Germany Itinerary Help

Search

Germany Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2012, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany Itinerary Help

We are planning a trip to Germany for next September and need some suggestions.

We went this past September and loved it. Thanks to the many Fodorites who helped us plan this past year's itinerary. We visited the Rhine & Mosel Valley area, then Heidelberg, Bad Wimphen, Rothenberg, Bamberg, Wurzburg, Nuremberg. We did not make it to Munich so are looking to get there this year and as always, appreciate input.

We have 18-20 days available and are trying to decide if we should combine Alsace region of France or stick with Bavaria and Austria. (We also love France and Alsace is one region we have not been) I'd like to get to Munich & Salzburg for sure. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Do either of these itinearies sound good, what would you prefer and modify?

Itinerary #1:
Day 1: Fly to Stuttgart and drive to Baden Baden (overnight)
Day 2-3: Strasbourg
Day 4-5: Colmar
Day 6-7: Konstanz or Meersburg
Day 8-9: Fussen
Day 10-15: Munich (with day trips)
Day 16-19: Salzburg

Itinerary #2:
Day 1-5: Munich and day trips within 1 hr
Day 6-7: Fussen
Day 8-9: Mittenwald
Day 10-12: Salzburg
Day 13-14: Hallstatt
Day 15: Melk
Day 16-19: Vienna
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 09:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd stay south and include lake constance (Konstanz) in the trip so itin 1.
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 10:50 AM

We lived in Stuttgart for a few years and traveled to many of the places in both itineraries. Personally, I find the Alsace region neither interesting nor scenic, especially compared to Hallstatt, Melk and Vienna. In fact, I think Hallstatt is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen with its lake, mountains, forest--what a combo!
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Longhorn55 - thanks for your suggestions. I've read other reviews that also think Hallstatt is one of the most beautiful places. Do you think I've allocated the correct amount of time in my stops on itinerary #2?
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 12:16 PM

If you do #1, I'd recommend staying in Colmar and doing Strasbourg as a day trip.
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 01:24 PM

I'd vote for #2. Fewer long drives and more time in each place. My first trip to Europe was as a student and I spent several weeks studying in Salzburg. Loved it! Saw a bit of Vienna and wanted more. Loved Hallstatt. Saw some of Munich and later came back to Munich and explored parts of Bavaria all of which I enjoyed.
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 01:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

After visitng Fuessen (twice), Mittenwald (3 times), Salzburg (4 times) and Hallstatt once, I like #2. Shocking!

I'd drop a night from Munich and add it to Salzburg. Not that Salzburg itself needs the extra time, but the nearby (less than 30 min away) Berchtesgaden area could use at least a day. Me, I'd drop 2 Munich nights (leaving a total of 3) OR drop a Vienna night and add another to Mittenwald. While Mittenwald itself also doesn't need 3 days, you could easily visit Garmisch (and the Zugspitze trip), Seefeld, Ettal, Linderhof Palace, Oberammergau and even Innsbruck, as they are all pretty close by. We've spent a total of 7 nights in Mittenwald so far. Still love it. We've spent 14 nights in the Berchtesgaden area and are planning to go back next year.

Never been to Vienna or Melk, so I can't comment.

If interested, we have photo's (on 3 pages) of all these at:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

Paul
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Irishface & pja1,

Thank you for your advice. Looks like we're getting more votes for #1. We're going to rework it, take into consideration pja1'a ideas and we'll put the revised one back up for comments.
Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 04:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"I find the Alsace region neither interesting nor scenic" cor, ah well we all see different things in different places. I've visited the area 5 times over the last few years. I think the top of the Vosges (the mountain range to the West) is a great place for a hike, you follow the cross country ski runs with a final position on the Ballon d'alsace, a large meadow with fine views towards Mnt Blanc.

The towns of Alsace are mainly painted in pastels and while northern Alsace (Bas) are a little plain, they get more pretty as you head south (Haut). I've bicycled through a fair number of the towns and wine tasted along the best sections of the wine route (south of Colmar) 4 times. I cannot think of a better area to hang out in the september sunshine.
Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 08:27 AM

If cost is an issue you might want to start in Munich and end in Munich after going to Austria. The round trip does not need to be repetitive as you could go from Munich to Füssen to Innsbruck and then stay close to the Alps as you visit Salzburg and Halstatt and on to Vienna and return to Munich via the Danube valley (Melk, the Wachau valley, Mauthausen, Wilhering, etc.). This would avoid the cross-border drop-off fee on the car rental.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7622926792957/
Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Bilboburgler:
Thanks for your advice. Definitely gives us something to think about.

Michael: Thanks for suggesting an alternative to avoid the cross border fee. We were just talking about that. I'll need to check on how much that fee is.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

I've done a bit more research and have re-worked our itinerary as follows: Does this sound reasonable:

3 nights Munich (side trip to Dachau)
1 night Fussen (see castles in AM next day)
3 nights Mittenwald (side trips Oberammergau, Garmisch, Zugsptize, Linderhof Palace, Ettal, Wieskirche)
3 nights Salzburg
2 nights Hallstatt (side trips to Bad Ischl, Gosau am Dachstein, Bad Aussee)
2 nights Cesky Krumlov
3 nights Vienna (stop at Durnstein on way to Vienna from CK)
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 01:47 PM

Hi winnick,

You did consider the drop off fees renting a car in Germany and returning in Austria?

You can plan your drive from Munich to Fuessen to stop at the Wieskirche on the way. You may also include a stop at Andechs Monestary near the Ammersee on this drive also. Both are on the way from Munich to Fuessen.

About a mile or so from Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castle's, the Tegelberg Sommerrodelbahn (luge ride) is a lot of fun. 3 Euro per ride (adult) or 13 Euro for 6 rides. I think the 6 ride tickets can be shared... meaning splitting them up for say 3 rides per adult. There's also an ok cable car trip here, but if you plan on going to the top of the Zugspitze, I probably wouldn't bother.

You can also plan your drive from Fuessen to Mittenwald to include passin/stopping at either Linderhof Palace via Plansee OR if the weathers good, the trip to the top of the Zugspitze via Reutte and Ehrwald, Austria, where the cable car to the top is located. Since the Zugspitze is on the border of Germany and Austria, you can get to the top from either Garmisch, Germany or Ehrwald, Austria. We took the trip from Ehrwald. A bit quicker and cheaper (36.50) from here than from Garmisch (49.50).

http://www.zugspitze.at/zugspitzbahn...er_sommer.html

www.zugspitze.de/en/summer/preise/

My opinion is going up from Ehrwald, Austria only makes sense as part of the drive from Fuessen to Mittenwald. Garmisch is 20 min. from Mittenwald, Ehrwald about an hour.

The time allowed for Salzburg and Hallstatt looks fine. As I wrote earlier, we've spent 14 nights in the Berchtesgaden area, which included 5 visits to Salzburg. We visited Hallstatt for the better part of a day and that was enough for us. I think we're in the minority on this though.

Paul
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Paul,

Thanks again for the tips on where to stop going to Fussen and Mittenwald. I'm re-thinking about Cesky Krumlov now and may adjust to stay more time in Mittenwald and Salzburg and returning to Munich from there or else cutting out CK, and stopping in Durnstein on the way to Vienna.

We are aware there is a drop off fee, but it's not that bad.

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 02:30 PM

Hi again,

I didn't comment on CK, Vienna, etc. as we've never been.

I mentioned the stops on the drives as they are on the way and don't need to be "day trips" from either Fuessen or Mittenwald. We did the Zugspitze trip (from Ehrwald) on our drive from Hall in Tirol (Innsbruck area) to Fuessen. We've stopped twice at Andechs on our two drives from Fuessen to Munich.

Merry Christmas to you also!
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 02:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Don't drop Melk! It's gorgeous!

And, you can see Weiskirche and Oberammergau in the afternoon on your way from Fuessen to Mittenwald.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Joannyc,
We planned to stop in Melk on our way to Vienna. Thanks for another vote for Melk,
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

We've re-worked our itinerary dropping Cesky krumlov on this trip. What do you think of this option: Would you stay in Melk or Durnstein?

Day 1- Leave US
Day 2-4 Munich
Day 5 Pick up car and drive to Fussen (stop at Wieskirche)
Day 6 N&H castles in am; drive to Linderhof Palace on way to Mittenwald
Day 7-9 Mittenwald (day trips to Oberammergau & Ettal Monastery, Garmisch, Zugspitze, Innsbruck & Hall)
Day 10-12 Salzburg (day trip to Berchtesgaden)
Day 13 Drive to Bad Ischl and overnight in Hallstatt
Day 14 Hallstatt to Melk (see Abbey) and then overnight in
Durnstein
Day 15 Drive to Vienna and drop car.
Day 16-18 Vienna
Day 19 Fly from Vienna to LHR
Day 20 LHR to US
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 08:20 AM

Can't you get a direct flight from Vienna rather than staying overnight near Heathrow?
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Michael, we are using BA miles and need to go through London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -