Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Chez Maitre Paul vs. Le Bistrot d'a Cote (St. Germain location) for Paris Sunday dinner?

Search

Chez Maitre Paul vs. Le Bistrot d'a Cote (St. Germain location) for Paris Sunday dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:53 PM
SFDink

I'll be arriving in Paris Sunday afternoon and am looking for a place for my first meal in Paris (ever). Doing some research I've narrowed it down to these two. I was leaning towards Chez Maitre Paul until I came across this PW article: http://www.iht.com/IHT/DINE/pw061600a.html (can't figure out the date on it though)

Has anyone eaten at CMP recently and can comment? Another place I was thinking about is Fish La Boissonnerie but then I saw Zagat had listed "Teen Appeal" as one of its features. Anyone know what this means? I have nothing against kids but my husband and I have deemed this vacation our "farewell to freedom" trip as we are looking to start a family next year. So I'm looking for a more romantic or lively, grownup atmosphere. Any suggestions?

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I followed other links on the article you cited in the International Herald Tribune, and it appears the article is from January, 2000. That would also explain the reference to prices in francs.

I ate at Chez Maitre Paul at around that same time, and while I found it pleasant and enjoyable, I didn't have the raves I have heard from some others.

If you search for other threads on Chez Maitre Paul, you will find a very entertaining one on HowardR's favorite dish there.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh. Nikki, I guess I'll never live that one down!
Anyway, to the question at hand, I can only speak for Chez Maitre Paul and its wonderful free-range chicken (Nikki, I got it right this time). Our dining experience occurred May 2002.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:10 PM
ita

we ate at Chez Maitre Paul this past April and didn't find it out of the ordinary. We chose it because it was listed somewhere as no smoking (perhaps on this site). It is certainly not, as the people at the table next to us were smoking cigars and the maitre d' confirmed that there is smoking allowed. If by le Bistrot d'a Cote you are referring to Bistrot Cote de Mer (sea food) on Blvd. Ste Germaine near rue Cardinal Lemoine it is the best place I have ever eaten in Paris-cost about $100 FOR 2
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 06:26 PM

I had a wonderful lunch at Chez Maitre Paul the year before last. No cuurent info, however.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:00 PM

My husband and I had a most enjoyable late lunch there about 8 weeks ago. The food was good, and the service was very attentive (but then we and another table were the only clients).

Was I disappointed? No. Was I absolutely bedazzled? No. We probably would try a different restaurant the next time in our quest for that "great" place.

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:06 PM

Interesting. Chez Maitre Paul is a place I've had written down for several years but never tried. This summer, made a point of heading there one day. At about 1 PM went by, thinking we'd have lunch. But a peek through the windows showed us there wasn't a single person in the place. We thought about it and decided to pass. Hard to imagine a truly great restaurant where not a single local or tourist goes at 1 PM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 11:51 PM

I ate at Fish on a Sunday night last November, and it was quite good. They offer about 6 wines by the glass as they are also a wine bar. As for the food, I had a crispy risotto "cake" with shrimp and chorizo which was tasty and very filling. While I wouldn't call the atmosphere romantic, I (thankfully) didn't see any teens around at the time.

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:57 AM
SFDink

Le Bistrot d'a Cote is located on 16, bd St. Germain. It's one of Michael Rostang's baby bistro (there 4 locations around town) and the one at St. Germain is suppose to specialize in seafood. Patricia Wells gave it a good review but I haven't seen much other information on it. While I'm not expecting my Sunday dinner to be the highlight dinner of my trip (I'll probably be jetlagged anyway) I would like a solid dinner to start off the vacation.

BTW, some other restaurants I was thinking about for the rest of the week are L'Epi Dupin, L'Astrance, Bellecour, Au Bascou, and lunch at Taillevent. Any of these I should nix from the list?

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 10:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
According to Zagat, Bistrot d'a Cote is in the 17th, while Bistrot Cote Mer is at 16, bd St. Germain, and both are Michel Rostang's bistros, although his daughter revamped the Bistrot Cote Mer. It seems that SFDink and Ita are talking about the same place, and it sounds great.

I loved Au Bascou when I ate there with my family in February. Enjoy.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 12:59 PM

Can't comment on Le Bistrot d'a Cote. However, my wife and I had dinner at Chez Maitre Paul in July of this year, and were pleased with the portions, service and food. Certainly not the best meal we've ever had, but certainly very good value for the price.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 11:43 AM

We would find ourselves in the company of those who find Chex Maitre Paul no more than satisfactory. It is open on Sunday, tho. We would not think of visiting Paris and not eating at Le Bellecour, Rue Surcouf on the edge of the 7th. Now they are open for lunch and it is a killer deal.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 02:38 PM
jmv

I can't speak to the third choice but I've eat at CMP twice and at Fishe once.Both were excellent. The chicken dishes at CMP are the big draw and well deserved. Try the one with melted cheese. Terrific. I can see why Fish would appeal to teens. It's funky, has wooden picnic like tables where people share if necesary, and is generally a good timel. The food is also good, very good.