Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Charming but affordable restaurant recommendations in Provence and the Cote A'zur?

Search

Charming but affordable restaurant recommendations in Provence and the Cote A'zur?

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2006, 05:05 PM
JES
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'd like to eat on a beautiful terrace, in a centuries old farmhouse, in the gardens,or anywhere of the likes without spending a fortune. Are there places like this anyone can recommend with an a la carte menu reasonably priced? I'm looking for little hidden treasures...
Thank you for any recommendations!
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:36 PM

Not exactly hidden, but Le Feu Follet in (old) Mougins is a long-time favorite of ours. Prices are moderate for these times.

The only place I know of that would have the kind of charm you want isn't in the affordable range and has only a set menu for lunch and dinner. Just in case you want to gie it a go, its called La Table de Mon Moulin and is outside the town of Le Rouret on the road to Nice. The setting is on a terrace outside an old olive mill, with the stream running past. Absolutely charming, and the food is terrific. Reservations only.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Mas de Tourteron in Les Imberts, a hamlet outside of Gordes run by one of the best women chefs in provence, ElizebethBourgeois. Th dining terrace is charming.
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:24 AM

The Oustau de Baumaniere in Les Baux has all of the requirements you listed, plus 2 Michelin stars. It depends what you call 'a fortune'. I thought it was worth the going rate.
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:49 AM

La Jarre in Antibes may be just what you're looking for:

www.guidegantie.com/en/restaurants/

click English

search "La Jarre"

You get a 360 degree view of the terrace. How perfect does it look?
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:50 AM

I don't believe that the Oustau de la Baumanière meets any of his criteria, aside from the setting. I went by to pick up friends who were staying there last week and noticed one item on the dinner menu... a small rack of lamb priced at 135€.

Here are a couple that you might enjoy:

Outside of St. Remy in the direction of Noves:

La Maison (Domaine de Bournissac)
New restaurant and country inn (about two years old) - in a lovely old mas. Excellent cuisine. Terrace shaded by a fig tree. Menus at around 40 euro
Closed Monday and Tuesday noon
tel: 04 90 90 25 25

Les Baux de Provence

* Riboto de Taven
In the Val d'Enfer, just below the village of Les Baux. An excellent Michelin one star restaurant for thirty-five years, they've turned in their star and are no longer serving a varied menu. They've become a country inn and serve a dinner with a set menu . Call in advance to see what they're serving - and if they have room. The menu changes with the seasons, but always includes regional dishes. Beautiful garden and terrace with a view of the village of Les Baux. Dining on the terrace in the summer months, otherwise indoors in what was once the bergerie (sheepfold).
Dress - Dressy casual, although no ties required for men.
Tel: 04 90 54 34 23
Menu is usually around 45 euro

Maussane/le Paradou
* Bistrot de La Petite France

Former Michelin one star restaurant, just outside Maussane near Le Paradou in a renovated farmhouse. They "turned in" their star and changed the style of the restaurant to a less formal bistro. Excellent food, good service. Dining on the terrace in fine weather. One of the best wine lists in France (the chef's father is the owner of the largest wine distributor in the south of France)
Casual. Reservations recommended Closed Wednesday and Thursday
55, avenue de la Vallee des Baux Tel: 04 90 54 41 91
Menu - 25 euro
Eygalières
Sous les Micocouliers
Situated off the main road, this restaurant always has an interesting daily menu.
Lovely large terrace under the trees, it's great in the summer months.
Closed Tuesday all day and Wednesday at lunchtime.
Tel: 04 90 95 94 53

Between Avignon and Carpentras:

Le Saule Pleureur

Open since the beginning of December, 2005, this restaurant is worth a visit if you’re in the area. Laurent Azoulay trained in some of the best restaurants in France, including Pierre Gagnaire , Jean-Marc Banzo and Jaques Chibois. The menus are reasonably priced and the cuisine is very inventive. He’s still finding his way and some of the presentations are a bit over the top, but the food is wonderful.
Menus at 39 €, 59 € and à la carte

145, chemin de Beauregard
Monteux
tel: 04 90 62 01 35
www.le-saule-pleureur.com

UZES

Les Fontaines
Charming small restaurant in the center of town. Tiny indoor patio area among the ruined walls. Good eclectic mix of food... sometimes a Moroccan tahjine, sometimes provençal.
6, rue Entre les Tours Tel: 04 66 22 41 20
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:56 AM

PB,

We've been trying to find the days that Les Fontaines is open but not been successful..do you know the schedule and do you think we need reservations in late fall?? Thank you!
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:01 AM
JES
Original Poster

Guy--that is perfection--thank you!!

Patricia, I just emailed you asking the same thing. Thanks so much--I can't wait to check these out. You have been so helpful.

And thanks everyone else--I will check all of these out.

135 for a rack of lamb--that's insane!
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:13 AM

traviata...

Les Fontaines is closed all day Monday and Tuesday -lunch. (I just called and this is according to their answering machine message)

Late Fall ? for lunch I'd say yes, to be on the safe side.

Patricia

Old May 18th, 2006, 05:14 AM

Patricia,

Thank you, thank you!!
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:28 AM

I like La Jarre, on the old wall of Antibes. The terrace shown on that picture is in a courtyard; no view.

On that same website they mention Le Cesar, which we have been to often. Fantastic for lunch on the beach, but quite expensive. The beach next to that (with the green parasols) is cheaper and has the same view. Combine lunch here with a walk along the Cap d'Antibes path.

In Mougins the terrace of les Muscadins has great views; they serve pizza, so quite reasonable price!
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:44 AM
JES
Original Poster

Thanks Tulip--that sounds like a great plan. Is Mougin a town we shouldn't miss anyway (other than for eating)?
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:54 AM

JES,

I'm not Tulip but I recommend Mougins...we loved it and will return this fall...very small and charming with winding little alleys and streets...many art galleries and as Underhill said, Feu Follet for dining...a wonderful day!
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:58 AM
JES
Original Poster

Thank you Traviata--it sounds like a must!
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:03 PM

Thanks for all the recs dear people..esp Patricia:I always read your posts with great enthusiasm..you are my "auto" read here. Will be in wonderful Provence this Sept...I am sooo thrilled!
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Judyrem,

Why thank you !

I've actually just posted a report on the restaurant Le Saule Pleureur on the Francophile Forum in case anyone is interested in reading about it...

http://forums.delphiforums.com/pbprovence
Patricia
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:44 PM

On the Cote D'Azur we stayed at Les Deux Freres in Roquebrune. They have an amazing view down the coast to Monaco and beyond as well as dining on the terrace. The food was excellent and reasonably price when we were there in March. http://www.lesdeuxfreres.com/ On the second page there is a photo (on the bottom right of four photos) which was the view from our room.
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:40 PM
JES
Original Poster

AGM, that looks amazing. Do you remember if reservations are needed? And would you recommend it for lunch or dinner? (Do you have a view at dinner since everyone eats so late?)
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:30 PM

JES, Mougins is a very nice hilltop village, and so close to Vallauris (where I thought you were staying). Dont arrive there too late for dinner; parking gets difficult.
And in June it stays light very late, so you will have a good view.
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:47 AM

JES- We were there in March so reservations weren't needed then. You don't say when you are going but reservations in the high season are probably a wise idea. Let us know what you find since we are already planning a return trip for next March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -