Prague and Budapest

Search

Prague and Budapest

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague and Budapest

Just starting to plan a trip for this fall to Prague and Budapest, probable with a short stop in Vienna to break up the train travel. Thinking of 5 nights in Prague, 2 Vienna, and 4 Budapest with possible day trip(s) out of Prague (Cesky Krumlov , Theresienstadt), and Budapest.

Looking at the Ritz Carlton in Budapest, Any thoughts? How is the location?

Thanks--more questions to come I am sure!
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 01:16 PM

I have been to Prague twice. The first trip, I took the train from Prague to Vienna then to Budapest. I had about the same amount of days that you are guessing - one fewer in each of Prague and Budapest, just lack of time.

I visited Cesky Krumlov on my second visit to Prague, when I had a car.

In retrospect, had I had an extra night on that first trip - or maybe just taking one of the nights in Prague - I would have done a stop for one night in Cesky Krumlov instead of trying to do a day trip. The way to do it would be to take a direct bus from Prague to Cesky Krumlov (train requires a connection and stop is further from center of Cesky Krumlov as I understand it, but people do take the train). Then take a shuttle service to Vienna from Cesky Krumlov the next day.

I didn't use this transfer service, but it one popped up in my research:

http://www.ckshuttle.cz/transports/t...lov-to-vienna/
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 01:42 PM

I'd move a day out of Prague itself or Budapest and put it into Vienna if you've never been there - and do a fantastic day trip to and down the Wachau Valley from Vienna:

train to Melk -visit historic abbey

take boat thru the awesomely scenic Wachau Valley to say Durnstein, a cute wine town

then bus to Krens for trains back to Vienna.

Buy an all-inclusive ticket for all things in Vienna at train station.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wach...HVCfDNsQsAQIGQ

For lots on central European trains check www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com. If you want first class hop on any train travel check out the European East Railpass which allows you to just show up at the station and hop most trains in Hungary, Austria, Czech Republic, Poland and Slovakia.

Another easy day trip from Vienna is Bratislava, just about an hour by train -old city center marvelously spruced up.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 01:55 PM

We stayed at the Marriott in Budapest; great location and very nice hotel.

We actually stayed 3 nights in Bratislava with a day trip to Vienna.

4 nights in Prague, then Bratislava and then 5 nights in Budapest.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 08:37 PM
kja

Only 2 nights in Vienna?
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

PalenQ That looks like a great day! Certainly will consider it. I am not that interested in Vienna so we could do one day there and one day doing the Wachau Valley.

At this point we are just trying to figure out hotels.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 06:48 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
benmia, what about Vienna does not interest you? There is much more to Vienna than endless museums and slogs through palaces and "important things" (all of which you will find in Budapest, as well, so you might want to reconsider your visit there, as well). Vienna offers beautiful walks through the vineyards, with lunch or dinner to follow at a cozy heuriger with a beautiful garden; and if you are here in late September, Vienna hosts a grand weekend of wandering the vineyards and sampling the varietals with many paths open that are not ordinarily so.

The Wachau Valley is lovely, though I am not a fan of puttering along the largely-uninteresting Danube on a boat. September in the valley can be stunning for the eyes and one's camera. Consider renting a car for the day: depart Vienna for Melk; tour the Abbey, then meander slowly (stopping for photos of the vineyards bursting with harvest gloriousness is a treat) along the Donau through Durnstein (wicked crowded with boat day-trippers) and to a little Buschenshank or heuriger in St. Michaels. Move along toward Krems and take a walk through the city. Catch the autobahn back to Vienna, and you'll have had a lovely day.

Just my €0,02, as a Vienna resident.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 07:46 AM

I spent only two nights in Vienna, and I did not regret having only two nights. It is a very pleasant city, but I had more interest in Prague and Budapest. However, the day excursions mentioned above do sound interesting, and I would consider returning to explore them on a future trip.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 12:24 PM

I'l taking a river boat cruise from Budapest to Prague at the end so I'll be following along here.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 02:00 PM

If into a little bicycling on one of Europe's primo cycling routes - along the Danube in the Wachau Valley - boats or some have bicycles (I believe) that passengers can use to pedal between docks and catch later boats.

Durnstein to me was the highlight of the Wachau Valley - most end boat ride here and bus to Krens, a large but very pleasant city to end your Wachau Valley day.

Durnstein has the ruined castle where Richard-the-Lion-Hearted was held for ransom after being nabbed en route from or to some Crusade and is just a lovely small wine town.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 04:02 PM
kja

To each his/her own -- I wish I'd had more time in Vienna than the 6 full days I gave it.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

It is not so much that I am uninterested in Vienna, as that I am more interested in Prague and Budapest. Just looking for a short stop in between them so as not to take the one long train trip.
Thanks for all the input.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 05:04 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Then, with all due sincerity, it might be best if you just blow on through Vienna to Budapest. Since Vienna is of no interest, you'll likely make yourself miserable trudging through the, "Must-do" in order to feel like you're getting some return on your travel investment.

You'll wonder why you wasted time looking at palaces and architecture of not interest; the museums will all seem like dreary slogs; the vineyards or activities in the hinterlands don't seem to speak to you; you'll wonder why you felt you "should" eat the Schnitzel and Sacher Torte, only to later express disappointment over spending €25 on a deep fried, flattened chicken/veal/pork nugget and an overpriced dry chocolate cake slice with marillen jam. You'll take photos of the InnerStadt that will have little meaning.

I am being entirely serious. Don't feel obligated to spend time in Vienna if it isn't for you. I have dragged many family members and friends through this death march (by their choosing), only to have them be delighted when I suggest a day outing to the Vienna Woods; to stork-stalk in Burgenland; or to visit the city where the Iron Curtain first fell at the Austrian/Hungarian border. Take an hour or so layover at Hauptbahnhof from Budapest to Prague. Have a Turkish kebab from Türkis; or the halfway respectable sushi from Akakiko; or whatever else strikes your fancy, and then catch the next train onward.
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 09:06 AM

Hi, am planning to travel to Prague and Vienna end September. 4 nights in Prague and 4 in Budapest. We are a couple with a 4 year old toddler. Looking for suggestions on reasonable but good hotels close to old town Prague and preferably by the river. Also for Budapest walking distance to main spots preferably. Appreciate suggestions on things to do with a toddler. I understand these cities are historic and gorgeous and looking forward to exploring them. Also pls suggest best way to get from Prague to Budapest. And best ways to get around within the two places also. Thanks !
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 12:26 PM

Also pls suggest best way to get from Prague to Budapest>

It's a long 7-hour train ride but there is an overnight train that can save daytime travel time and the cost of a night in a hotel. Otherwise I'd fly.
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 03:42 PM

Thank you PalenQ. Great insight as always. I will do either of the two.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 09:31 AM

Hi snootyb

best location in Budapest would be anywhere within the 5th district. Look for hotels in that one. Prices will be higher but you will be in the middle of the city with all the sights and shopping streets.

There are also cheap busses from Prague to Budapest (http://www.studentagencybus.com/en or https://elines.cz/orders/CZErague-HUNudapest for example). Price is ~15-20 Euro/person, it's a ~7-8 hours drive with some stops