Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cinque Terre to Tuscany, train then car, where to pick up rental?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone kindly give me some advice on where to pick up my car-rental?
My family of 4 (2 kids) want to take an early train from Monterosso into the Tuscany region. Then pick up a car and drive through the scenic rolling hills and possibly visit
a few towns on the way. We don't have a destination in Tuscany yet,
but am really interested in Chianti region (SR 222?) or San Gimiginano to Voltera area,
stay one night and then board a train to Rome.
I have visited the mesmerizing San Gimiginano before so may be Chianti is
perferred. Which train station should I travel into for picking up a car
to drive around, preferrably some rental place not too far from train station
as we'll have luggage (travelling from US) and not that difficult to find, and
won't close in the middle of the day? Also, assuming one way rental does
not cost too much more, we can return car and board train from a different
place for a more convenient train ride into Rome the next day. Do you
have suggestion for such a station? Thanks so much for helping me shape
up this exiting trip in June.

We have been to Florence, Pisa and Siena 10 years ago and don't
need to visit them again unless it makes sense for our itinerary. (So many great
places, so little time!)

betty
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 03:02 PM

The only car rental office that won't close in the middle of the day would be at the airport in Pisa. It is also the only one open on Sundays and holidays.

If you are not traveling on a Sunday, just take a train from Monterosso al Mare to La Spezia -- about a 20 minute ride. I believe the Avis rental office is closer to the train station in La Spezia than the Hertz office. It really doesn't matter because you can put your luggage in storage at the train station and come back and pick it up. Or one adult and the 2 kids can wait at the train station with the luggage while the other adult picks up the car (unless both adults plan to take turns driving).

You need to double check that it is possible for you to rent a car for just one night. If you can, you should think about dropping off the car in Chiusi or Orvieto to take the train to Rome, Like I said, all these offices will be closed in the middle of the afternoon, and closed all of Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday and holidays -- except for the Pisa airport location.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 03:55 PM

We are picking our rental up in Bologna - the car hire places are either in the train station or very nearby.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks zeppole, for the great tips! I'd indeed be travelling on a Sunday (7/1). Bummer! I guess Pisa airport is the only choice but seems like there's train from Pisa Central to the Pisa Airport, so should be doable? The bigger problem is the 1 day rental! No wonder I kept entering dates and location on Kemwel's website and no cars show up. Looks like it has to be at least 3 days. I wonder if any local or smaller agency would be willing to rent for a day. Otherwise, I guess a drive through the Tuscany would not be possible

betty
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 05:10 PM

There are buses that leave from Flrorence that go to Greve in Chianti and I believe Panzano as well. I am sorry, but I don't know their schedules. But if they don't leave at the crack of dawn, maybe you could take the train to Florence and catch a bus for your one night in Tuscany. Buses leave from there to go back to Florence or south to Siena. From Florence you can take a train to Rome. From Siena, a bus.

Likewise, there are buses that go to San Gimignano from Pisa, and from San Gimignano to Siena if you wanted to overnight in San Gimignano. Don't know the schedules.

If the bus schedules don't work for you, maybe you would think it worth it to take a train to Florence or Arezzo and have a driver take you to Panzano or Greve. Don't know the costs. On Monday, you could catch the bus or take a taxi to the closest train station.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the suggestions and helping me out. To make it easier I have changed my plans to rent car for 3 days. Once I arrive in Florence airport (day 1), will stay in Lucca for 2 nights and just drive to Cinque Terre for a day trip (day 2), and tour the Chianti region (day 3) before dropping car off at Chiusi to ride train to Rome (day 4). Staying in Cinque Terre is pretty expensive and dragging luggage along with kids for just 1 night seems too much hassle. Will park car in Levanto for the day in Cinque Terre. Thanks especially for the Chiusi station advice, really helps to know that.