Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling between London and Scotland - where to recover from jetlag.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family will be traveling to the UK in late July. We will fly into Heathrow (red-eye), would like to spend the night after we arrive somewhere in or close to London (to recover), and then take the train north toward Edinburgh (out of King’s Crossing station). After spending a couple of weeks, mostly in Scotland, we plan to head back to England and will spend our last three or so days exploring London.

We would like advice on where to stay the first night upon arrival in London. We have been told that staying in London, just to recover from jetlag, does not make sense (too expensive). Rick Steves suggests taking a National Express bus to Bath, for example, but Bath is not on the London-Edinburgh train line. Does anyone have suggestions regarding a place to stay that first night that positions us to continue northward via train toward York/Edinburgh? If so, what is the best way to get there from Heathrow?

Also, after leaving the London area by train, is there any reason not to make stops along the way, rent a car to explore areas such as York or Hadrian’s Wall, and continue by train to destinations farther north?

Thank you in advance,
Carol
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 06:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I would not 'eat' a night in London and definitely not in Bath. I'd book a flight directly up to Edinburgh from LHR the same day. It will be less hassle than schlepping into London. Freshen up in an airport lounge, have an early lunch/brunch, fly to EDI and be checked into your Edinburgh hotel by 2-ish PM.

You don't want a car in Edinburgh - but collect your rental when you leave the city, tour around Scotland, then down to Northumberland/Hadrian's Wall, on to Yorkshire. Drop the car when you arrive in York - stay one night and take the train to King's Cross.

(Ignore anything and most everything Rick Steves says about England - some really goofy suggestions)
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 10:56 PM

Completely agree with janisj! Don't waste a day, just fly straight to Edinburgh.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 12:34 AM

I agree with janis.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 03:06 AM

I also agree with Janis, it's only an hour's flight. I would save the exploring of northern England for the more leisurely return journey.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 12:32 AM

We often take a daytime flight from New York to London, arriving around 9 pm at Heathrow. I bid on Priceline for an airport hotel, usually under $100. The next morning, we are on our way. We did this going to York by train the next morning. Another time, headed to Manchester.

But, you will be arriving in the morning, so spending the whole day at an airport hotel is not appealing, although it would be economical. If it is too late to fly directly to Edinboro, I would spend the night in central London. But getting straight to Edinboro would be better.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 01:34 AM

There are several flights daily from LHR to EDI, so there's no need to dally in London.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 08:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
travelgirl2: >>fly directly to Edinboro<<, >>getting straight to Edinboro<<

There is no Edinboro in the UK -- that is in Pennsylvania.

The city in Scotland is Edinburgh . . .