Reload this Page >

Italian itinerary almost there

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Jim

Thanks for all the help on the list. We've almost finalized our itinerary (2nights Bologna, 3 nights Florence, ending up with 3 nights in Bellagio. However, between Florence and Bellagio, we're now scheduled to spend 5 nights in Pienza, and one night in Sestri Levante en route to Como (we pick up a car in Florence and drop it off after Como at MXP). <BR><BR>But a post that indicated that the drive from Pienza to Como can be done in less than 5 hours has us thinking that we'll drop the night en route, shorten Pienza to 4 nights, and spend 2 nights closer to some of the Umbrian towns we'd like to vist.<BR><BR>We're hoping to spend a few hours each in Siena, Montalcino, Cetona, Todi, Arezzo, and Assissi. This can be done with 5 nights, but 6 may be more relaxing even if it means a long jaunt to Como.<BR><BR>Thoughts?

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Rex

I could be mistaken, but I think that "spend a few hours" in Siena - - coming there by car - - is an exercise in looking for parking, looking for parking, looking for parking, looking for parking, hiking from where you parked, making a lap around, going back to the car.<BR><BR>There ARE some interesting destinations in Italy where you can "spend a few hours" - - Pisa, for example - - you can park predictably in a big pay lot, three minutes from the Campo dei Miracoli. And it all fits in a football field.<BR><BR>But I don't think Siena is like that.<BR><BR>Assisi is sorta compatible with this goal. Sorta not.<BR><BR>And I don't know Montalcino, Cetona, Todi, Arezzo.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 06:04 PM
jim

Thanks Rex,<BR><BR>Been there, done that.<BR><BR>I just exagerated the time in response to some posts that insist that Siena is a minium 2 or 3 day visit. We plan to spend most of the day there. Our general plan is to visit one or two places per day, and be prepared to cross something off if we're enjoying ourselves in the prior town.<BR><BR>Also, we learned the last time we were in Tuscany that many of these towns are well worth staying for dinner, when the tour busses and other throngs pour out.<BR><BR>to be more pithy, I guess the thrust of my question is:<BR><BR>1. Is the drive from Pienza to Bellagio likely to take more than 5 hours?<BR><BR>2. 6 nights in Tuscany/Umbria and a long drive to Como or 5 nights and a stop between the two?<BR><BR>3. If yes to 6 nights, should we break it up so as to be closer to Assissi and Spoleto than we'd be in Pienza?<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:32 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 12:05 PM
xxx

1. You should be able to drive from Pienza to Bellagio in 5 hours nonstop. It would take a little longer out from Assisi. But the fast route doesn't consider the Riviera ... you'd have to take Bologna - Parma - Milano - Lecco route. <BR><BR>2. I´d choose the longer drive.<BR><BR>3. I´d break it up ...<BR><BR>A more "natural" itinerary (which would chop off 1 hour driving time in the final leg) would be:<BR><BR>Bologna (I´m assuming you have to start there) - Assisi - Pienza - Firenze

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 12:31 PM
jim

Thanks! <BR><BR>Yes we do have to start in Bologna and end in Como for various reasons.<BR><BR>We considered your suggested itinerary, but decided against it because we wanted a car in Como and didn't want to have to deal with it for 3 days in Florence, when we wouldn't be using it.<BR><BR>I think we'll probably opt for Riviera for a night, to see if we want to return for longer on our next trip.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:20 PM
xxx

Yes, Jim, I must be sleeping It would be really stupid to keep a car in Florence to gain nothing but an hour drive! <BR><BR>From Pienza, your longest jaunt would be to Todi (eventually visiting Cetona enroute). This would add up to 3:30 hours driving. One day for Siena and another one for Assisi (+ eventually another city close bye, like Spello), will leave you with a single day to visit both Montalcino and Arezzo. Though one would be driving back and forth, it's "doable" (2:30 hours driving roundtrip). On day 6, 3 hours would get you to Sestri Levante.