Hiking in Switzerland

Search

Hiking in Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiking in Switzerland

We are planning a family trip ( 6 adults) for June of 2011. We will also have a 1 year old toddler that will be in the back packs of the 3 men. We have been to the Dolomites hiking , which we LOVED, and the Lauterbrunnen area which was also beautiful. Where would be a fun place for us to do mountain hiking without redoing our previous trips. Also--we would like to perhaps do the hiking for 5 days and then travel elsewhere for the second 5 days, that would be non-hiking. I have looked into Engadine Valley but am afraid that it will not compare in beauty to the Dolomites or BO. As you can see, I sure need direction from my fellow Swiss travelers!!

Thank you!
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 06:59 PM

I suggest a trip to the Val D'Herens (especially Arolla) and the Lotschoental Valley. Bettmeralp is also lovely with great hiking. If you go early in June, you won't have the tourist problem.

I have trip reports on both areas. You might get more "stunning" views on the high route in Chamonix, but you may encounter too much snow.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 09:26 PM

Hi danen5,

I think you're on the right track with the Engadin -- it IS as beautiful (if not more so) than the Jungfrau region, and it also has fewer English-speaking tourists. This is where many German-speaking folks take their hiking and biking vacations, and those are the folks who you'll likely be seeing. I spent a week in the town of Zuoz once, and there isn't even a souvenir store in town -- I loved it!

Here are some links to give you an impression of the area:

Scuol
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/4166c/a8885/

St. Moritz
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/4166c/a88f9/

www.scuol.ch

www.engadin.stmoritz.ch

If you spent your first five days in the Engadin, you could take the spectacular Bernina Express down to Italy and spend the next five days at the Italian lakes. Or -- you might want to do the itinerary in the reverse to hit Italy before it gets too hot.

Have fun with your research!

s
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

HI--I'm back--sorry for the delay. We have pretty much decided on the Engadin region for our hikes and then take the Bernina Express to Lugano. SO--does anyone know of a site for chalet rentals in the St. Moritz or Pontresina area? Is this a good home base for our hikes? Also --I would really like input on this sketch of an itinerary including the Lugano area. Again, we would appreciate information on lodging there as well. THANK !!
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 05:19 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.photoseek.com/alps3.html

I found this website doing research for a similar trip. Beautiful photos and a sample hiking itinerary of the Engadine area. (Dreaming about next year!)
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Does it have to be a Chalet? What about a rental apartment? I rented through this website and was very satisfied:

www.interhome.ch

Avoid St. Moritz which is basically a noisy and ugly town. Pontresina, Celerina, Silvaplana and Sils are excellent choices to stay.

I.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

I looked at interhome.ch and homeaway.com but have not located lodging for 6-8 adults. A travel agent told me that this area does not have many chalets for rent as do other areas of Switzerland. Is this possible? Should I redirect my vacation search? It is still early so I am open to opinions. Thank you in advance for any help.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Hi danen5,

I think your travel agent needs a bit more experience --

I just went to the central site for St. Mortiz, at

www.engadin.stmoritz.ch

and eventually drilled down to the page to book holiday apartments:

http://www.engadin.stmoritz.ch/somme...nungen_buchen/

I picked a random date of 11 June, and input six persons, three bedrooms. I got 18 pages of results with about 10 apartments on each page. Please note that holiday apartments normally rent for one week, from Saturday to Saturday. I would also do, as others recommended above, look for an apartment outside of the St Moritz itself.

Here's the site for Pontresina:

http://www.pontresina.ch/en/summer/h...day-homes.html

I did the same thing and found three pages of apartments with about 10 apartments per page.

Have fun with your research!

s
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Wow--thank you so much --these are great sites. Do you have any personal experience with a chalet or home in the area? We would like to be close to a city where we could stroll about when not hiking. Thanks-
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 09:02 PM

Hi danen5,

Sorry, no, I don't. I stayed in a hotel when I spent a week in Zuoz, and I'm actually in Scuol now also at a hotel. I think that either Scuol or Pontresina would be good bases for you for your evening strolling, or maybe Sils or Silvaplana. For me, the lakes at Sils and Silvaplana would be a big draw. They are not cities at all, but cosy towns with lots of nooks and crannies to explore after your hikes.

BTW, I am surrounded here in Scuol by really serious hikers. It's rather cold and wet out (highs around 60 deg), and these folks don't even notice!

Have fun!

s
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Hello again ---I am all set for lodging in Engelberg for our first 3 nights. We would like to be in Engadine for the next 4, but have had little luck finding a chalet for such a short term. Does anyone know of such a "find"? Sils and Silvaplana look awesome due to the lakes. Thanks ----
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Hello again - I have been continuing my search for lodging for our big family in the Engadine Valley. Today I received a reply from an apartment owner who said that there is only ONE lift open the first of June, and it is from Diavolezza - all other mountain lifts are closed this time of year ! Is this possibly correct information? He also said that May 30th to June 4th is a horrible time to visit since the weather is always sloppy. I know that we are running a chance with weather but have also read that the Lower Engadine has 320 days of continuous sunshine. I already have a reservation in Engelberg for 3 nights --should I rethink this or move forward? I sure would appreciate some input from those of you who have been there. Thanks.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 07:59 AM

That sounds very possible that many lifts would not yet be open at that time. I went to Pontresina this year from June 1st to 11th and missed the opening oF Muotta's Muragl lift (opened this year on June 12th).
Look up the specific hikes/lifts that you hope to take. Each will have its own website with opening date (or email the tourist office for each lift to ask).
We went up from Scuol to Motta Nalun and this was open and spectacular!
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 08:51 AM

Hi again danenS,

Yes, that is likely true. All cable cars have to have maintenance every year, so they shut down when the crowds thin out. At some places, it's November, at others it's May/June.

Yes, weather can be wet and drizzly all over Switzerland in the springtime! I also have heard that the Engadin gets the most sunshine of all Switzerland -- though I wouldn't put a number of sunny days on it. I'm not sure what to tell you. As you say, one simply runs a chance with weather, especially since we are talking about 8-9 months in the future.

I certainly never expected to see November weather in August when I was in Scuol this year, yet that's what happened. I think you just bring layers of clothes so you can adapt to the conditions, come, and enjoy it.

Mountain weather is going to be mountain weather, whether in the Engadin, the Oberland, or in central Switzerland.

Anyway, have fun!

s
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Mokka4 --It sounds like you traveled there this Spring, the same time of year as we are planning for 2011. What city/town did you locate in, and what were your favoite hikes? By any chance did you write a trip report on this for Fodors? thanks.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:01 AM

We based ourselves in Pontresina for 5 nights, in addition to visiting Chur (great) and Zuerich (also great). Many of the Ferienwohnungenrent for less than 7 nights during that time since it IS pre-season.
We specifically stayed at Chesa Nadig with 3 bedrooms, but there are many online listings at www.engadin.stmoritz.ch/sommer/en.
Keep in mind that Pontresina town is a good 15-20 minute walk above the train station(not a problem if driving) St. Moritz was too expensive and "chi-chi" for us. I Loved Samedan as well, through smaller.
MY trip report(currently underway) can be found under my name.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

mokka Do you have a link for Chesa Nadig and would you recomment staying there? We will have a car. Pontresina seems like a good base location. How was your weather? I looked for your trip report. In the search bar, I typed in Switzerland trip reports. What am I missing?
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 02:31 PM

Under Forums
Europe and scroll down to Switzerland, OR if you just click on Mokka4 all my posts should come up. My report is under stg like "Engadine and Zurich: Can a Love of Switzerland and Fear of Heights Co-exist?"
I liked our apt very much - it had 3 bedrooms, but just one bath and a tiny kitchen. Livingroom/sitting room with a satellite TV and oriel window with terrific sunsets. I just wonder if you checked my above link-scroll down to Pontresina on the left column, put in yout dates and search OR write the TI for a list of apts which might better suit your individual needs (ie: Larger), you might find something even better~ there were SO MANY choices! Nadig was above town itself, therefore quiet. Weather, except for one day in Soglio. sunny and warm with cool air-just lovely.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 02:44 PM

Just checked my link as above.
Entering 6 people and minimum 3 bedrooms in Pontresina for dates of June 1st through June 5 (4 nights) I get two pages of possiblities, ranging from 560 - 1400 CHF.
Chesa Nadig apt where we stayed DOES have 4 Bedrooms-imagine that- we were told not to open a mystery door, and didn't!
Three of the bedrooms have a sink for use, but again, only One shower and WC...their price is 755-795 Chf.
Pictures for apts online AND in english--so easy to peruse/use!
Happy hunting!
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 03:07 AM

I recently hiked around Mont Blanc which included 3 days of hiking through Switzerland. The first two days were comparatively boring but there is some great scenery on the Swiss/Italian border. If you'd like to see some photos have a look at: http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/Tour_de_Mont_Blanc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -