Days trips outside Stockholm and Helsinki

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for suggestions for day trips by car from Stockholm. I will probably go to Mariefred one day, have been told Uppsala is well worth a trip (but not sure it takes up a full day) and also was thinking of the islands around the archipeligo (Vaxholm etc) which we could drive to. I have 3 full days to explore so any suggestions would be great. We have been to Trosa but any similar ideas south of the city would be welcomed.

I will also have the same opportunity in Helsinki - though just for one or two days maximum. I am planning a trip to Tallinn by ferry and will spend a day in Helsinki itself, but any suggestions of local sights and beauty spots within a days drive would be great.

Thanks in anticipation
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 06:12 PM
kja

I enjoyed the better part of a day in Uppsala and a half day boat to Vaxholm and back. I trust you realize that Stockholm itself easily has enough to warrant a stay of 4 or 5 full days.

I had 2 full days in Helsinki, and wish I'd had more.

Good luck fitting everything you want into the time you have!
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by phmemphis
I'm looking for suggestions for day trips by car from Stockholm. I will probably go to Mariefred one day, have been told Uppsala is well worth a trip (but not sure it takes up a full day) and also was thinking of the islands around the archipeligo (Vaxholm etc) which we could drive to. I have 3 full days to explore so any suggestions would be great. We have been to Trosa but any similar ideas south of the city would be welcomed.

I will also have the same opportunity in Helsinki - though just for one or two days maximum. I am planning a trip to Tallinn by ferry and will spend a day in Helsinki itself, but any suggestions of local sights and beauty spots within a days drive would be great.

Thanks in anticipation
Why drive to only to Vaxholm, while you can travel to it by (historical) ferry?
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback and advice. We have spent a few days in Stockholm before, so have been lucky enough so see some of it. Unfortunately, time is limited on this trip, but hope to get back again another time.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 02:56 PM

To see the archipelago by car (and boat) I'd drive to Stavsnäs and from there I'd take a boat to Sandhamn. The road from Stockholm is quite nice and the boat takes less that an hour. I wouldn't want to spend more than an hour in those boats as they are pretty old and not too comfortable. Once in Sandhamn I'd walk across the forest to the other side of the island (Trouville) where the beaches are. The beaches are tiny and not much to write home about but it's a nice walk.

To get to Vaxholm by car I'd start from the south (Värmdöleden), past Gustavsberg and then into Värmdö, ferry to Rindö and then ferry to Vaxholm. Just before Gustavsberg you could stop to take a look at Artipelag, a private art museum. Park on the first parking lot and take the boardwalk by the water. On the way back to Stockholm you could drive around Djursholm, the poshest suburb.

You could combine Uppsala with Skokloster or Sigtuna.

Hope this gives you some ideas!
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ticino - great suggestions. Much appreciated.