Cilento in May--too silent-o?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In considering a flight to Naples, late May, with 9 nights to play with, I've come across Cilento national park. Can anyone advise me what the towns of SM de Castellabate and Acciaroli would be like at that time of year? I obviously want a contrast with Amalfi, but I also know from experience that a place can be too quiet. DH knows this also, as I've dragged him to some ends of the earth type places. We want shoulder season, not off season with hotels and restaurants yet to open. We would be interested in hiking, Paestum, and possibly hiring a guide/driver for some kind of excursion into the interior. We're not fans of driving, but it looks like we could do what we want easily enough.
Thanks for any insights. If the trip works out, I'll be back for help with itinerary and other logistics.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

I meant to inquire about Pisciotta as well.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 08:56 PM

Pisciotta is gorgeous. A medieval town on the cliff with a special hotel (Marulivo.) You can click on my name to read my recent trip report. The main road through the interior is a very wide and easy divided highway. We rented a car in Salerno and once we figured out where the highway was, driving was a snap. We were there in late September and already there were very few tourists but we had the sense that there are always very few tourists. It's a real town with people working and kids going to school so it's not an empty tourist town. I wouldn't hesitate to go in May and I'd stay in Pisciotta several days.

But I would rent a car and stay awhile. That way you can really relax and hike and explore the cool and completely untouristed towns in the interior or hang out at the beach. Really, the roads were easy, even off the main highway. In addition to Pisciotta, we liked the area to the south too.

We thought there were way too many tourists in Amalfi and Positano in early October. People literally bumping into you as if there wasn't enough space for everyone to fit! But the hiking on the trails was splendid.
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, rose. I'll be back when we figure it out. I am heartened to hear the hiking trails in Amalfi were not too crowded. I'm hoping staying in Atrani or another smaller place will help us escape crowds for that portion of the trip. I am the type of person who cannot tolerate crowds, but it can be tough to find the happy medium.
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 06:05 AM

yorkshire- on Amalfi we stayed on a small farm partway up the hill to the Pathway of the Gods, above Arienzo. It's Rifugio degli Dei. The family has turned the old family farmhouse into 3 nice apartments and it's far from the madding crowds plus, the farm was interesting. We don't like crowds & didn't like Positano but would go back to Rifugio again.
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Topping to try to grab the attention of the few other TTers who have visited the area. ekscrunchy, I am continuing to follow you around the world!
Marulivo looks perfect. If we do rent a car, it would only be for getting place to place, so hotels walkable to towns with restaurants are ideal. btw, rose, I loved your trip report--I can imagine sitting on the terrace drinking the wine already.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Topping again, does anyone know anything about Sassano? It seems there is an abundance of orchids there, and a festival in May, but I can't find out the dates of the festival, even on the website of the commune. We'd have to get over our aversion to driving to get there of course, but I am a major plant geek and European orchids are impressive.