Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to book with USAir for Sept. trip to Germany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:18 AM
cherylforeurope

I wanted to book with USAir for our upcoming trip because they have a direct flight from Philly to Munich...but not sure how stable they are and was told they cancel flights at will.
Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:30 AM
ira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi C,

>...was told they cancel flights at will.<

Everyone does it.

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:36 AM

There is also the concern that the company will not emerge from bankruptcy protection by the end of June so yours is not an easy decision.

I know that USAirways is practicially the only game in town in and out of PHL but have you looked into alternative departure points or checked on all possible booking sites (and by this I mean mobissimo, onetravel, and itasoftware to name a few) for alternative airlines that might offer a competitive and more worry-free price/schedule?
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:49 AM

I'd be wary. If you do book it, definitely use a credit card, which will protect you in case of bankruptcy.

If you can't find another airline from PHL, you might want to look at Newark or BWI.

We were forced to use BWI a couple of years ago when AerLingus cancelled our flight from Newark. It was very pleasant - a relatively uncrowded airport and parking was dirt cheap.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 04:02 AM

Any airline can cancel a flight "at will." I have flown USAirways to Europe via Philadelphia on five occasions and each has been on-time and pleasant.

Is the Munich flight on an A330? If so, it's a great airplane. Far better than the tattered old 767s.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 04:19 PM

USAirways is having trouble emerging from bankruptcy by June 30th. They are now attempting to push back the date to August 31st. Their plan must be approved by the bankruptcy courts. Also one of the loans they received from their subsidiary is contingent on them finding matching funds. The increasing costs of fuel is adding to their difficulties.

The current consumer law says that you can rebook your ticket on a stand-by status for no more than $25 each way on a US-based airline with an EXACT same route (PHL-Munich) if USAir liquidates. As other posters suggested, look into other US airlines with the same routing for possible options.

Take all this into consideration before you book a flight for Sept. Use a credit card if you book. Though this supposedly gives you some protection, check with your credit card company for sure. Many cards say they will not help in disputes beyond 60 days from the date of the statement containing the charge. If you buy the ticket now, you are far out of that window.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:04 AM

I've seen variations on this questions here for more than a year. I'd go ahead and book. Corporate bankruptcy is just a business move these days anyhow.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:32 AM
rex

<<Corporate bankruptcy is just a business move these days anyhow.>>

But <i><b>failure to emerge from bankruptcy</b></i> (as of a certain date, set by the court) has traditionally signaled that it's just around the corner to cease operations.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:38 AM

One might hazard a guess that given the recent merger proposal between USAirways and AmericaWest (and assuming that merger is approved) that &quot;having trouble emerging from bankruptcy&quot; won't have quite the significance it once did.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:38 AM

Rex: I guarantee the feds will bail them out before that happens, while Amtrak is left to wither on the vine.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:45 AM

Methinks rex protesteth too much. The likelihood of USAirways failing to operate is about one in a thousand. The legal and political devices that can be used by airlines are almost endless, and there are enough investors with lots of money to keep it going indefinitely. Personally, I wouldn't worry. I've flown USAir literally a few hundred times over the years, both domestically and to various European destinations. And I'm willing to be they will continue to operate. If they go belly up before you fly to Europe I will personally pay for any additional expense you incur in getting another flight. Good luck.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:48 AM

I meant to say &quot;I am willing to bet...&quot;
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:15 AM

Don't worry! The others are mostly correct - bankruptcy doesn't happen overnight. I've flown US Airways for several hundrend thousand miles and a few times to Europe - all very good; mostly on time; excellent service on the European flights; etc.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:10 AM

I reside in Charlotte &amp; am also held hostage by US Airways &amp; their monopoly here. I have flown Lufthansa in the past direct to MUC &amp; still gotten the miles for US Air. If you are that concerned, I would try them first (although I am not sure if they depart from Philly) but I see no need to worry based on the recently announced merger w/AmWest. I have flights booked w/US Air currently through the end of 2005...
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:44 AM
rex

I think that I made a true statement - - that failure to emerge from bankruptcy, as of the court-established date - - is a very bad sign.

That said, the examples of airlines ceasing operations <i><b>in the United States&lt;/b</b></i> with no notice, due to bankruptcy, prolonged or otherwise - - seems to be rare or non-existent. So, yes, I too would be willing to book a flight on USAir in 2005 (and I agree that the AmericaWest merger would play into my &quot;gamble&quot.

But in Europe, bankruptcy (especially when coupled with accounting scandal or crime) HAS resulted in chaotic cessation of operations - - more than once, during the time I have been on this board - - Debonair, Volare, Sabena (sorta re-emerged, later) and (for a while), Swiss (formerly SwissAir).