Wednesday April 28
This is a report on my three-week trip, mostly in the Czech Republic with a few days in Krakow and one day in Frankfurt to see the city from a different perspective than the airport.
Today I learned that the Frankfurt transportation system is great:
The train from the Frankfurt airport to the main Frankfurt station was simple. Follow the train signs down the escalators. The ticket machine was a bit of a mystery but I found someone to help. You put in the code for Frankfurt (50) and then push the button for the Hauptbahnhof (main station). The price was E3.80. The machine gives change if you put in coin.
First stop – Hotel National in Frankfurt
The hotel is a short walk from the train station. When exiting the station, keep to the right of the station, hugging the station wall, do not go to the street. At the side street, cross over and take the second street on the right. If you see the Hotel Excelsior, the National is right behind it on the next street. Price per night for a single is E62 and comes with a welcome drink in the bar which opens at 7:00. Breakfast is an additional E12 (I did not take breakfast). There is an electric kettle and coffee/tea provisions in the room and a mini bar. Good size room with twin beds. The twin beds were along one wall and had a low, wooden partition between them. The bathroom was long and narrow but plenty of room with a large shower. I did hear some slight noise during the night from people partying but I had the window open.
The hotel has a restaurant but it is not open every night. I asked for a recommendation for dinner and was directed to a good restaurant specializing in German food just a few blocks away. The restaurant is Baseler Eck at Baseler Platz 7. I ordered a small dark beer (excellent) and sauerbraten in a heavy, wine-rich sauce accompanied by 2 sticky dumplings and apple sauce. The beer was so good that I ordered another small one. So ends day 1.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 [email protected] renewal Installation CONTACT ☎1800.681.7208 AVGTec*hH supp0rt 24/7
- 2 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 3 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 4 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 5 Paris Apartment
- 6 Chinese new year festivities in Paris
- 7 Milan airport--which one
- 8 Which Area in London?
- 9 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 10 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 11 Visit to France
- 12 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 13 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 14 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 15 family trip to Germany and more
- 16 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 17 Trains - website?
- 18 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 19 Barcelona to Malaga
- 20 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 21 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 22 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 23 1st time to Europe
- 24 Paris November 2017
- 25 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
Czech Republic, Krakow, and a day in Frankfurt: A Solo, Budget Trip Report
Wednesday April 28