Question concerning drive from Glasgow -FtWilliam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two quesitons if you don't mind - planning on taking DW and 4 other adults on a overnight trip in a reasonably sized van from Glasgow to Ft William, late June 2016 to enjoy the Jacobite train, then return past Pitlochry to spend the night after the train in Perth. A Fodorite posting about 2 years ago mentioned taking in lunch in Tyndrum as if it was a foregone conclusion this was obviously the place to lunch when driving along the A82. What, if anything is special about this location? Would you recommned a lunch stop there? or elsewhere? Also, I see numerous strong recommendations for Clachaig Inn just to the south of Glen Coe. Is there consensus this is a good place to stop 1 night for a party going the next day to Ft. Willaim?, or should I just get a place in Ft William? Suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 06:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> Clachaig Inn just to the south of Glen Coe. <<

The Clachaig is IN Gencoe. It would be much better IMO than staying IN Ft William.

>>A Fodorite posting about 2 years ago mentioned taking in lunch in Tyndrum as if it was a foregone conclusion this was obviously the place to lunch when driving along the A82. What, if anything is special about this location? Would you recommned a lunch stop there?<<

I wish you could provide the link to the thread -- Tyndrum is convenient for the route (this is very rural territory so one's choices are limited) but I can't imaging is being a 'must stop' or being 'foregone'

Tyndrum, Crianlarich, and Bridge of Orchy . . . If I had to stop for a meal through part of the A82 it would probably be the Bridge of Orchy Hotel http://www.bridgeoforchy.co.uk/dining.asp

But really -- the best place is to wait til you get to the Clachaig. It is about 2-ish hours from GLA to the Clachaig.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 06:36 PM

I wouldn't want to drive anything larger than a corolla on those highways, especially the one east to Perth. I hope you are really comfortable passing oncoming cars at high speed with 12-18" clearance, I am certainly not.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 06:44 PM

>>I wouldn't want to drive anything larger than a corolla on those highways, especially the one east to Perth. I hope you are really comfortable passing oncoming cars at high speed with 12-18" clearance, I am certainly not.<<

First of all I assume the OP means a minivan/people mover sized vehicle which is not all that large. And the A82 is a fine road -- not narrow at all. As for the 'road east to Perth' . . . The A86 is a bit narrower but still fine. And the A9 is the main north/south route. No problem on any of them in a mini van/
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Janis. Very good feedback. I will exercise due caution with the roads. I may prove to be the proverbial slow non-Scottish tourist, who makes life hard on locals trying to make time on their roads, but I shall strive to blend in as carefully as possible.

Also, most mapping functions show Clachaig Inn to be 2.4 miles south of Glencoe _town center_. Perhaps I should have been more clear. If one is referring to the entire "glen," as in "valley," then yes, the Inn is within Glen Coe.
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 09:26 AM

>>Also, most mapping functions show Clachaig Inn to be 2.4 miles south of Glencoe _town center_.<<

Oh, I see what you mean. That is the problem w/ mapping sites. There is no real 'town' and no 'town centre' as such. It really just a small village. When most people speak of Glencoe they mean the glen and the visitors centre. But yes the Clachaig is a couple of miles from the village 'proper' and right IN Glencoe.

>>I may prove to be the proverbial slow non-Scottish tourist, who makes life hard on locals trying to make time on their roads, but I shall strive to blend in as carefully as possible. <<

Don't worry about your speeds. Drive as fast or slow as you are comfortable. The locals are used to the roads and will overtake (pass) you. Also don't worry about tailgaters . . . and <u>definitely</u> don't speed up on a straight bit if someone is right on your tail. They are doing that so they can pass at the first clear opportunity. Once any cars behind you to overtake -- sure, speed up if you are comfortable doing so.
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 03:14 PM

I am not the only one posting here who was squeamish driving highland highways (in my case a Passat). The main highway up to glencoe is being improved to a wider standard but still has narrow stretches esp around Loch Lomond.

The OP might be surprised how often single lane stretches appear on these main highways. The warning sign for a single lane stretch is, "oncoming vehicle in the middle of the road."
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 04:37 PM

There are no single tracks on any of the roads the OP will be driving so that is a red herring.

And "Oncoming vehicles in the Middle of the Road" signs are only partly because of the width of the road -- it is more about the apex of the curve. I have driven in the Highlands a LOT (but live in the States) and none of the places on the OP's route are scary/narrow. Are they narrower than one is used to in the States? Sure. Too narrow to pass alongside oncoming cars - no. Other than single tracks (which again don't apply to this itinerary) the 'too narrow places' are mostly in villages where cars are parked on both sides of the road. But 1) speeds are slow in those villages/towns (speed limits are strictly enforced) and 2) there are hardly any villages/towns on this route.
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

I totally get what Janis is trying to convey. Rest assured I will be the picture of caution, and will be happy to yield to those who wish to use the road in a more assertive fashion. Will also make use of local information and knowledge on this, when we get there.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 06:12 AM
ESW

All the major routes in the highlands are fine to drive. It is only when you get onto the minor roads when you encounter narrower roads with more bends, including blind bends. Again just use common sense. Drive at the speed you feel comfortable with and pull over at the first chance to let faster vehicles get past - you won't go far wrong. The worst people are those who pootle along often in the centre of the road, regardless of the long tail of traffic growing increaingly frustrated behind them.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 06:33 AM

Rather than a red herring, single lane bridges and viaducts are extremely common on highlands highways, even as frequent as once a mile mile for some stretches.

See http://www.phouka.com/travel/other/signs/signs.html

In the USA these situations (which on highways only occur in construction zones) would merit a temporary traffic light scheme for the one lane section, allowing traffic only in one direction at a time.

A single track road is an entirely different, low speed road concept.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 06:54 AM

Question to the naysayers: What else does this sign indicate other than a single lane stretch of highway ahead?

We interpreted the sign to mean that 2 vehicles cannot be coincident in this stretch of road which is the same thing a a single lane stretch. Certainly a car and a coach cannot occupy the same stretch at the same time when this sign appears, possibly 2 compact cars could. But that's not really a 2 lane situation.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 08:15 AM

not sure which sign you mean. The one posted there is "Road narrows". The text below usually appears where there's a 90 degree bend, usually under a railway bridge, where larger vehicles hog more than their share of the road.

It does happen on A roads. But rarely
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 08:55 AM

>>Rather than a red herring, single lane bridges and viaducts are extremely common on highlands highways, even as frequent as once a mile mile for some stretches. <<

Driving in most of Scotland (other than in the city centres) is a joy -- gorgeous scenery, good roads, mostly considerate drivers. But if one is a hesitant or insecure driver - then of course it will be hard(er)

>>Question to the naysayers: What else does this sign indicate other than a single lane stretch of highway ahead?<<

No - it means the roadway narrows, not that it is single track.

>>We interpreted the sign to mean that 2 vehicles cannot be coincident in this stretch of road which is the same thing a a single lane stretch.<<

You interpreted it incorrectly.

>> Certainly a car and a coach cannot occupy the same stretch at the same time when this sign appears<<

Actually, they <i>can</i> . . . Unless maybe there are cars parked on both sides of the road.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 12:47 PM
ESW

Ignoring motorways, there are three different sorts of roads in Britain. A dual carriageway is two roads with a division down the centre. Traffic goes in opposite directions on the two carriageways.

A single carriage way or lane doesn't have a central reservation separating the two flows of traffic. Some of these roads, especially the main roads can be very wide and there is plenty of space for cars to pass easily. Single track unclassified roads in the country can be narrower and there won't be as much space for cars to pass, but these tend to country roads and not as busy or as fast.

A single track road however is very different and is only wide enough for one car. Passing spaces are provided at regualar intervals to allow cars to pass. These roads are usually only found in the more remote parts of Scotland and islands. Again traffic tends to be light and provided you drive sensibly and look ahead for approaching vehicles and pull into a passing space there are no problems. Be prepared to reverse if you have just passed a passing loop.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 02:02 PM

ESW: I <i>think</i> you mis-spoke/mis-typed in your 2nd paragraph . . .

>>A single carriage way or lane doesn't have a central reservation separating the two flows of traffic. Some of these roads, especially the main roads can be very wide and there is plenty of space for cars to pass easily. Single <strike> track </strike> (carriageway) unclassified roads in the country can be narrower and there won't be as much space for cars to pass, but these tend to country roads and not as busy or as fast. <<
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 02:38 PM

The fact the the drive is so gorgeous and requires extra attention is the challenge.

We had a close incident driving west of Perth just getting into the highlands where we first encountered the "oncoming..." sign and did not understand the meaning. We came around a curve and there was an coach blocking the entire width of the opening under RR tracks, a viaduct. I don't know how we stopped in time. I realize this situation only occurs a few seconds per day but we timed it just wrong (but stopped in time).

I think anything less than two full lanes is a single lane plus but that's my opinion.
I think this "Oncoming..." Situation is more severe, at least usually, than a "narrow bridge" situation in the USA where the lanes go thru full width but the shoulder disappears. I am sure that most "Oncoming..." situations mean lane narrowing where a coach is really going to encroach on that oncoming lane.

If nothing else the OP will be ready for this particular traffic sign which I had to photograph and show people and all were puzzled by what it could mean. It certainly is peculiar.
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 08:47 AM
ESW

Thank you Janis, yes it was mymistake.