Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Bordeaux south into Spain- tips please!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2013, 01:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

My Dad and I are flying to Bordeaux early July and planning on meandering down through SW France arriving in San Sebastien and then exploring the Spanish Basque region. We have 2 weeks. I would ideally like to reach Madrid before flying back to London.
Questions:
a) is all of this feasible or will it be a lot to cover?
b) I have not had any luck securing a campervan which was our initial thought to keep costs down- any suggestions on companies I could try?
c) if we choose to go with the car option I wonder if anyone can recommend low cost accommodation...I have heard "auberges" mentioned- ?
d) maybe we could rent a van once in Spain?

Haven't decided if we will stick to the coast and travel E5/E70 route or go bit more inland on E7.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. !!!!!!
Old May 18th, 2013, 02:48 AM

You have plenty of time to make your way slowly to Madrid. Depending on your budget, take a look at pensions which are often good value.

Can't help with camper vans other than you may have left it a bit late for July as the actual rentals, as well as the campgrounds, get booked up, particularly mid-July onward.

Do a search of kimhe's posts for great suggestions on San Sebàstian.
Old May 18th, 2013, 05:44 AM

If you rent a camper-van or car in France and drive it to Spain and leave it there to fly back to London you will incur a whopping (like 500E) fee to do so.

For auto rentals, check out AutoEurope or Kemwel.

An "auberge" is just an inn. There are accommodations like that all over Europe. You can research them on the internet or in guidebooks.

The route is up to you - depends on what you want to see, and guidebooks and maps will help you determine that.
Old May 18th, 2013, 06:12 AM

dozy: No matter how you and dad decide to drive south from Bordeaux, try to stop at the lunar-scaped coast near Bidart (about 4 miles south of Biarritz). Very unusual, with white sandy Atlantic beaches, too.

For the umpteenth time I'm suggesting the "elusive" Painted Forest ("El Bosque Pintado") between San Sebastian and historic Gernika. Only one Fodorite couple has ever followed through on this one and they were smitten by the unusual sight and have also recommended it on this forum. It will show on a good Michelin map. A dirt road (unless they've paved it in the past three years) takes you the last 5 0r 6 miles to the forest of oddly painted trees, by Agustin Ibarollo, a notable Basque artist. Photo ops will surround you...500 trees! I'll try to hunt up my pics and post them.

Be aware of the "drop charges" StCirq mentions above.

stu
Old May 18th, 2013, 06:52 AM

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuartto...ForestOfSpain#
Old May 18th, 2013, 07:00 AM

another group, Dozy:

http://www.pbase.com/txirloro/elbosque

This is a case of a photo not doing it justice. You have to be engulfed by the forest as you walk through it.
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure you visit the beautiful villages in the Pays Basque east of St-Jean de Luz, Ainhoa,Ascain, Sare, Espellette in the foothills of the Pyrenees,and Pais Vasco, Hondarribia in Spain.
Old May 18th, 2013, 12:13 PM

First of all July is the beginning of high season and the southwest coast of France is a very popular destination, so if you do decide to go in camper van, you will need reservations in order use any of the highly popular camp grounds in either France or Spain. As it's already mid-May, finding a place to park for the night will be rather difficult.

If you don't plan to camp out, you'll find getting accommodations this late in the game will also be difficult. If you don't have a plan, and confirmed reservations, you'll end up spending most of the day trying to find someplace to spend the night. Currently there are only a handful of hotel rooms available in San Sebastian-Donostia the first week of July because of the Donosti Cup.