Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Dordogne-- Should we stay at Hotel L'Esplanade?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hotel L'Esplanade has been recommended on this board a lot. We've heard Domme is very charming! We'll be there in April, so we shouldn't have too much trouble getting in and out of Domme, right?

Would that be your hotel of choice.. or are there other hotels I should look at before making the final decision on L'Esplanade?

Just trying to figure out where to base ourselves during our stay. I know there are many options in Dordogne! What do you think would be the best?
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 10:33 AM

That's a good choice. Ask for a room with a view of the Dordogne.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Stu-- Thanks for the confirmation on L'Esplanade. I guess we really can't go wrong by staying here?

By the way, if St. Cirq is reading this -- Thank you for your recommendations already on this topic. I know this is a bit redundant, but just throwing it out there again for additional responses, now that we sort of have it narrowed down to L'Esplanade. Just curious if there are any "disadvantages" to staying here...
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 11:09 AM

On market day (Thursday) it may be a little tougher to get in & out in the morning. The drive up to Domme is quite steep - but that gives you the great views. The restaurant has gotten a little pricey, but you don't have to dine there if it's too much for you. It's an excellent restaurant. Domme is a little more touristy than Beynac & Roque Gageac, IMO, but in April there won't be a lot of tourist. Beynac & Roque Gageac might be a little closer to the main sites in the Dordogne - but we're only talking about 10-15 mins.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 11:14 AM

If you've already done the narrowing down and settled on the Esplande - go for it! It's a very nice place.
I concur with Stu that Domme is a bit more touristy than some other popular towns, but not so much as to be considered a "disadvantage."