Florence in one day

Search

Florence in one day

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence in one day

I will be in the Tuscany region for a week and would like to do a few day trips. I have been told it is easy to see most of Siena in a day but I fear one day in Florence will not be enough. Thoughts? Recommendations? The villa I will be staying in is in Radda in Chianti.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 08:22 AM

I guess you mean Florence "for" one day.

Get a guidebook and pick what you most want to see and see it.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 08:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree. You can also do some easy research on line. I would pick a couple of things that interest you the MOST and more or less stick to those.

In Siena, for me, the very obvious choice would be the Duomo; ditto Florence and perhaps ONE museum (to be done in a day).
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 09:46 AM

One day will not be enough. I had four MONTHS in Florence and did not see everything.
If you really have just one day to play with, pick one museum and a few other sights of your choice, and focus on those. It is impossible to cover a city of that much history, heritage and wealth in one short visit.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 09:52 AM

Assuming you're an art lover, you might want to skip museums altogether and focus on the great art found in some of the churches of Florence. That way, you'll get to walk around the city and not spend too much time indoors.

If you're not much of an art lover, you can "see" a good deal of Florence in one day. The center is compact, and easily walkable.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 10:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure about skipping all museums; for example you might like to go up to the piazza san marco when you arrive and see the beautiful works of Fra angelico in the monastery [only open mornings]

http://www.museumsinflorence.com/mus...san_marco.html

then walk down to the Duomo and have a look [you could go via the Accademia in the other corner of the piazza to see if by some chance there's no queue to see David] and then visit the Bargello.

then head east and have lunch at the cafe in the san ambroglio market, followed by Santa Croce. hop over into Oltrarno and walk up to San Miniato, then walk back down through the rose garden and wander back to the station [if that's the way you got to Florence] via Santa Maria Novella.

of course, there are lots of other things to see in Florence which you could visit during your day, but this is quite similar to a day I did a few years ago so i know that it's achievable.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you annhig! I appreicate the recs
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 11:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
This is the official museums website for Florence (not just the Uffizi).

http://uffizi.firenze.it/en/musei/tutti.php

The Florence Tourist Board has suggestions for a short visit.

http://www.firenzeturismo.it/en/in-2...-24-hours.html
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 11:52 AM

loath though i am to contradict the Florence Tourist Board, I suspect that their idea is more what they think you ought to want to see, not what you could easily see in a day that you might like to see but you might not know about!

The Uffizi and the Pitti Palace plus the Boboli would take most of the day after the Duomo - IMO it's much better on a day trip to see places where you won't have to queue and give you more of an over-view of the city.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 12:13 PM

You haven't said anything about your interests but I do see that you're only spending 2 nights in Rome (which is 1 day or 1.5 days at the most) so I suspect that 1 day in Florence will be enough for you.

Walk around the Centro Storico, go into the Duomo, take a good look at the Baptistry doors, go to Piazzale Michelango for wonderful views of Florence.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Adrienne, I have been to Rome before so that is the reason for the short stay this time around. Thank you for your suggestions I appreciate it
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 01:02 PM

of course one day is WAY too little time, having said this it depends a great deal of what to you like,I would walk as much as possible in the heart of the old City which is rather small but has a ton of things,enjoy the Piazza Vecchia , the Loggia, , St María dei Fiori ,that is the main church, its plaza, batisterio etc
Have a nice meal if time is too short I would choose a really nice authentic café, have a few drinks
Possible their special, all cafés have one, a couple of nice little things to eat, and then keep walking.
above all I would do my homework and read a lot before going. a basic knowledge seems a must to enjoy a new town , and since you will be there for a short time it seems to me you'll really need it.
At a certain point I would stop in another cafe and have a cappuccino at the bar. good luck
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 01:14 PM

In 8 trips to Florence, we have spent well over a month in the city so, of course, I would say 1 day is not nearly enough. But, if you have only one day, make the best of it. Do a lot of research before you go so you will know what you most want to see. I agree that San Marco, the Accademia and the Duomo are top sights. With such a brief visit, I would avoid the Uffizi which is large and crowded and often slow going.

Make the best of your visit and you will surely want to return.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 01:57 PM

don't forget to have some gelato, but don't have it in the areas where there are most tourists without checking the prices - when I was there I saw 2 scoops for €5 whereas the little place I found had 2 scoops for €1.5. Caveat emptor!
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 02:08 PM

You can 'see' Florence in one day - that is the historic city centre as it is compact - but if you want to visit its laundry list of 'must' sights then a few days would be needed.

If not into the overwhelming plethora of old churches and famous museums with old Florence Masters you can see this wonderful town center - bridges included in a day and yes you will have seen Florence just not tasted its many delicious churches and museums.

Go for it - if only a day do it!
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 04:55 PM

I've posted this itinerary before, but here's how some friends and I enjoyed a one-day visit to Florence from Rome:

On a quick 5-day trip to Rome with Italy novices, I took them on a day trip to Florence. It was one of their favorite days. These friends appreciate art, but don't know much about it, nor did they express any special interests in particular sights. I planned the day this way for our group of 5 adults.

We arrived by train in Florence by about 10:30AM.

From the station, we took the #12 bus to Piazzale Michelangelo. Therefore, our group's first real view of Florence was from this famous scenic overlook. Loads of photo opportunities, ooohs and aaahs. (If our group had been smaller, I would have opted for a taxi. Even so, a taxi might have been a good idea, since the bus skirts the center of the city and took 30 minutes to reach the piazzale.) Having just spent 3 days in the city of Rome, the group also appreciated the views of the green hills and houses on the hillside nearby and the different style of architecture than that of Modern and Baroque Rome.

From there we went into the city, walking down the steep Via di San Salvatore al Monte, a pedestrian-only walk past green gardens. We entered the city at Porta San Niccolo just as the church bells were ringing noon, the fragrance of delicious lunches in the air. We followed the Via San Niccolo through quiet streets (One friend commented that she finally felt like she was in Italy.) to Via Bardi, eventually turning onto the busy Ponte Vecchio, decorated for Christmas.

From there we walked through town past Piazza della Signoria all the way to the Duomo, which took my friends totally by surprise. This seemed a good moment to stop for lunch, so we had a lovely lunch at Osteria Belle Donne.

After lunch we strolled back through Piazza della Repubblica and then visited the Duomo and the Baptistery. My friends really enjoyed the mosaics inside the Baptistery, spending a lot of time sitting and interpreting the stories depicted. I'm sure we stopped for coffee once or twice during the day since this group became quick converts to the Italian system of coffee—a quick shot at the bar and then on your way.

Then we went to the San Lorenzo markets, splitting off into smaller groups to explore the wares and setting a meeting place and time. I knew my friends would enjoy this market, especially since there is no equivalent in Rome. At the meeting time, 3 were content with their shopping while 2 were still looking for leather jackets, so I indicated a nearby coffee bar where we 3 would wait while they finished. We sat for at least an hour, enjoying our thick hot chocolates and watching the buzz of the busy bar.

With the group together again, it was just after 5 PM, so I thought it couldn't hurt to see how the line was at the Accademia. There was no line (late November), so we walked right in and had David to ourselves and about 20 other people. Quite magical.

We shopped a little more and then had dinner at Trattoria Za-Za. Our return train to Rome left at 9 PM. They loved this day, which was balanced with a short "hike", beautiful scenery, historic sights, a touch of art museum, shopping, relaxing in a cafe, and two good meals.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 03:50 AM

From the station, we took the #12 bus to Piazzale Michelangelo.>

Now you can hop the newish tram.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 09:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>>Now you can hop the newish tram.<<<<

There is a new tram to Piazzale Michelangelo? I'm only aware of one tram and that isn't where it goes. Do you have a link (as it's not listed on the transport website)?
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 10:03 AM

On a very short visit, I wouldn't recommend going into the Duomo. There are often very long queues, and the inside is a bit of a letdown after you've seen the outside. There are many other churches whose insides are much more worth visiting. Santa Maria Novella, for example, right near the train station (which takes its name from the church) is absolutely beautiful, never has a queue, and has a number of major works of art inside, including the beautiful Tornabuoni Chapel. It also has a lovely cloister.

I think St. Mark, mentioned by Annhig is another great place for a short time in Rome. I tend to think of this as a church, although it's technically a museum. In either case, it's exactly the kind of place that can be seen without investing a great amount of time.

One of my favorite museums in Florence is the Opera del Duomo, the museum of the Duomo. I think it's closed for restoration and expansion right now, or at least partially closed. However, it has many impressive works of art that were once in the Duomo, such as Donatelli's Magdalena. This is also easily visited in a short time, and never has a queue.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 11:34 AM

Ellenem, I think your itinerary is the perfect introduction to Florence and encompasses a truly well thought out one-day tour that hits upon each site at the correct times. Also, Trattoria Za Za is a great choice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -