Trip Report Part 2-York and Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Day 6 cont-We departed London for York on the 2:30 train from Kings Cross on GNER. The trip was an uneventful 2 hours. Taxi for the short trip to Chelmsford Place Guest House, a terrific BandB we had found on Smoothhound. For 22 GBP per night each we had a nicely decorated, comfortable triple with a very small en suite bath. The BandB is located 7 minutes from the tourist area, a beautiful walk by the river. After checking in, Nigel Armitage gave the rapid fire York details and carried our bags to our room for us.

We walked by the river to the tourist section of York and had a great dinner at Gert and Henry's. I had the mussels for 5.95 GBP. There were at least 3 dozen fresh steamed mussels served with chips (fries). Mom enjoyed her tradition roast beef and yorkshire pudding and sis had a beef and mushroom pie. I can vouch for the gin and tonic and it was here I made the greatest discovery of the entire trip-treacle pudding. Walked a bit more before collapsing at the B and B from the frantic London segment of our trip.

Day 7-this was our only sunny day and we took full advantage of it. We were out early to explore after a great breakfast. We intended to take the 10:30 am volunteer led York walking tour that was highly recommended by this forum. There were about 30 of us waiting for the guide who never showed. After waiting 40 minutes, we proceeded to the York Minster and had a fascinating tour of this gothic cathedral. What a place. Ambled down the Shambles before having a delightful lunch at Betty's Tea Room. We intended to have tea but got distracted by the terrific menu. Toured the Your Museum and gardens and the fabulous ruins that were St. Mary's Abbey. By this time it was too late to see York Castle Museum and Cliffords tower but we walked by them anyway. Dinner was at Cafe Masala 1 block from B and B for Indian food, then collapsed.

Day 8-Up early for train to Edinburgh. Virgin trains has a window gazers guide for loan in the coffee car. Very informative guide to all you are passing. Wish we had checked with GNER for our London to York leg. Taxi to 16 Lynedoch Place. Can't say enough good stuff about this B and B. We were on the last day of our British Heritage Passes so we hustled to Edinburgh Castle, a short 5 GBP taxi ride. Took audio tour of this forbidding place, lunch in their cafe, good food, sloppy service. A change from The Orangery although the same service runs both. After that we hustled down the Royal Mile without stopping to Holyroodhouse Palace. We made it just in time for the last tour (audio) and really liked this Palace, which the Queen still stays in during her annual visit to Edinburgh. Taxi back to B and B and had dinner at the French Corner Bistro on Queensway Rd. Highly recommend this Bistro. Back to B and B for an early night.

Day 9- Pouring rain and cold. This was our day to shop along the Royal Mile and catch a museum or 2. We ended up on the Guide Friday hop on/off bus. There guide was interesting and funny. We took the entire loop and stayed on til we reached the Castle. Hopped off and shopped along th Royal Mile. Lunch in the bar at Deacon Brodies was fun and filling for a cold wet day. Walked all the way back to Holyroodhouse Palace then caught the last Guide Friday bus back to the starting point, within walking distance of our hotel. Stopped in Jenners for some tea cakes and ended up skipping dinner. My sister and I wanted to send some email so we went to Rose street for an internet cafe. Upon leaving Rose Street my street smart sister noticed we were being followed by a man. My sis may be only 5'1" soaking wet, but she has a brown belt in karate and we both grew up in downtown Detroit, so we were unfazed. We lost him after a few turns and stared him down til he left.

Day 10-We had made reservations with Rabbies Trailburners for the Stirling Castle/Loch Lomond tour. Pouring rain again, we toured Stirling Castle in the rain. At our designated departure time the van wouldn't start so Donny the guide shepherded us all to the local pub for a coffe/tea/whatever. Within 20 minutes the van was working again. We proceeded to the town of Aberfoyle for lunch and replacement van. Arrived at Loch Lomond, still raining heavily, but hiked in anyway. The rain stopped, the fog cleared and the rest of the day was beautiful. What wonderful scenery.

Arrived back around 6:30 and had dinner at Cafe Antipasti. We wanted to take pictures of Edinburgh Castle lit up at night, so after dinner we did that.Sister decided it would be fun to take mom down Rose street. This time we picked up not 1 but 2 tails. THey may have been working together. This time my clever sister turned around and faced them with her camera and took their picturs! THey really hightailed it out of there. I would avoid Rose street on any return trip to Edinburgh.

Day 11-up early for flight to London to connect home. Mom and sis had to take the bus from Heathrow to Gatwick, but the service was spot on. They had 4 hours to connect and did it in 1 1/2 hours. I had a long 5 hour layover, so looked in the shops and ate at the pub before the long trip home.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Ani

Great report! We were in Scotland a year ago...also stayed at and LOVED 16 Lynedoch. Curious to know where you ate in Aberfoyle (we stayed there for 2 nights)...
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:20 PM

Sorry for your Rose Street troubles. I have been to Edinburgh several times and never ran into trouble there. I lover the banoffe pie at the Bad Ass Cafe on Rose Street!
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Ani-I don't remember the name of the place but it was a touristy cafeteria with a large gift shop. The food was actually pretty good. After the bus broke down we had only 40 minutes to eat and get back on the bus, so it seemed the only quick place. Too bad, there looked like a nice selection of neat cafe's.

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:38 PM

Lynne

Thank you for the report. I have never heard of this in Rose Street, or anywhere else in Edinburgh, for that matter. I think it is very serious and would ask that you and your sister consider reporting it to the police if you haven't already done so.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 01:25 PM

Betty's Tearoom in York-Yumm--wonderful memories. And I am lucky enough to have a friend in England who sends me goodies from Betty's every Christmas!

About being followed by a man on Rose Street in Edinburgh, we had a similar incident when we were there--2 creepy looking guys. So we went into a shop and when we came out, they were begin questioned by police!