Honeymoon help for Bavaria, Austria and Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My soon to be husband and I are planning a honeymoon for 2 weeks in late May into early June. We plan on flying in to Munich to spend 5 days, then to the mountains of Innsbruck Austria for 2 days and the last 5 days in Paris. Any suggestions as to what to see? We want to see museums but also want some relaxing moments where we don't feel like a tourist and just explore. We don't have to stay just in Munich either. Maybe a few days there and then hit some smaller towns outside of Munich or just soley use Munich as our base camp. Any must sees in Austria and Paris? This will be both our first times to Europe so any advice/tips is helpful.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 03:47 PM

5 days in Paris is a good start but you can't see everything and shouldn't try to. Spend time strolling the neighborhood and sitting in the cafes, relax and enjoy the great food, wine, etc...

It depends on your individual interests but my favorite museum is Musee d'Orsay...lots of impressionistic paintings (with lots more) but I prefer it to the Louvre. The Louvre is just massive and I just don't enjoy it as much.

I'm not much for needing to do all the traditional touristy things at all, so I have never stood in line to go up in the Eiffel Tower. Notre Dame is beautiful but I probably wouldn't stand in line to go up to the towers on a 5 day visit.

I think Sacre Coeur is gorgeous and the view of Paris from there is spectacular.

The Musee Rodin is also great and the gardens out back are so nice, especially if you have good weather.

Maybe pick up lunch from Gerard Mulot (they have amazing pastries, chocolates, desserts and little quiches, sandwiches and more) to take to Luxembourg Gardens.

The area around Place des Vosges is also great and would be good in good weather.

Opera Garnier is such an amazing and opulent building, worth a visit.

I don't know where you are staying in Paris, so you might wish to stay close and really explore the area where you are staying. You will learn a lot from the forum and others suggestions and trip report. Do what you enjoy and don't worry about "missing" things...you will never be able to see everything. I think your desire to just explore is the way to go.

We prefer the 6th arrondisement because of the neighborhood feel, lots of great cafes and shops.

We just returned from Paris (there over Christmas). I love it and will always want to go back. (My TR is "Christmas in Paris was Fantastic" with links to our photos if you want to hear and see what we did....we wanted to just enjoy and not spend too much time chasing down the top tourist sites for this trip; my 3rd trip, his 2nd to Paris). Enjoy the planning and good luck!
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 03:48 AM

I have not yet been to Innsbruck but have been to Munich and Paris a number of times.

I am not a big fan of Paris and you have already received some good suggestions above by someone who is so I leave those recommendations to those who enjoy the city.

Munich is a vibrant and interesting city and one I really enjoy but I would not spend 5 nights there. It makes a good base for day trips to a wide range of places depending on your interests. Regensburg, Nuremberg, Chiemsee am Prien, Garmisch are just a few options if you do decide on an extended stay.

One of our favorite cities in this area for a romantic trip is Salzburg. We are just back from our 6th stay there and hope to get back in 2012 and spend a week. It is a lovely small city with easy access to the beautiful Salzkammergut by public transport. In December we visited Bad Ischl from Salzburg and had a fabulous day there. We have also visited St. Gilgen, St. Wolfgang, Berchtesgaden, Lake Koenigsee and more. Salzburg is a 90 minute train ride from Munich so could be an option for you.

We do not travel with a list of must do's, preferring to figure it out as we go along. We generally get a rail pass which gives us the flexibility to do as we please without making too many plans, though we do reserve seats when we are traveling with luggage. We like to base in an area that has lots of dining and lodging options and branch out from there. Staying is a smaller village or town is not our preference - we prefer small to medium sized cities where we can find lots to do.

There is a sale right now on Saver Passes (2 or more traveling together at all times ) which is offering one free day of travel. Might be worth a look if you are planning to explore beyond where you book your hotels.

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 10:53 AM

I second Denisea with one exception: I couldn't imagine my first trip to Paris with out going up the Eiffel Tower. Tip: If you make a reservation the day before you won't have to wait in that looooong line outside, and I mean long and ridiculous. Sacre Coeur was amazing at night. The church is lit up and romantic and seeing the city spread out in front of you is like no other. One of our favorite memories was riding a bike outside of the palace at Versailles. Honestly, we preferred that (and the row boats) over the actual palace.

We, too stayed in the 6th arrondisement which was very nice.

Take your time to enjoy the crepe stands, enjoy a latte and stroll around while munching on a fresh baguette. Find old churches off the map and walk right in. Have an impromptu picnic and bring a bottle of wine. You'll love it.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 01:18 PM

We thoroughly enjoyed Burghausen, Germany - on the Salzach River. It was a charming non-touristy place that had lots of artisans living there. The town loves art and music and is known for frequent festivals. We happened to be there for an all-night jazz festival that was fabulous. The townspeople were reserved yet very friendly and helpful, even though we did not speak German. Here's a link to 8 photos that might give you a small idea of it: http://tinyurl.com/4dlbkut