Reload this Page >

France in only 10 days

Search

France in only 10 days

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:05 AM
J

France in only 10 days

My husband and I are traveling to France for 10 days in April. We'd like to spend two or three days in Paris, then rent a car & start driving south to Provence, spending a night here and a night there along the way. Can anyone recommend a suitable route? We know it's not much time, so we'd like to make the most of it. Thanks for sharing.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:34 AM
Gretchen

To make the best use of your time and to do some justice to the two parts of the trip I might suggest that you take the TGV from the airport directly to Provence when you arrive at CDG. Rent your car in Avignon, drive around Provence for 5 days, take the TGV back to Paris for 5 days. You will have to depart from Paris anyway (I would guess). The drive from Paris to Provence is not nearly as interesting as Provence. I also think 2-3 days in Paris will just not be enough. This also lets you maximize your long travel times.<BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:57 AM
Rex

I have to disagree with Gretchen on this point - - I think this is simply an honest difference in viewpoint - - but I do not agree with "travel around first, see Paris last". I think that many travelers will do better to settle into France first withOUT a car (i.e., in Paris, where I would not recommend having a car) - - and then take to the road when you are feeling more comfortable reading signs etc.<BR><BR>Why stress yourself to adapting to simply being in France - - and to driving in a foreign country - - both at the beginning of your trip?<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:15 AM
J

thanks for both replies. we are definitely beginning the trip in paris. train to provence sounds prudent, but i hate to think of all the lovely spots we're missing in between... any advice???

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:47 AM
beth

The advice is to go again!! That's the beauty of not "seeing it all" the first time....

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:26 AM
richard

Gretchen: Don't know Provence, unfortunately might be cool in April however - but crowds will be smaller - one point to consider about arriving in Paris - many flights get in very early and you may have a long wait before your hotel allows you in - sometime jet lag makes your first day a drag anyway - sometimes it's better just to keep traveling - via TGV you can relax get over jet lag see the country and get into Provence in early afternoon enjoy sights for a day or two. Read the tour books see if their is something you really want to see - driving is easy - however don't drive in Paris if you can avoid it - no parking and difficult if not used to it. Paris is wonderful but cool in April. You may have to spend a day in Paris befor eyu leave anyway depending on departure time of plane.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:38 AM
Lexma90

I would also suggest taking the TGV to Provence. Without having a map in hand, and at the risk of rising the ire of all those folks who love the countryside in between Paris & Provence, I don't know that you're missing out on that much that's directly on the way south (Some parts of France have to be the less beautiful or less interesting parts). yes, you could detour a bit east and visit Burgundy, or go a bit west and visit the Loire Valley, but 10 days is a sufficiently short time that you could easily spend all those 10 days in Paris & Provence alone and still not see all that you want to see.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 12:03 PM
Ron

The first thing to consider is if you can fly into Paris and fly out of Nice, which is what we often do, spending our last night in Saint Paul-de-Vence. <BR><BR>It is better to go to Paris first and to stay longer. And keep in mind that the first day there will pretty much be wasted.<BR><BR>Also, by taking the TGV as suggested you are not "missing anything"---except long drives! The TGV allows you more quality time at the other end. You will find a lot to enjoy wherever you go, so make the most of your trip to reduce transportation time.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:07 PM
Rex

I'll take a stab at defending the drive (but maybe only one direction - - take the train the other direction - - or Ron's idea of flying home from the south of France is good too).<BR><BR>On the trip to Lyon (which really will take50-100% longer by car than by train) - - two places to stop, based on my experience, are Nitry (to eat) and Chateau de Longsard, to spend the night. Search this forum, you will find my comments about both from previous postings.<BR><BR>Of course, time in Dijon and/or Beaune works along the way, also. Regrettably I can not speak from personal experience about either one.<BR>