Search

Poll: Married women traveling solo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poll: Married women traveling solo

Hello,
I'm just curious to know how many married women out there who has traveled specifically to Europe ALONE leaving husband/kids behind or about to embark in this exciting journey.
Which country and for how long? your good/bad experiences?

My husband has only two weeks a year while I get about five weeks so I am in the process of planning a solo trip. I've traveled with a tour group last year and spent 1/2 time by myself, this time I would like go alone.
thanks!
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 09:34 AM

I'm planning a solo trip or possibly with one neighbor for February 2005. I also have much more vacation time and the thought of just worrying about one person instead of 3 or 4 is wonderful!
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 09:35 AM
P_M

Count me in. I have done this every year for the last several years for the following reasons:

1. He has only 2 weeks vacation, and I have 4.

2. He likes travelling, but does not have the passion for it that I have. He would be much happier breaking up his 2 weeks vacation into several long weekends througout the year so he can go fishing.

3. He would go nuts if he had to save up all 2 weeks and use it at once, instead of taking off a few days here and there. Back in the days when I only had 2 weeks vacation/year, I was happy to save up my time for a big trip.

DH and I have acknowledged these differences and agreed to do our own thing for major vacations, although we go on at least one trip a year together, even if it's a short one. Next year will be a little different, as he says he wants to go to the UK in 2005. I hope this comes to pass, but if he changes his mind, I will be off to Europe again on my own.

You asked which country, well, there are too many to name. My experiences have been good, but my only regret is that I hate eating dinner alone. I'm OK with breakfast or lunch solo, but not dinner. For dinner I often take food back to the hotel room, or go to an outdoor cafe so I can watch the world go by while waiting for my food.

I have no kids, BTW.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 10:01 AM

I'm married with two children, don't know if this qualifies... I've gone to Europe several times with a friend or my mother. My husband stays home to care for the kids. We take family vacations, too, but I really enjoy my trips to Europe without the family. I say go for it!
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 10:18 AM

I went to Holland and Germany one year for two weeks alone. It was great. We generally go to Europe once a year together and those are great trips but my two weeks alone were very special. I did things I would never do with my DH (like going to mass at the Mainz cathedral.) The best part is doing exactly what you want to do when you want to do it. Next year I am going to the Christmas markets. I can't figure out who I would want to travel with so I'm going solo. (If I had any doubts about this, reedpaints' experience in Italy confirmed my plans.) Life is good. CJ
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 10:23 AM

Not exactly alone but since I have a girlfriend who lives in Europe I have gone over twice without my husband. Once for 2 weeks and once for 5 days.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 10:45 AM

I'm married, no kids, one dog and one and three quarter cats.

I travel often in Scotland on my own, and I've been to Spain, and Belgium sand spouse.

it's fun and liberating
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 10:47 AM

I've recently returned from a solo trip to US, Ireland, Europe and Greek Islands, leaving my husband, two kids and dog at home. I had an absolute ball. I did what I wanted to, not wasting precious time waiting for decisions to be made on what to eat or deciding on places to go. I was a free spirit for 7 weeks. Not once did I feel frightened or threatened, or even lonely. The hardest part was trying to manage my luggage which had tripled in size toward the end of my trip, or people that I met raising their eyebrows at me because I was a married woman travelling alone. Most people admired my courage, others thought I was crazy.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 10:50 AM

If you ask any experienced traveler, s/he will tell you: never take on a trip anything you can't afford to lose. So I leave my priceless husband at home.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 10:51 AM
P_M

<I'm married, no kids, one dog and one and three quarter cats.>

One and three quarter cats, Sheila? Is one of your cats missing a body part? Poor kitty....
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 10:56 AM

Count me as another one who travels without DH . . . traveling w/hubby is twice the money and half the fun.

We've been happily married for over 40 years and I think this is why!

Happy travels,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 10:58 AM

Yes, I have traveled solo to Europe and with one of my kids, and I am going to do so again shortly.

My husband who was born in Europe, lived there and traveled there, has no interest in going back. He hates the idea of flying, of jet lag, missing the comforts of home, eating food that doesn't agree with him, and even missing the kids for a couple weeks. None of these things bother me. (Of course I do miss the kids but they are quite capable of handling two weeks without me and don't mind.) Plus, my husband and kids typically talk to me for an hour or two every night while I'm away, thanks to cheap phone cards.

I haven't had any experiences that were actually bad. But being a solo female traveler does make you a more likely target of advances from men.

I wouldn't mind traveling with a friend who was very independent and non-whiny, but I'm not sure I know any who also have the freedom to go on a trip.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 11:06 AM

Have travelled twice to England on my own which is not as adventurous as going somewhere where English is not the first language, but both times I rented a car and drove and navigated by myself (or attempted to).

First trip I was burned out from work and wanted to recapture my spirit in Cornwall, stayed at an ancient stone cottage in Crackington Haven for a month, then travelled around. Missed my husband terribly but he wanted the 'old' me back. And I came back.

Second time I wanted to attend a writing course at Oxford and he wasn't the least bit interested. Had an amazing time, then rented a car and a cottage in Chipping Campden and explored the Cotswolds in depth.

Both times ended my trip with a stay in London, which I love. Have also travelled with my sister-in-law, a sister and my mother on different trips.

My husband is a great traveller, but just doesn't have the passion for England that I do. We've been married 27 years.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 11:07 AM

I've gone to Europe (Italy, London) without my husband because (1) he has less vacation time than I; and (2) being 6'4', he doesn't like to travel far distances, so he makes very infrequent trips to Europe unless he can go business or first (expensive!).

No real problems traveling without hubby, as he doesn't speak any foreign languages, and I was always tasked with doing the research and reservations anyway.

I've gone with sister or friends, so I haven't really been "alone." I think I may feel a little "lonely" if I went by myself, as I am not good with striking up conversations with strangers. Also, I like having someone to bounce off ideas (should I go here, eat there, etc.).
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 11:07 AM

I've just returned from three weeks in London, northern Belgium and northern France, without my husband. My reasons for travelling alone are similar to those given by P_M.

The trip went well. Although I love my husband and missed him greatly, travelling solo was also "fun and liberating" (as another poster says on this thread).

There were certain practical advantages as well: for example, I could eat when, where and what I wanted. My husband would usually insist on a big meal in a restaurant every noon hour and evening. On my own, I could have a picnic dinner in my hotel room (if I wanted) or just buy something from a street vendor and eat on a bench in a nearby park. I did that several times.

To my surprise, I also slept much better than usual: no snoring to wake me up throughout the night. (Never underestimate the value of a good night's sleep.)

I wouldn't want to make all my overseas trips alone; it is, after all, much more fun to travel with your soul mate. But travelling alone is certainly do-able, and can be enjoyable. I would much rather travel alone than not travel at all.

Old Nov 5th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Heck - we should coordinate all of these married women travelling solo for dinners while in Europe!
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 11:11 AM

I travel frequently in Europe and South America (well,for that matter in the USA) without my husband. He hates to fly, doesn't have the passion for travel I do and is basically a homebody. He stays with the dogs (we have four, and I remain curious about Sheila with a three quarter cat) and I go for a week or two at a time. In the last year I have been to the UK, France, Peru, Panama, Bermuda and numerous trips in the USA.
It seems to work for us.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 11:29 AM

cmeyer54, I think that's a good idea. I had dinner with a woman I met on one of the walking tours I went on during my last trip, and I enjoyed that.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 11:42 AM

Some years ago, whilst we were on holiday in France, we got a call from our friendly neighbourhood housesitter to the effect that our cats had disappeared the night before, and one had returned with a bad leg (turned out he'd been shot and the leg had to the amputated- don't waste your sympathy; the cat hasn't even noticed). The other came home two weeks after us.

The local gamekeeoer has since lost his job (heh, heh, heh!)

I hate to think of how many of our cats he's put paid to over the years.

Old Nov 5th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Wow! this is so interesting with great encouraging responses and positive experiences.....keep it coming!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -