Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What will change for you if the in-flight electronics ban is extended?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2017, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was only a matter of time, I suppose:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1862QS

What will you need to do differently when traveling if you'd have to put laptops, tablets, and larger smartphones into checked luggage on the way home?

I wouldn't feel happy about checking my ipad, so I would not bring it anymore. I couldn't back up photos. Without the ipad, I'd have to do more research before I go, which I had slacked off of lately, and bring printed lists again. Without the ipad, I will hate air travel even more than I do now. I might not feel comfortable about being away for longer trips. Those are a few things that would change for me.

What about you?
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I never check a bag so I'd be up a creek.. Guess I could consider transatlantic by ship . . .

I could survive w/o one or the other (iPad mini / phone) but w/o either would be tough. Or I could just buy a disposable phone in Europe.

But heck -- I traveled for years w/o any electronics at all so it isn't impossible.
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:13 AM

I definitely wouldn't bring my tablet under these circumstances; I know my tablet will disappear. I guess I'd have to just read and play games / music just on my phone. A pain, but doable. The tablet was especially helpful on my trips when I needed to look up something, which was easier on a bigger screen than a phone.

It's a good thing I don't do international business travel because I don't see how those folks will deal with not working on the plane or the risk of having their company laptops stolen from checked luggage.
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:18 AM
twk

I have always taken my laptop (which I use mostly for backing up photos, or any business that simply cannot be put off until I return) in checked luggage, so I don't think it will impact me much. For European travel, I check a bag which used to be considered legal for carryon (when they didn't count the wheels), but which can also be expanded a bit, and then had a small tote bag in the cabin. I usually put my electronics in the checked bag so that I didn't have to fool with them going through security.

However, the last few times I've flown domestically, I've traveled with a tablet rather than my laptop so that I can go strictly carryon, and I have used it in flight. If this ban ever extends to domestic travel, then it will impact me.
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:20 AM

We are going in 3 weeks, but weren't going to check anything on our budget carriers. I am bring my LG G3, which has a screen big enough to serve as a tablet for a short time anyway.
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't blog on my phone. I guess I could go back to getting CDs cut to back up my photos!

However, I am more likely to switch to repositioning cruises (am already considering that for next year to get a quick look at the Azores). Would also consider flying into Canada, unless it goes the same way.

Do think the airlines may come up with some better answers than putting valuables in checked luggage. I think one of the ME airlines was gate checking electronics in padded boxes.
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:33 AM

I'd read more.
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:42 AM

We're actually connecting to our next European flight through Toronto; it was just sheer luck as I was pricing out premium economy options. Now I'm rather grateful.
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:47 AM

twk I hope you remove the battery from your laptop - Lithium batteries are not supposed to be carried in the hold, which begs the question which offers more risk - a terrorist bomb or a Lithium battery fire in the hold? 33 cases of Lithium fires in the hold known to FAA last year, mostly in the cabin and successfully extinguished. Impossible to extinguish with current fire extinguishers in the holds on planes.

I won't be flying anywhere, any time soon so it has no affect on me, but if I were there is no way I would check my DSLR camera.
Laptop I can do without I guess, just take/buy more SD cards or buy a film camera or not take photos at all, and go back to reading real books for the duration.
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:00 AM

<i>which begs the question which offers more risk - a terrorist bomb or a Lithium battery fire in the hold?</i>

Howabout a terrorist bomb AND a Lithium battery fire in the hold?
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:09 AM

I travel with just my phone, but was considering getting an e-reader for longer flights--now I think I won't, because I prefer reading on paper anyway, so the whole point of the e-reader, for me, was to use it on airplanes. Never mind!

I would be very annoyed to have to check my phone, though, it's just too useful (during layovers, for example) but I suppose the whole rest of the world would be annoyed, too.

SO takes long haul flights pretty often, and is bummed to have to leave his iPad at home. He liked having it as a backup if the in-flight entertainment system was down, or just the screen at his seat broken, which has happened to him before. He is considering putting it into his checked luggage for his next trip, but he doesn't need the iPad so much on the ground.

Many people need their laptops urgently, not on the plane but in general if they are traveling for work. Gate checking them in padded boxes, as, indeed, one of the ME carriers was doing, is great, but I bet too costly for the majority of carriers to do.
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:29 AM

I will read books like I do now. I do not own a tablet and have no need to travel with a laptop.
So it won't affect me at all.
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:41 AM

Jeez, I may have to go back to reading books, rather than listening to them or watching stuff on my iPad. However, if they allow small iPhones, then no change.

I am most worried about checking my laptop when travelling on business. No doubt baggage handlers world-wide will benefit from the extra income that will provide!

Interestingly, I was thinking today about investigating travelling from London through Europe by train. It would take longer to get to the destination, but I love train travel.
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:47 AM

If the ban happens before June 1, I will have some adjustments to make before I fly home out of Paris at the end of May. Already over here with small laptop, small tablet, two (small) Android phones. I didn't check any bags coming over, wasn't planning to going home but could check one of them. Not only am I worried about losing or breaking something, I won't have much to read on the 10+ hr flight to Seattle without the ebooks on the tablet. I did bring a few small paperbacks - guess they might come in handy!

My other worry is that officials at airport security in Paris will be confused and overwhelmed trying to understand the new rules and that security will take forever. So how many hours early should I expect to arrive before my flight now?
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:50 AM

Theft is always a risk, but there is also the jostling, which isn't good for laptops (notebooks and tablets fare better). We travel with 22" bags that rarely weigh more than 25 lbs and I swear they get tossed around more than big bags. Wouldn't want my laptop inside.
Old May 11th, 2017, 09:04 AM

Ugh - I travel often for work, never check luggage and often have to use my laptop during the flight, even when on vacation. Gate checking the laptop could work, and routing through also Canada sounds good...as does moving there permanently.
Old May 11th, 2017, 09:06 AM

I bring my iPad Air with me so that I have dozens of books and magazines to read as well as streaming TV. I definitely don't feel comfortable leaving it in checked luggage (and rarely check a bag, anyway). Guess I'll be loading up on used books that I can leave at my destination. Oy.
Old May 11th, 2017, 09:07 AM

Not a problem for me, as we check luggage and read books during the flights.
Old May 11th, 2017, 09:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Not a problem for me, as we check luggage . . . <<

So you regularly put valuable things in checked bags? Hope you have great insurance.
Old May 11th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm. Insurance.

I don't suppose most regular travel insurance covers valuables, especially in checked luggage. I wonder if there will be special riders available for the new circumstances.

But that is probably a whole 'nother thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -