Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive hotels in Rome? Florence? Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 11:09 AM
Jeff

I am travelling to rome mid-November. There will be three of us. We are all about twenty-eight and would like to find the best hotel for about thiry-five dollars (U.S.) a piece or about $100.00 a night. We are willing to get a double room and sleep one in a cot or on the floor each night. We need a private bath, but other amenities could be sacrificed. We would like to be in a central location, near some of the night life if possible. Any suggestions? Do they charge a flat rate for doubles or will we get charged for sleeping three? <BR> <BR>We are also going to Florence and Venice and would like similar suggestions for those cities. <BR> <BR>Thanks in Advance!! <BR> <BR>Jeff

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 06:27 PM
David

In Rome you may want to consider Hotel Marcus. It is near the Spanish Steps. The rooms come with private baths. I wasn't particularly crazy about the place; I think they had nicer rooms than what was given to us. In May the rate was 200,000 lira for a double. <BR>In FLorence we stayed at Hotel Boston which was near the train Station and about a 10 minute walk to the Accademia. Nice small Hotel with a very friendly couple managing or owning the place. Finally in Venice we stayed at Hotel Riva near San Marco which we really enjoyed. All three hotels ran about 100 or less. You may be able to do better in Rome and Florence but at least this is a start. Have a great time.

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 04:51 AM
Jeff

David, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the input, I will definately look into those suggestions a little further.

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 09:02 AM
cheryl

In Venice we stayed at the Bernardi-Semenzato. We paid under $100 for two people with a private bath. Our room could sleep three, and while I'm sure there is a charge for the third person, this hotel would probably be in your budget. We would stay there again.

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 08:43 PM
frank

I know there is a Hotel Boston in Venice. It is part of the Minotel group of hotels. Try the Minotel website. <BR>

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 06:16 AM
Paul

Just got back from Italy, and we stayed at the Hotel Casci in Florence (as did some others on this list). It runs from 130,000 to 190,000 a night for a double room. The hotel is two stars, and was very clean, comfortable and quiet. It's a block and a half from the Duomo on via Cavour - a great location. Their web site is www.hotelcasci.com.

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 06:24 AM
Paulo

Unless breakfast is not included in the rate, there'll always be an additional fee por a 3rd person in a double. <BR> <BR>Mid November is low season and you should be able to find rooms meeting your requirements, possibly 2-star hotels in both Rome and Florence and 1-star hotels in Venice. I don't think you actually need to reserve ahead of time. You should be able to secure a room as you get there. You may write down a list of tentative hotels (recommended specially for location) and contact them in turn from the Tourist Office in the train station. Regarding location, in Venice (as long as you stay in center town or the Giudecca island) it really doesn't matter. In Florence, any place in the OLD town should do. In Rome, I value most the Campo de' Fiori area. From there towards Piazza di Spagna it's also pretty convenient. <BR> <BR>In Rome, you may try Albergo del Sole or Albergo Campo de' Fiori, both very well located. <BR>In Florence, the Hotel Le Vigne may fit your bill. Nothing special, but clean big rooms and well located in the corner of Piazza Sta. Maria Novella. <BR>In Venice I would give Hotel Caneva a shot. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>PS. One usually gets a 4-5% discount if one promises to pay cash (Italian Lire instead of CC). If you insist on securing your room ahead of time, use your credit card as a guarantee only. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 11:41 AM
Jeff

All your comments are very much appreciated. I'm not having as much trouble in Rome or Florence finding a place, but we are going to be in Venice on the weekend (Nov. 19-20) and are having trouble getting rooms. Most are either booked or very expensive. Thanks again.

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 06:44 PM
Cecelia

Try travelscape.com. I just booked a four star hotel in Rome for $83 a night.They have similar bargains for Florence. These prices were good for November. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 05:58 AM
Carol

Hi Jeff: <BR> <BR> <BR>Did you try the Albergo Paganelli in Venice?

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 06:41 AM
Paulo

In Venice, Jeff, you should limit your search to 1-star hotels (I don't believe you'll be able to find any 2-star hotel room lodging 3 with breakfast for about Lit 180,000). You should also note that it's quite different to inquire about a double (without mentioning that there'll be 3 of you) than about a triple. Most doubles in Venice (in 1-, 2- and even 3-star hotels) are on the small side and a third bed wouldn't fit. When you inquire about a triple this will normally mean a bigger room and an extra "real" bed. <BR> <BR>You should be able to find a 1-star hotel double room for Lit 150,000 or less. If one of you is sleeping on the floor, I estimate the hotel should be charging an extra of Lit 20,000 or so for breakfast. <BR> <BR>In my files, I have the following budget hotels list: <BR> <BR>- Hotel Riva (Ponte dell'Angelo, San Marco 5310, tel +39 041 522 7034, fax +39 041 522 8555) <BR>- Hotel Caneva (Ramo della Fava, Castello 5515 - tel +39 041 522 8118; fax +39 041 520 8676 <BR>- Locanda Casa Petrarca (Calle degli Schiavini, San Marco 4386 telefax +39 041 520 0430) <BR>- Albergo Doni (Calle del Vin, San Marco 4656, tel/fax +39 041 522 4267) <BR>- Hotel Minerva & Nettuno (Lista di Spagna, Cannaregio 230 - tel +39 041 715 968; fax +39 041 524 2139) <BR>- Albergo Casa Peron (Salizzada S Pantalon, 85 - tel. +39 041 710 021; fax +39 041 711 038 <BR>- Hotel Ai do Mori (San Marco 658 - tel. +39 041 5204817/5289293 fax +39 041 5205328 <BR>- Hotel Noemi (Calle dei Fabbri, San Marco 909 - tel/fax ???) <BR> <BR>For what's worth, the Petrarca, Riva and Doni are recommended by Rick Steves and the Petrarca, Noemi and Ai do Mori by the LP guide. <BR>I've only used the Minerva and the Caneva in the distant past ... If nothing has changed I would stay with the Caneva though the Minerva might be the most interesting in your case because of the rooms size: from what I remember they were unusually large for Venice. The Riva has been often recommended here but you'd have to go through the nuisance of making a money order, deposit or sending a TC to secure reservation. I have also written down a recommendation to take room #5 at the Noemi (no idea where I got this!). <BR> <BR>Fore more info on these and other 1-star hotels visit <BR>http://www.veniceinfo.it/ <BR> <BR>Above site may also be used for general reservations (you specify your requirements and the Venetian Hotel Association finds you an appropriate room - you may not specify hotel name). <BR> <BR>Hope this helps you out! <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>