Search

Barcelona to Torrevieja (Alicante)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona to Torrevieja (Alicante)

HI,

Planning holiday for June this year. Will start with a few days in Barcelona, then are driving down to just below Torrevieja.

Going to do this drive in one day, but was looking for some advice on the trip.

Will probably start off around 9.30 on a Sunday morning and aim to get down sometime early evening (18:00 to 19:00), maybe a little later.

Will have three kids with us (ages 6 to 2) so was hoping to get some pointers on where to stop off for a few hours. Was thinking of breaking the trip into 3 ( 3 x 2 hour segments), or might just try and do it with just one stop, but two three hour journeys might be a bit much on the kids.

Would love to hear others experience, and some suggestions on where to stop off etc.

Thanks
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 08:33 AM

You're right in that it will be a long day, especially for the children. Hopefully you're planning on stopping for a lunch, as well as sightseeing.

You might consider making your first stop in Castellón, about 2-1/2 hours south of Barcelona. Get out and walk around its orange-tree lined streets and venture into the old quarter for a Almuerzo, a traditional mid to late morning break, or brunch in some places, generally taken before noon. Lunch, or comida, on Sunday, is usually taken later in the day, often after 15:30.

If you don't want to visit or spend some time in Valencia on the drive down, then you might consider following the coast to Calpe for your next break. It would be a little over 2 hours drive and would make a good stop. There are several decent restaurants in the area, but you should make reservations ahead of time for a Sunday lunch.

From Calpe, it's only about a 1-1/2 hour drive into Torrevieja.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 10:40 AM

The route is along the boring AP7 (tolled Autovia)And according to Google the trip will take around 5.5 hours. So it will be easy to break the trip up.
However if you want to stop and enjoy a lunch then that ill typically add around 1.5 to 2 hours to the journey time. Being an Autovia there will be plenty of service areas where you can eat something and stretch your legs. However you will not get high class cuisine in them, but the food will be very acceptable. Do not forget the children must be in the rear of the car and must be seated in child seats too.
One can fly then hire a car if you wanted too.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 02:36 PM

if you want to see a nice castle town, Peñiscola is about 2 hours south of Barcelona. It's very picturesque and on a nice beach and much nicer than Castellón IMHO.

Getting on and off highway takes a lot of time.. see where the highway comes closest to the beach, ( I believe it is Moraria) and get off there for second stop if you decide to follow the AP7. otherwise go the interior route.. Don't even think of getting off in Benidorm if you follow the coast road .

At all of these stopovers do not have anything visible in the car and do not open the trunk when you stop nor put your computer or belongings into the trunk at a parking area, best to carry most valuables with you.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 02:41 PM

here is the more direct interior route that is not a toll road once in valencia area.

http://tinyurl.com/prlrxfp
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 11:24 PM

<i>"At all of these stopovers do not have anything visible in the car and do not open the trunk when you stop nor put your computer or belongings into the trunk at a parking area, best to carry most valuables with you." </i>
Blimey that makes that part of Spain sound bad. I have just done a round trip between Galicia, along the North coast into France, into Belgium and end in The Netherlands.
The car, a Station Wagon was loaded up, so much so you could see it in the suspension. I could not cover everything up as the back seats were folded down. Not once did I feel that threaten during the day time. But I did look for hotels with secure parking overnight. During the day time like stops for meals or sightseeing the during the storms inn the Basque country I just parked the car.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Excellent,

Thanks very much for the replies. I think two stop offs for an hour or two in each could be the right way to go. Will certainly look further into Peñiscola / Castellon. And Calpe looks like a good shout to get the kids out onto the beach before the final leg of the journey.

It will be a long day but treating it as an adventure, and hoping to enjoy it, and that the kids actually enjoy it despite the long time in the car.