Itinerary, Food and special attactions for Paris trip with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We, family of 2 adults and 3 kids (11, 7 & 7 age), will be travelling to Paris from March 31st to April 4th. We have our apartment booked on Rue Saint Dominique in Paris 7. We will be arriving paris from London in the morning at around 11am through Eurostar and leaving Paris to go to Amsterdam on April 4th morning by Thalys.

Now I have to plan the itinerary, food etc. Very few days left before we leave for London on March 26th. So need your help to plan this out.

Thinking of buying the museum pass for 4 days. As I understand it is good to buy the pass at the Eurostar station. Is that correct? I am thinking we would visit Eiffel Tower, Louvre, St Chappel, Notre Dame, Arch De Triomphe, Rodin Museum, D'Orsay, Doll Museum, Museum of Magic, Pompidieu Center and Versailles. I know I may not be able to fit everything in the itinerary. However is the museum pass a worth buy for the adults?

We are planning to visit some gardens and do a boat ride on Seine. May take the Botabus for a few rides. Do you guys think I can fit all this into the days?

For Louve, I would like to spend 3-4 hours max. What are the best exhibit to visit. Since we would be in London and plan to visit British Museum, do you still think the Egypt exihit at Louvre can be skipped? Between Rodin and D'Orsay which will be more interesting for kids? How much time each of the places we want to see require? What are the best food choices in Paris?

I am just putting my rendom thoughts here so that with the feedback I receive I can plan a realistic itinerary enjoyable for both the adults and kids!

Thanks,
RP
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 11:09 AM

<<Do you guys think I can fit all this into the days?>>

Not a chance. 11 major venues in essentially 3 full days with 2 7-year-olds and an 11-year-old? Plus boat rides and gardens and (presumably) some time to eat and just wander? No, that is an itinerary on crack. Four hours in the Louvre with kids? Well, when my kids were of similar ages, we did spend four hours in the Mémorial in Caen, but that's an interactive place with lots of interesting kid stuff, which the Louvre is not. Both my kids loved the Musée d'Orsay, but never for four hours.

Unless your kids are major museum/art enthusiasts, you should pick maybe two museums at most for that period. Obviously the Tour Eiffel is a major draw; the Batobus is a good idea, but it's transportation, not a tour, so you can use it to plan your daily itinerary one day. The Arc de Triomphe could be discarded, though climbing to the top and watching the cars whiz around the circle is fun. I can't imagine most kids would enjoy the Rodin Museum all that much - probably would like the Musée de l'Armée, though. Same for the Centre Pompidou, unless they love modern art - they'll get a kick out of the street performers and artists on the Place Beaubourg, though.

You need to think more along the lines of Berthillon, the Luxembourg Gardens, the Boise de Boulogne, Deyrolles, Fat Bike Tours....

Food choices? Whatever you want, you can find in Paris. For simple, inexpensisve food, pizzas, crèpes, sandwiches, salads, soups. There are chains like Hippopotamus and Flunch that cater to kids without very adventurous palates, and of course there is every kind of ethnic food available also. In addition to, of course, wonderful French food.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 01:01 PM

You need to be prepared with indoor activities in cold or rainy weather that are not art museums. Hot chocolate venues instead of ice cream (my favorite is right at the tip of St Louis Ile, behind Notre Dame, le Flore en Ile -- and if it is warm, you can get ice cream there as well) .

I think going up to the top of the Eiffel Tower can be windy and cold. They might more enjoy the carousel.

I would be looking at the kid-friendly interiors of the Jardin des Plantes (reachable by Batobus) for its museum of evolution. I'm not much for military exhibits or dead stuffed animals for kids. Even I don't like Rodin and it might be too cold to enjoy the gardens.

Centre George Pomidou has fun escalators, plus the aforementioned street performers outside. Children sometimes like modern art more than adults do. An hour there would be the max I'd expect kids to tolerate.

Kids often like using the Metro a whole lot. And the funicular ride in Montmartre up to Sacre Couer.

And of course the gargoyles on Notre Dame.

Weather permitting, a walk down the Champs-Elysees at night can be fun.

I think Versailles would be a slog and not all that much fun.

I would take your kids to the markets and epiceries and bakeries and let them pick out what they'd like to try.

This link might add to your ideas.

http://www.rendezvousfrance.com/kidsparis.html
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 02:11 PM

The very top of the Eiffel Tower is fully enclosed, and therefore neither windy nor cold.

If the weather is good, you would be better off at the Rodin museum (which is mostly outside) than the Musee d'Orsay.

The best art museum in Paris (I think) is the Pompidou, which has a ground floor gallery especially devoted to children (Les Enfants
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 02:15 PM

Oops -- didn't finish there! I meant to say Gallerie des Enfants that includes hands-on workshops for children between 6 and 12 years old. They are allowed to touch and interact with art and the elements. They even have audio guides specifically devoted to children in this age group.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 02:19 PM

The science museum in La Villette could be of interest. Some of the sections are age-group specific and it is a hands-on museum.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 06:08 PM

Agree about the Musee de Science, but when we were there all the signage was only in French and our kids weren't old enough to understand much of it. Not a big deal - we translated - but it slowed us down. Maybe that's not true anymore.

I think the Musee d' Orsay is always a bigger hit with kids than the Musee Rodin, no matter what the weather, though we enjoyed having quick lunches several times with the kids on the grounds of the Musee Rodin.

Didn't know that about the Gallerie des Enfants at the Pompidou - must have missed it when I was there last year.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Here is a rough itinerary I am thinking:

Wednesday:

Arrive Nord at 11 and head to apt on Rue Saint Dominique by Taxi
Lunch;
Arc De Triomphé,
Champ Élysées,
Early Dinner
Louvre
Snacks etc.
Eiffel tower

Thursday:

Notre Dame
St. Chappell
Lunch
Luxembourg Garden
Dinner
Seine River Cruise

Friday:

Rodin Museum
Tuileries Garden
Lunch
Doll Museum
Pompediue Center
Dinner in Latin Quarter

Saturday:

Versailles
Something else in the evening/May be D'Orsay ???

Please let me know where I am thinking wrong. Ice cream, gelatos, pastries, crepes have to fill in between all the site seeings. Please let me know the Bethillon, Amorino close to the tourist places. My kids are very adventurous eater. They would not worry about McD or Pizza in Paris. Can eat anything new/exotic etc. So, please suggest good unique inexpensive places.

Thanks,
RP
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 08:09 PM

We travelled with our kids (11 and 9) to Paris. We thought the Champs Elysees vastly overrated, although the kids each bought a football at the Adidas store which they liked. If you go to museums such as Musee d'Orsay or Louvre, I recommend selecting one small area. For us that was the Impressionists at Musee d'Orsay but that was my choice rather than the kids and they were bored. I would suggest taking the boat ride to the Eiffel Tower on the Thursday instead as I reckon you'll be tired. Best to play that by ear when you're there. Climbing up is much more fun than the lift. If you go to Notre Dame, the best bit for kids is to climb the tower. We visited Musee Rodin but let the kids play in the garden while we looked at the exhibits. The Tuileries Garden is limited fun because you're not allowed on the grass - severely limiting for kids who want to run, jump and kick a ball. Although we ran out of time and didn't try this ourselves, I would consider hiring bikes if you go to Versailles. There are acres to ride around in. I wouldn't add another museum on your last day. Perhaps just a walk and end up at a cafe for hot chocolates?

btw many museums are free for kids. We bought the museum pass at the first place we stopped which accepted the passes.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

I am thinking of the approximate time I would need to spend in each of this site. Here is is my guess. Let me know if I am wrong.

Arc De Triomphé - 2hours
Champ Élysées - 1 hour (only walking the street, no shopping)
Louvre - 3 hours
Eiffel tower - 2 hours

Notre Dame - 2 hours
St. Chappell - 2 hours
Luxembourg Garden - 3 hours
Seine River Cruise - 2 hours

Rodin Museum - 2 hour
Tuileries Garden - 2 hour
Doll Museum - 2 hours
Pompediue Center - 2 hours
Walk around Latin Quarter - 1 or 2 hours

Versailles - All morning until late afternoon
D'Orsay - 2 hours

Thanks,
RP
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 07:13 AM

junk4rp,

I don't think people are going to want to keep typing the same thing over and over again.

When you get there, your kids will either be happy with hours and hours in art museums and historic sites and waiting on lines or they won't be.

I suggest you pack crayons and books for the kids, and other things to do and keep them amused. Disposable cameras are often fun. I would also please ask you this favor even though I am not going to be in Paris when you are: If your kids start to cry and act up and beg to leave art museums, would you please take them out as quickly as possible for the sake of other people who have worked so hard to get there?

To clarify about the Champs Elysees: I think it's only fun at night.

To clarify about the Eiffel Tower and reaching the very top:

If you go on a crowded day, you have to wait a long time on line after you get off the first elevator, because fewer elevators ascend from the middle to the top. If the lines at the ground-level ticket windows appear to moving fast, it's an illusion about how quickly you will get to the top. There is no protection against wind and cold as you inch around the second floor landing for an hour, waiting for your turn to get up the elevator. Very cramped with nothing to do. It's just a line. And, finally, the view from the top of the Eiffel Tower is not as interesting as it is from the first landing, where it is easier to see landmarks. and I think not at all interesting your first day in Paris. It's more interesting your last day in Paris, so you can see the places you've been.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 07:28 AM

Arc De Triomphé - 2hours - 20 MINUTES
Champ Élysées - 1 hour (only walking the street, no shopping) - BIG BORE, ESPECIALLY FOR THE KIDS
Louvre - 3 hours YOUR KIDS WON'T LAST 3 HOURS
Eiffel tower - 2 hours - DEPENDING ON WHAT TIME YOU GET THERE, COULD BE MORE. DISAGREE THAT THE TOP IS LESS INTERESTING. THAT'S WHERE YOUR KIDS WILL WANT TO BE, AND SHOULD BE.

Notre Dame - 2 hours - 1 HOUR
St. ChappellE - 2 hours - 1 HOUR
Luxembourg Garden - 3 hours - 2 AT MOST
Seine River Cruise - 2 hours

Rodin Museum - 2 hour - IT'S SMALL - 1 HOUR
Tuileries Garden - 2 hour
Doll Museum - 2 hours - NO IDEA
Pompediue Center - (POMPIDOU) 2 hours - INCLUDING PLACE BEAUBOURG, YES
Walk around Latin Quarter - 1 or 2 hours MAYBE MORE

Versailles - All morning until late afternoon - I WOULDN'T DO VERSAILLES ON SUCH A SHORT TRIP
D'Orsay - 2 hours
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Friday (6 hours in museums) and Saturday don't sound fun. Too museum heavy.
I'd skip Versailles as you're in Paris for such a short time and definitely go to D'Orsay. My kids enjoyed the cafe there too.

Champs Elysees is not that fun street to walk on with kids unless you're going to McDonalds!
On your arrival day I suggest shopping for groceries in a Monoprix and getting an overview of Paris from the top of the Tour Eiffel or the Tour Montparnasse. We have always walked up the Tour Eiffel and eschewed the elevators but not with kids as young as 7. Let the kids ask for baguettes or chose some French cheese/ biscuits/ pastries/ crepes.

Thursday sounds like a good day. Climb up Notre Dame to see the gargoyles and the bell. Walk along the Seine.
The kids will probably love the playground in the Luxembourg gardens.

My kids have always enjoyed going to the top of whatever for the view so they enjoyed Sacre Coeur in Montmartre, the Montparnasse tower where below you can see Paris laid out like a map and even the escalators at the Centre Pompidou!
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 07:53 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with St.Cirq's times. (I was typing while she was posting).
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 07:56 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Our grandkids asked for crepes every day, both savory and sweet. They ate them while walking or we brought them back to our apt for their dinners. They also loved the baguette sndwiches on display in the windows and liked them for dinner as well. They were too toried to go ut at night after full days of sight seeing nd walking.
Also, rent a toy sailboat at Lumembourg Gardens for them to sail.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

First of all, let me thank each of you who has provided valuable feedback on my plan. This is helping me to think the it through. I will try to respond to each of you so that I can respond to your suggestions and ask question if I have any.

@StCirq: I have put the timing to see if they would fit in. If things do not fit in then they would be out of the itinerary. My kids are not major museum fan, but they are not averse to the idea either. However all of them love art, they all like to draw, paint and read. Colors and texture excite them. They all have wanted to see Mona Lisa other than of course Eiffel tower.

My 11th grader has done Egypt, Greece and Roman history units in his world studies class and I am thinking he would like things related to that those. So, all in all I am thinking they might enjoy Louvre. But of course I cannot say that they would last 2/3 hours.

About Rodin Museum, if it not god weather we may not go. But, I feel that they will get a kick out of imitating the sculptures and might like it. We can always get out of it if we see they do not enjoy it. I feel that they would like to climb to the top of the Arc De Triumph and see the cars from top. My kids are very playful and they like climbing.

I will show them Army museum site and see they are interested. I have a feeling that without the historical background, they might not enjoy it. Only my eldest kid knows about Napoleon. I will have to rethink the plan about Pompidou, even though the Doll museum is close to it and we can still see the performers at Place Beaubourg. I am checking the Berthillon locations. I saw one in google map in arre. 4. I am sure we will find many. What about Amorino? I will see if I can fit in Deyrolles. I am not sure about Fat Bike Tour because I do not know whether my two 7 years old can bike at the same pace with everyone else or not. I checked Boise de Boulogne and it seemed a little out of the way.

About Versailles, my eldest son wants to see it and I know my kids enjoy palaces, so, they would love it. And my husband and I like palaces too. Now, my question is would it be doable in half a day?

@zeppole: Will plan some indoor alternatives if weather is cold and windy. Like I said earlier, my kids like art… they also like ice cream and hot chocolate. But I can do both, right? And, be sure I would not let my kids get museumed out and cry in the museum.

Oh, I am not sure I can convince them to not go to the top of Eiffel tower. That is the first thing they wanted to do when we planned for Paris! I looked up Jardin des Plantes and it seems interesting. Let us see if I can work it in.

Notre Dame gargoyles is definitely in plan. I was planning to see Champs-Elysees during the day, but may shift it around.

What are the good markets and epiceries and bakeries for the kids?

I will take papers, pens, crayons etc for them to use indoor if they get bored. But I have a feeling they would not find these places boring. They have never been to these places and they are curious. How can they get bored in 2/3 hours? Of course waiting in line is no fun. So, they might need books etc to keep themselves busy. That is one reason why I am considering buying the museum pass so that I can skip the lines when I can.

@HuisClos: We will definitely have to go the top of Eiffel tower. So, if it is not cold and windy that is great! Rodin is still in. Pompidou may be out. I am planning to take the kids to science museum in London right before going to Paris. Except for my eldest we are not very comfortable with French. So, will skip that.

@dreamon: We are only going to take a short walk on Champs-Elysees to see how it is before heading to Arc De Triumph. So, plan for any shopping. So, that should be ok, right? Yes, I am gathering information (and reading various guide books) to understand which are the highlights of the museum. I am by no means planning to see everything in a museum. I did not understand what you meant by “I would suggest taking the boat ride to the Eiffel Tower on the Thursday instead”. You are right; we can never plan enough with the kids and have to play by the ear when we are there. Can we climb the steps to the second landing and then take the lift to top of Eiffel Tower? I would try to rent bikes when we go to Versailles. The museum plan on the last day is optional. It is place holder for anything left out or for just to hang out around some area etc.

@sassy_cat: On Friday Rodin is probably not going to be 2 hours as StCirq says. I do not consider Rodin to be a museum per se since it is mostly outside and there is garden. The Doll Museum is fun for kids. I am planning that for my little girl. If they get bored, we get out. Pompidou might be replaced with Deyrolles or Jardin des Plantes depending on the location planning. So that should be ok right?

For Saturday, why it does not sound fun? I am guessing kids would love the palace, the garden and fountain etc. Is there anything I am missing? The late afternoon to evening plan is still a little fluid at this time.

Is there a Monoprix close to Rue St. Dominique? Will try that on the first day. My kids are like yours, if they have anything to climb they would, sometime they figure out things to climb that are not meant to be  Not planning to go to Sacre Coeur or Montparnasse tower. I hope I am not going to miss big.

@Happytrvlr: I think my kids too will like crepes. I will remember to rent a sailboat at Luxemberg garden.

Thank you all again. I know with your help this will be a great trip.

RP
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 12:26 PM

Don't get me wrong. If your kids beg to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower, take them to the top. More than once! Your most recent post is reassuring that if the kids instead beg to go back to the hotel, you'll be listening to that too.

If you are having fun doing anything, your kids may find that enough, just to be having fun doing anything in Paris-- and it wouldn't be the first time kids went into museums and didn't want to leave. But I used to live in Paris, I return often, mainly to visit the Louvre and some other art museums, and I long ago realized that after an hour or two in ANY museum, I'm ready for the nearest park or cafe.

You may be underestimating the pure pleasure of Parisian parks, which are among the city's greatest artworks, and the pleasure of some of its streets and markets. And sometimes kids just melt down. (I've seen adults melt down in Paris.)

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 02:43 PM

Hi Junk,

I don't think Versailles is a fun day trip from Paris with kids because it's very often busy and you'd spend a long time waiting in lines to get into the various rooms and then snaking through them with the crowds. It is not a place to run around obviously and when I last did the tour you couldn't just take a break (and rejoin later) and run around the gardens to let off steam.
You're going at the weekend so expect it to be busier but at least the fountains will be working!
Did you check the website? Lots of info about prices, tours etc..

http://en.chateauversailles.fr/discover-estate

Maybe the doll museum would be fun for your daughter but if your sons are anything like my boy then I doubt that they would be even remotely interested. Have you checked the website? It might help you to decide if it's worth a visit or perhaps you could split up for an hour and just take your daughter.

http://www.museedelapoupeeparis.com/...en/infoen.html
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

@zeppole: I am not taking anything in wrong spirit. Since you are taking time to provide me the input, I am pretty sure you are trying to help. Even though I am trying to plan everything out so that we have an idea what to do next, everything there will depend on mood, weather etc. And it is nice to know that in Paris if we have to get out of the museum, there is park or market waiting right outside. I am not understanding the beauty of park and garden. I love them. I am trying to fit park, museum, palace etc. to make it a varied experience for everyone.

@sassy_cat: I checked the website. It says the fountains would work on that Friday too. So, I am thing whether it would be better to switch the Versailles visit to Friday to avoid a bit of crowd. I will show my boys the doll museum info and see what they think.

Thanks,
RP
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 04:48 AM

junk4rp,

Versailles will be busy on Friday too as thousands visit every day. If you really think it's something you must see then it's better to go when the fountains are on. The fountains are the real draw of the gardens and might appeal to your children more than the chateau tour.

I'd skip Versailles and spend the extra day in Paris. You don't have to decide right now. I recommend you play it by ear on vacation and decide the day before based on the weather, your level of energy and the childrens' needs/ desires.

It'll be your last day in Paris and I can think of a hundred things I'd rather do then visit Versailles with 3 children but if it's still something you want to do at least you'll see the fountains!

There are Monoprix all over Paris. Google Monoprix Paris Locations for maps and locations. There's even one on les Champs Elysees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -