terminates at Gare du Nord, a 35-minute train ride from CDG.
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Robespierre.

That's exactly what I was needing to know. I think I have one last question. If we're flying into Paris, and then going directly over to London to our hotel (Marriott County Hall), would it be easier to take the Eurostar, given that it's 35 min. away, or catch another flight from CDG to LHR and get transportation to our hotel?
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 10:02 PM

Since your hotel is close by Waterloo, the London Eurostar station, I'd recommend you take the train. Return (roundtrip) tickets are usually cheaper than single (one-way) tickets. Just throw away the portion you don't use. Buying tickets well in advance will get you the cheapest seats (if available).
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 03:24 AM
ira

Hi CA,

You might want to consider taking the train between Rome and Paris.

You can have a private, 1 cl compartment for 2 for 320E, which is less than the lowest possible AF RT fare for 2 between Rome and Paris.

See http://www.voyages-sncf.com

You can fly Easyjet from Rome Ciampino to London Gatwick.

See www.whichbudget.com

You might want to do this:

Fly into LHR
Eurostar from London to Paris
Visit Paris
Train from Paris Bercy to Rome
Visit Rome
Fly from Ciampino to Gatwick
Visit London?
Fly home from LHR

Hope this helps.

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:10 AM

I think ira is spot on. I would even streamline the itinerary by skipping the Eurostar bit (unless you are hell bound on taking what you Americans insist on calling the "Chunnel", a term that has not been used in Europe since Harold Wilson! ), and using BMI to fly LHR-CDG. BMI is a British airline part of Star Alliance, who flies low cost ex LHR into CDG. They are usually much cheaper than the Eurostar. Bookings on www.flybmi.com.
FYI: LHR-Waterloo by tube = a good one hour
You have to be at Waterloo at least 30 mn before train departure
Waterloo-Gare du Nord= 3 hours (in spite of the advertised 2h40, delays are frequent)
So: LHR-Gare du Nord = about 5 hours

LHR-CDG by plane is 50 mn
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 09:22 AM

p.s. The train will get you from downtown Paris to the Marriott about as fast (and much calmer) than flying. Eurostar Gare du Nord to Waterloo, then walk ~10 mins, taxi or #76 bus to County Hall stop, right at the hotel front door.

- or -

RER B Gare du Nord to CDG
Stand in check-in line
Stand in security line
Fly to LHR
Immigration
Customs
Baggage
Taxi, shuttle, or public transport to County Hall

From a logistical point of view, the simplest itinerary would be to fly straight through Heathrow to Rome (preferably booked through on a partner airline so you don't have to do the arrival-departure dance), train to Paris, train to London.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 09:59 AM

I recently landed at Heathrow and had a Eurostar reservation for several hours later - i took the Airbus from Heathrow to nearby Feltham train station (1.5 pounds, about 25 min, but only leaves from Terminals 1, 2, 3 - not 4) and then from Feltham took a train directly to Waterloo station (about 30 min) - I decided to do this rather than the Tube or Heathrow Express Paddington then tube route because i had heavy bags and didn't want to go thru the tube at rush hour.
I've found the Airbus-Feltham rail link to be seamless and also a whole lot cheaper than the Heathrow Express route and easier than the tube. Airbuses run every few minutes from the Central Bus Stand at terminals 1, 2 and 3.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you.

I hadn't considered going betweeen Paris and Rome via train. I thought for 4 people (2 adults, 2 kids) that might be more than flying? Round-trip tix for 4 pax (w/ taxes) are $725 (USD) on Alitalia.

How long does the train take from Paris to Rome (or vice versa)?

ira - is there a way to look at www.voyages-sncf.com in English?

Carole
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 01:18 PM

It's about a 14-hour ride. The 19:00 from Paris Bercy arrives at Rome Termini at 09:42. Some of the TGV trips are slightly faster, but require a change of trains.

To see SNCF in English, scroll down to the bottom and punch the little Union Jack at the left.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

scratch that last request ira - I found the English version of the site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -