Christmas in the UK Solo Style. Murphy's "Who needs him?!" Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This UK trip, originally meant to be a 2 week visit with my boyfriend’s parents – got off to a rocky start when we ended our relationship just 10 days before leaving. So what’s a girl to do? Go anyway of course! I never even considered not going – it was just a matter of with whom (or without whom as it were). Still, 10 days isn’t a great deal of time to pull a trip together. Not particularly familiar with the United Kingdom and it’s bounty of offerings, I wasn’t quite sure where to start. Thankfully, the ever helpful Fodor forum folks sorted me out with a few ideas and possibilities. Beyond that it was just a matter of buying a guide book and hitting the internet to get everything booked and finalized.

After about 72hours of hair pulling, hostel booking and long distance calls to the British National Rail office – I finally had a trip planned. The final verdict?

Fly into Manchester
4 nights in Edinburgh (Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Dec 30+31st)
3 nights in York
5 nights in London (including New Years Eve and Day)
1 night in Manchester

I had a great trip all in all. There are bound to be a few downsides to hostelling and traveling alone over the holidays, but Europe is Europe and I certainly could have done a lot worse.

I will post my pictures from each city as I go through this report. Hope you enjoy and find some helpful info.

Up first: The Flight, The Fog, The Final Destination....
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:26 PM

murphy89

Looking forward to hearing all about your trip and how everything worked out.

Sandy
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Oh I am SO glad that you posted! I can't wait to see how you did and how great it was
<i>Yeah , who needs him!? lol</i>
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you kindly Scarlet and SandyBrit - happy to share this journey with you!

<font color="green">The Flight, The Fog, The Final Destination: Christmas Eve in Edinburgh.</font>

This was to be quite a travel day. A 2.5hour car ride from Edmonton to Calgary, a 9 hour flight, a 30 min bus, a 2 hour train ride, another bus (50min), another train (3hrs) and finally a blessed, appreciated arrival.

I am a lucky son-of-a-gun. Oh yes indeed. After nervously biting my fingernails for 3 days monitoring the unhappy fog situation in London, I was thanking my lucky stars that I was flying into Manchester instead. Still, I worried flights would be gummed up all over the island and I had good reason too. It turns out the fog had also shut down a number of other airports including Edinburgh – my first destination.

My direct flight from Calgary arrived in Manchester only 20min late – 5:00am on Dec 24th. The wall of fog rolling in as we landed was a sign of things to come. After sorting out how to get to Manchester Piccadilly station, I found myself traversing the first leg of my trip to Edinburgh. Thankfully, I had put in the effort to call the National Rail service and book my train ticket to Edinburgh in advance – everything was booked solid due to the many airport woes and of course as natural consequence of it being Christmas Eve day. The trip ended up being a train ride from Manchester to Leeds, a bus from Leeds to York and another train from York to Edinburgh. I managed to arrive at my handy Edinburgh hostel just before dark, so I consider the day a resounding success.

<font color="green">Christmas Eve</font>

The fog was something to behold in Edinburgh - you couldn’t see the castle standing across the street from it. The scene evoked images of Victorian London in a black and white mystery. Though I worried grey mist would be all I would see in Edinburgh during my relatively short stay, it was interestingly atmospheric in its way.

My luck was really on a streak. The fine and friendly people of Edinburgh had a Christmas Fair running full swing on Christmas Eve. Complete with music, food, shopping stands, amusement park rides and a skating rink to boot. It was lovely – haze and all. It lifted my spirits and was a great way to start my trip. 3 chocolate fountain kebobs, 2 rides on a giant swing and 1 picture of a bag pipe playing Santa later, I headed back to my 12 bed mixed dorm. Tired but content, I reflected on my good fortune and knew for sure I had made the right decision in following through with this trip.

An auspicious start to this solo style journey.

Next up: Edinburgh....Be Still Murphy’s Beating Heart.

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Yay! Murphy is back! Can't wait for the whole adventure.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Hurray, you're back! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your report.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Hey, Murphy !!! I remember when you were starting your research for the trip Glad you have come back to tell us !!
Looking forward the next chapter, Edinburgh is sooooooo beautiful
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 02:07 PM
kdappleton

I remember you also. Am so very happy you made the trip. Look forward to more of your report.

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 02:40 PM

You go girl! Looking forward to reading more.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 02:45 PM

What a great start! I hope the story about the bagpipe playing Santa ( in kilt?) has photos ~
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 03:09 PM

murphy, once again you are my hero(ine)! I love the title of your trip report and look forward to more of murhpy's adventures!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 03:17 PM

loved your last report can't wait for the rest!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I was just thinking about your trip the other day - not quite sure what triggered it but I was wondering how things worked out. So glad you are posting your report - Edinburgh is just about my fav city anywhere so really looking forward to the rest . . . .
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi Guys! Thanks everyone for the feedback – its great to see some familiar faces...names out there.

<font color="green">Edinburgh</font>

Having planned this trip on the fly I wasn’t all that sure what to expect from Edinburgh. In general, the UK wasn’t high on my must-see list – in large part because I’d dismissed it off-hand due to the exchange rate. I didn’t know anything about Edinburgh....there’s a castle right? I’m just being honest – such is the truth.

My thoughts on Edinburgh in summary? The best place ever. I just loved it. I loved all of its chilly, foggy nooks and crannies. This is my kind of city. Stunning architecture, amazing history and a stunning 240 hectare park right at the end of the Royal Mile. Great, great place. I spent my entire visit wondering if I could convince the Scottish Government to let me stay. At any rate, I’ll run you through my visit.

<font color="green">Edinburgh Pictures Part I:</font>

http://murphypictures.myphotoalbum.c...umName=album18

Sorry Scarlet – that santa is not in here....I think I took him out cause it wasn’t a great shot - I’ll have to take another look at him though.

<font color="green"> Christmas Day: Edinburgh</font>

I got a relatively early start my first morning in Edinburgh. Considering everything was closed, my plan for the day was to head out and indulge in my love of photography. A photo hunt if you will. I had a new digital camera to figure out and this seemed an opportune time. With this in mind, I was ever so pleased to discover that though the day was grey and chilled, the fog had lifted. I had a great view of the Prince Street Gardens from my 3rd floor hostel dorm – but also a great view of my Dutch roomies ratty grey undies, so I high tailed it out of there and hit the pavement.

The streets were surreal in their empty silence. I felt the city was mine for the taking. Wandering aimlessly up to Calton hill I detoured into an old cemetery straight out of a movie – ancient moss covered celtic crosses that seemed to almost glow against the hazy sky. It quickly became evident though, that I sorely misunderstood the weather when I packed for this trip. Considering it was minus 30 degrees in Canada when I left, you’d think temperatures hovering around 0 would seem a great relief. Not so I’m afraid. My mid weight fleece, hoodie, long sleeve shirt, t-shirt and undershirt (hat, scarf, gloves et all) seemed powerless against the damp and I found the day bitterly cold. None-the-less, I enjoyed Calton hill, its scattering of monuments and its beautiful views of the city.

After making a quick pit stop at my hostel to add on yet another layer of clothing, I headed up to the Royal Mile to poke around. Just a beautiful street – truly Edinburgh was the perfect choice for Christmas Day - plenty of great walks and scenery to enjoy. I was actually grateful that nothing was open to distract me from the city itself. The Royal Mile is not to be missed. I didn’t even bring a map with me – just let my curiosity guide me. Eventually, I found myself down by the Hollyrood Palace gapping at a stunning and unexpected expanse of wilderness. Hardly the tidy groomed garden I envisioned when I heard of Hollyrood Park. This 240 hectare reserve is a joy – from its dormant volcano to its craggy, highland hills – I was in my element and spent the rest of the day hiking, exploring and smiling ear to ear.

Alas, all good things must come to an end. Both the dark and the fog forced me out of the park and back to urban wandering. Here Christmas day gets a touch tricky for me. Nothing is open. I am cold (very cold). I am hungry – I have nowhere to eat and now that I am walked out for the day, I’ve got nothing to do. Truthfully, there was a Christmas party at the hostel that could have partaken in for 25Pounds – complete with turkey dinner. Aside from believing on some level that I shouldn’t be alone on Christmas day though, there wasn’t anything that particularly drew me to it. I don’t eat turkey, I don’t drink and I felt decidedly anti-social on this trip - I wasn’t looking for company. Still, it was tempting. I was really cold and not sure how to best solve the problem. Indecision can be a trying thing. My final solution was less then idyllic - I ended up eating take out curry on a cold park bench. Layered in half of the contents from my suitcase and nibbling bread out of an aluminum foil bundle, I imagine I looked more than a little bit like a homeless women. I even managed to dribble some curry down my front. Perhaps not my finest hour. The funny part was a street person approached me and asked me to give him some money. I though to myself, mister, if I had money I’d be at a decent hotel right now, lounging around in a terry cloth robe ordering room service, not decked out on this park bench. Still, I could have at least given him my bread. So much for the Christmas spirit - like I said, not my finest hour.

Such was my Christmas in Edinburgh. All in all it was a great day, though rounding it out wasn’t so fun. I slinked back into the hostel past the bar where others were celebrating together and headed for my dorm room, hoping Mr. grey undies was downstairs with the rest. I appreciated that my room boasted an ensuite shower and lingered in its blessed hot water until my skin was red and warm. Ear plugs in place I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow and snoozed the night away.

Up next More Edinburgh.....
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 08:48 PM

Yay! I'm so glad you had a good time! I was one of those who voted you head to Italy, but it sounds like you had a great time. Can't wait to hear more...
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 05:25 AM

Murphy, this is like picking up your favourite author's newest book.

You capture the mood so perfectly. Great photos, too.

Anselm
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 06:54 AM

Murphy, you are a delight. More, more, more!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 07:09 AM

Awesome, just an awesome report. Pix are great! Please continue
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 07:18 AM

Keep this up and you will be staying in that expensive hotel, gratis as a travel writer....
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 07:32 AM

What a wonderful way with word you have...you made me feel like I was right there on that bench with the curry in the cold. So glad you confirmed within yourself the decision to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -