Do's & Don'ts-Also don't forget...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Italy (1st time)on 4/29 for 12 days. Florence,Rome and Sorrento.
What shouldn't I forget to bring?
What shouldn't I leave home without. Moneybelt needed?
What about converting American cash into euro's? Someone said do it right when you get off the plane, where?
Is it better to use your credit cards?
Things NOT to do while in Italy.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 07:54 AM

We never used our money belts that I purchased and had no problems - but others would not travel with out them (only takes one time I imagine of being a victim of theft!)

Photo copy your passports and keep them in a seperate area then your passports. I also photo copied my credit cards front and back in case of theft so I would have the numbers to call.

I did not convert any cash to Euros before arrival. No issues. Hit the ATM when we got there. We hit an ATM in the airport upon arrival.

We used our credit cards for most things because we like to earn points.

Things I am glad I did not forget --
Converter
travel blanket (my issue LOL)
DVD player for daughters

Just make sure you have your tickets, passport and credit cards - you will be fine - ENJOY!!
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Learn a few simple phrases in Italian, be polite gracious and DON'T tell people how you do things at home....They do not care!!!
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 08:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't forget:
passport
ATM card/cash/credit card
plane ticket info
hotel confirmations

You can get euro ahead from your home bank if you feel better having some in advance, or wait and get them by using an ATM machine at your arrival airport or city.

Moneybelts, some people do, some don't. Remember, they are meant as a way to keep the important things hidden and safe, not to use in place of a purse or wallet.

Old Mar 8th, 2008, 08:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I like learning at least a few words in the language. Don't forget to bring your smile and leave your attitude (if you have one!) at home. Smiles and hand gestures work extremely well in terms of communication. Bring patience -- relax over meals and take your time enjoying and savoring.

Things I personally don't leave home without:
* a camera, nice & small can be whipped out of my purse in a moment's notice;
* pillow (yes, I'm one of THOSE);
* extra adapters (most appliances have dual voltage these days, so a converter isn't necessary, but the adapters are necessary to charge batteries, and I can't tell you how many times I leave them stuck in an outlet in a hotel!);
* extra pair of glasses/contacts (if you wear them) -- some people can get by if they lose or break a pair; I am completely blind and spending a lot of time trying to get them replaced or fixed while on vacation is not fun;
*decent shoes that are broken in -- trust me on this, Italy is the WORST place to break in a new pair of shoes;
* plan "B" -- for those times when there's a rail strike or a this strike or a that strike -- in other words, it's okay to have a plan on what you're going to do, but sometimes the museum or church is closed because of the Pope or a holiday or something you didn't expect and you need to rethink (all of the above occurred on our last trip -- we didn't get to go to Pompeii and we couldn't get in to see the Sistine Chapel -- but instead we got to take part in the Peter & Paul festivities and see the Pope);
*At least 100 euro, because I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law and that if I arrived without any cash, all the atms would go down at the same time!
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 08:24 AM

When using trains, don't forget to stamp your ticket before boarding.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 08:32 AM

sassafrass - that is VERY good advice...as I did not know and did not do this!
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 08:40 AM

Money belt needed?
Not "needed" in the sense of required documents like passports. It "improves" chances of preventing thefts when used properly. Those know someone close or themselves became victims of pickpocket usually would not travel without them. Those who have not had things stolen, for whatever the reason, don't feel reason to use them.

Converting American cash into Euro?
Not as a first choice: very bad rate.
ATM off the plane at the airport is fine AS LONG AS your ATM card works. Consider many many factors that can prevent you from getting your money: ATM not working, you cannot wait for the long line, you do not like people hanging around ATM machine, your banks puts "hold" on your card because the transaction is coming from a foreign city, your bank is temporarily offline.

Then what are you going to do?

As long as you have a backup plan, "get EURO after arriving using an ATM" plan is ok. I bring enough large denomination US dollar bills in my money belt. I can use this money to get EURO as a backup.

Better to use credit cards?
May be:
- The merchant must accept them.
- You don't care to take advantage of cash only discounts often offered by small family run hotels.
- You bank does not charge all sorts of fees above 1% charged by VISA/MC.
- You don't fall for a dynamic currency conversion
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Bookmarking. Need to keep these in mind for my first trip too!
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:10 AM

@ dawnnoelm and others:

Do NOT photocopy your credit cards - especially not both the front and the back. If someone got ahold of those copies it would be effectively as good as having your actual card(s). They would have your CC#, your security code from the back, and a sample of your signature. As much credit card fraud takes place in online transactions, and security codes are required more and more, you definitely don't want someone having it as well as the card number.

If you want to carry contact information for the cards with you, just make a list of the CC #s and the corresponding bank phone number - and leave a copy of the list at home with a trusted friend/family member.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM

Sounds silly but don't forget your notes/itinerary! Like most of us I'm sure you've spent a little time organizing some restaurants that you want to try, or made a list of some shops you want to check out - be sure to have your notes with you when you leave the house!
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:28 AM

good point on the cc - don't know why I was so foolish!!
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:44 AM

This may sound funny but don't forget socks. I did the last time and Italy is a walking city. By the 3rd day I had blisters on my feet.

Get Euros off you bank card. There is a surcharge when charging on the cc.

Notify your bank and credit card company you are going to Italy (or wherever) and give them dates. You shouldn't have a problem when using them over there. Make sure you write down the bank and cc phone numbers in case the card is stolen or lost. Let them know when you have returned. If you are making precharges for reservations before you leave let them know this too so they approve them.

DO NOT BOTHER WITH TRAVELER'S CHECKS IN ITALY. One one trip I had $500 worth of these tucked away that no one would cash, except a bank that displayed an American Express sign, and they made me submit a form and took a picture of my passport before cashing them; very disconcerting and I couldn't afford to buy anything for days.

Also, don't bother buying a phone card. They don't work either in hotels or payphones at least in Rome. You have to use a credit card, which I felt uncomfortable using and ended up emailing a note home I'd arrived and was okay. Verizon will not work in Italy (or charges $$$ for roaming) bouncing off some network.

Anyone have suggestions for a cell phone (preferably one time only usage)?
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 12:15 PM

i have a money belt and i divide my cash and credit cards up..never keep them in the same place...so i might have a credit card zipped into my cargo pants pocket and some cash in my belt
there are gypsies and they do get in your face
be careful with wallets in back pockets
a friend of mine was robbed..one guy pretended he was drunk and picked up my friend with his hands round his backside..his wallet was pushed up and out..(lost lots of cash because he had just gone to buy a piece of artwork and the vendor needed cash)
by the time he realised another guy pick pocketed and ran into the crowd..they can work in pairs or even more
if i withdraw a reasonable amt of cash i might put some in my shoe...
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 12:15 PM

Don't forget to tell your bank that you'll be traveling so they don't freeze your accounts. And don't forget to call them at least once or twice more to make sure that the first person did it right. One bank rep told me they might freeze my account anyway if they saw foreign charges, but after I calmly explained that THIS is why I'm telling you NOW..everything went fine.
I just took my own cell phone and used it - TMobile has an international calling deal that's free for sign up, and it's only 99 cents per minute for calls.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Just an idea regarding the copying of such things as credit cards.

I just scanned each side and saved it in a WORD document on my home computer. I then sent it to myself via email so that I could access it at anytime from a cyber cafe when traveling if needed.

I realize the problem should someone get that copy on a "community" computer but I would imagine I would get a new CC # all together, if not I could request it.

For back-up I sent a copy of the WORD document to my mom, just incase the format I saved it in was not compatiable and I could not open it.

Always have a backup!!

So less to carry around and I felt secure having access to the information at anytime should we need it. Luckily we have not yet!
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
yk

I have a money belt and I usually bring it along, though I don't use it every day.

I don't use it when I'm in a city I know well, such as London and perhaps Paris.

In new places, I use it when I'm carrying my luggage (not enough hands to "guard" my purse) or when I'm tired such as just getting off the plane. I tend to use it more often when I'm traveling alone vs traveling with people.

Even if you don't carry a money belt, make sure you divide up your cash/CC into various pockets in your purse. In that way, even if your wallet is taken from your purse, you still have some $ hidden somewhere.

I usually leave my passport and extra cash in the safe in my hotel room and just take enough $ on me for the day.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 11:56 AM

In addition to what's already been posted by others, here's my list:

* Addresses and zipcodes of people you want to send postcards to (Is XYZ's zipcode 12345 or 12354?)
* Sunscreen and/or a hat.
* "Disposable clothing" -- clothing that you can throw away at the end of the trip, or use as protection for liquids/bottles in your luggage (like to protect that €50 bottle of Brunello you want to bring home)
* About €100-€200 in cash, which is enough to cover you on your first day or two if Murphy's Law strikes and renders the ATM or your ATM card "fuori servizio" (out of order)
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't forget anything prescription because that's WAY more difficult to replace... meds, glasses, sunglasses or contacts
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Be aware that almost all credit card companies (banks) charge a 3% "foreign transaction fee" for anything purchased outise the USA. It will show up on your statement when you return home.

Capital One is one of the very few that does not charge the fee. Check with your card company before you leave. They will tell you if they charge the fee. If they do, then you might want to apply for the Capital One Visa or MasterCard.

On top of the low value of the dollar, an extra (and often unexpected) 3% fee, is not the kind of souvenir most of us want to have when we get back home.

Also - if you are using your ATM debit card to get cash - remember most banks charge a flat fee per transaction, so take out as much cash as you can at each ATM - so you will be paying the fee fewer times.

One other tip - this one is not to do with banking - pick up a couple really cheap folding travel umbrellas (the Dollar Store is a great place to get them). If it's raining, you won't have to buy an umbrella at top dollar while in Italy. If you accidentally lose one, it's no big deal if it only cost a dollar!

You are going to some of the most amazing places ever - Have a wonderful trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -