Reload this Page >

Daughter going to Salamanca Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 1997, 06:24 AM
L. Montgomery

This June my daughter is going to do a semester in Salamanca with excursions to Segovia, Avila, La Alberca and Pena de Francia.

They will also spend 3 nights in Barcelona, 1 nt in El Escorial, and 3 nts. in Madrid.

Do you have any advice, information, or "must not miss" for any of these places ?

Any safety warnings?

How should she dress there (she lives in Hawaii now, very casual, mostly shorts there) ?

Thank you for any information you can give concerned Mom !

Old Oct 7th, 1997, 10:04 PM
Julie

Yes, you must watch your purse in all parts of Europe, but at least they don't stab you in the process, as they do here. The dress is a bit more conservative--girls like todress up and parade about in the evening--saw very little shorts, but nice jeans, slacks, etc are good. Salamanca is a beautiful town, very old and stately. El Escorial has some great little restaurants--just walk up into the village and try one--everything you order is extra unles you order a set meal "menu del dia" or offering of the day.

Old Oct 7th, 1997, 10:38 PM
Ronald

She'll have a fine time there. Re the shorts: Spaniards are a fundamentally conservative society although this has and is changing rapidly. Wearing shorts in the streets would probably be seen as poor taste and in restaurants and churches as somewhat of an affront to others present. In the worst case she might be taken for a streetwalker! So, I would suggest she use them exclusively at beaches or in the outdoors only or, better yet, leave them at home. Slacks are widespread. Women cover the head with a lace mantilla in churches if at worship (strolling around bareheaded is alright).

Old Oct 7th, 1997, 10:41 PM
Ronald

Oh, in Barcelona don't miss the Palau de la Musica and Museo Federico Mares.

Old Oct 9th, 1997, 07:27 PM
L. Lee Rogers

I spent a month studying Spanish in Salamanca in July,'95. Your daughter should take skirts and dresses if she wants to live up to the very feminine, more formal styles of the locals. Students from all over the world study there, and the night life is energetic.

I took an unforgettable weekend trip to Oporto, Portugal while there. There is good local sightseeing, with picturesque mountain villages within several hours' drive.

I think it's quite a safe town. The afternoon siesta and sociable evenings make for a crowded plaza even after midnight.

She shouldn't miss the amazing macaroons prepared by cloistered nuns one visits hidden away in a shady courtyard across from the new cathedral.

Old Oct 13th, 1997, 02:21 AM
Paco

I live in Salamanca and I can tell you that this is a very nice city with a lot of medieval monuments,good food and wine and a great night life (here we called "marcha").Don't forget visit:Cathedral, Convento de San Esteban,Mayor square,Convento de las Dueñas(big sweets made here),house of shells and all the churchs worths a visit.For eating the best places are:El Bardo(beside the house of shells,menu less than 10$),La Conveniente( Road to Aldealengua,ask for "Cocido",15-20$),and every bar has menu for less than 10$ pp.Salamanca is a very safe city so have a very nice time.

Old Oct 16th, 1997, 09:11 PM
L. Montgomery

Tahnk you to those who have written with advice as to what to see, what to wear, where to go, etc.

My daughter is even more excited about her trip than she was when we said she could go!!

Old Oct 22nd, 1997, 01:11 PM
Shawnna Schultz

hi--i'm going on the trip with your daughter, caroline...i'm in her spanish class--i'm so excited!!!!!

Old Oct 22nd, 1997, 05:28 PM
L. Montgomery

Shawnna,

I am delighted you will be going on this wonderful trip.
I hope others will have more information for you all on what to do, where to go, and what to see. I think so far you have gotten some very good advise.

Go everywhere, see everything and enjoy it all!!