How to organize a Florence/Cinque Terre/ Venice Trip in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planing a trip to Florence, Venice, and Cinque Terre this October. I live in Maine and am stuck in figuring out what airport to fly into and what order to arrange my trip. I'd prefer direct flights from the US if possible. I have reservations only for my accommodations in Florence, which will be last. Are open jaw flights a lot more expensive than a round trip out of the same airport? Should I fly into Venice, then take a train to Cinque Terre, then on to Florence? Does it make more sense to fly in and out of Pisa and start with Cinque Terre. It feels like a puzzle I can't put together. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 08:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Direct flight does not mean the same as non-stop, but I'm assuming you mean non-stop? Rome and Milan have non-stop flights from the US. Most other cities will require a change in Europe although there are some seasonal (typically not October) flights such as JFK/Pisa.

Is price a factor? Most of these smaller airports will cost more. An open jaw (use the multi city function, not two one ways) should charge half the round trip price to each city you select added together.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 09:13 PM

You will save 2-3 hours by not going from Venice to CT, as this trip takes 5-6 hours by train. The best way to do it is put Florence inbetween them, as trains from CT to Florence are 2.5 hours, and you can take a fast train between Florence and Venice in 2 hours.

As for CT flights, you should look at flying into or out of Genoa or Pisa. I do not recommend flying out of Venice at an early hour, which is often the only option for USA flights, so your best bet is probably Venice to Florence to CT to the airport in Pisa or Genoa. You can also look at Milan for possibly cheaper flights but it's another hour on the train. Best of luck.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 09:46 PM

I think you get stuck because you are building each piece separately. For this kind of multiple destination trip, trying to optimize the flight by itself will haunt you later when you try to put everything together.

Rather than trying to put together one "perfect" itinerary, which would get you frustrated, quickly put together several different itineraries and compare the total costs and what each itinerary can accomplish.

Many come to this forum after booking a "cheap" round trip flight only to find out that they have to spend time and expense, often more than what they thought they saved, to match the flight and the ground itinerary.

You don't need to wait for someone to tell you choices between direct flight vs. layover, or round trip vs. open-jaw. You can play with flight booking engines to your heart content and find out the travel time, layover time, departure time, arrival time, cost, different arrival airports, different departure airports, etc.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 10:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ideally? fly into Venice, train to Florence, train to CT, fly out of Pisa.

how long do you have for your trip?
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

We're going for two weeks. I've made it difficult, perhaps, by already booking our apartment in Florence at the end of the trip. I had my heart set on staying in this romantic studio in the Oltrarno and had no other choice of booking time. It was the one thing I knew I wanted to do so I went for it. I could take a train to Pisa the morning of departure and fly out from there, or fly out of Florence. Will the weather in october be a factor for cinque terre? Should I start there to optimize the chance of warmer weather?
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 07:19 AM

I am planning a trip to Italy for October 2012. I am wanting to visit Cinque Terre, Florence and Tuscany. I am planning to fly into Pisa; take a train to Cinque Terre (this is where I want to begin the trip); then I will take a train back to Pisa or Florence to pick up a rental car so that I can explore Tuscan hilltowns for about 5 days; then I want to end with 3 days in Florence.

I think you should fly into Pisa and take a train to CT; then put Venice in the middle and end the trip in Florence which is how you have your booking.

I am curious: can you tell me the apartment you rented in Florence? I would really like to take a look at it for possible booking.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 09:15 AM

aha, isabelle, I think that louis's idea is the best one - you give yourself the best chance of good weather on the CT.

nice idea to stay in Oltrano. on my recent visit to florence i drawn back there every day [and i was only there 3 nights!] clickon my screen name if you want to read about what I did - the florence part is at the end.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 10:01 AM

Since you need to put Florence at the end, choosing between Venice or CT as your first stop - I'd try and hit the CT on weekdays if possible, and/or as your first stop since it is likely to get colder as October progresses. Venice is always crowded and weather doesn't matter as much.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 10:04 AM

...and if you are interested in the Rialto markets in Venice, these are best Tuesday through Saturday.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

I think it's starting to take shape, with all your help. I think I'll fly into Pisa, take a train to Cinque Terre for ?3-4 nights, and then drive or take the train to Venice. Probably a train back to Florence. If I can get to Pisa in time for a late morning/afternoon flight home, then I could book a regular round trip and perhaps save some money. I might just have to fly out of Florence.
To annhig: I'm going to check your trip report now.
To Louistraveler5: Our studio apartment is called The Anna, booked through Italy Perfect. I'd been thinking about it for about a year now. It looks just right for my husband and me.

If anyone has ideas for places to stay in CT or Venice, I'd love to hear them. Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 09:02 AM

it's 60 mins from florence to Pisa aeroporto if you get a direct train, perhaps 15 mins longer if you don't. [change at pisa centrale].

i easily managed to catch an 11am flight out of Pisa, catching the 8.03 train to Pisa out of Florence, but I could still have done it with the 8.30.
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 10:52 AM
JBX

As you're leaning towards starting your trip with the Cinque Terre ... (a good idea for weather issues), then you have several options on which airport to fly into. Should Florence or Pisa not work out, consider Genoa, which would allow you to easily get to CT via train. Of course, if cost is an issue, then Milan would be a better entry point.

Also .... though Rome is not on your current itinerary, you could make an adjustment to fly out from there. You'd likely need to spend a night in Rome prior to departure. Fast trains between Florence-Rome are 90 minutes, and then from Rome's main station (Termini), it takes another 35 minutes to the airport.
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:07 PM

Am also trying to plan a trip to CT, Florence and Venice. My husband will no longer drive in Italy after our last trip to Sicily. The trains are a must.Your idea of train from Pisa to CT, then to Venice or Florence sounds good because of getting to CT when it's warm to enjoy the beach. Which route would be better? Venice at the end or middle? Haven't booked anything yet. Planning on September. I think going to CT first is best as someone pointed out because of the warm weather. Yet someone said ideally this should be the route: Venice, Florence, CT, Pisa. I will be flying from NY, JFK or Newark Airport. What would be the smoothest? I plan on staying about 5 days in each area exclusive of traveling time. Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Planning a trip in late August/September to Cinque Terre, Florence and Venice. My husband won't drive so trains are a must. Liked the suggestion of flying into Pisa, train to Cinque Terre first because of warmer weather needed for beaches there, than train to? Venice? or Florence? Which would be best to follow? Why did one of you annhig say ideally it should be fly into Venice, train to Florence, train to CT, fly out of Pisa? What would be the smoothest, most efficient route? I will be coming from New York and plan on staying about five days in each area. More time needed? YOur thoughts greatly appreciated. Been to Florence but never to Venice or CT. Thanks.
Old May 10th, 2012, 04:15 AM

blondie - why ideally fly into venice?

Because, [if you are coming from the US] flights out of Venice tend to be at stupid o'clock in the morning, plus flying into Venice then getting the alilaguna boat [or a water taxi if you want to splash out] is one of the loveliest ways to arrive in a city, especially if you are new to it.

also, no need to start and end in the same place - you can book what it called an "open jaw" ticket into one city, out of another.
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:55 AM

Here's what I recently booked to save money.
Boston - Paris CDG (1 1/2 hr lay over)
- Bologna (Venice would have worked as well but hotels are too costly for me), we'll take the train to Venice for a day trip
- Florence - short train ride from Bologna
- Cinque Terre (train) -
- Pisa - Paris - Boston

Boston - Paris - Bologna 3n - Florence 2n. - CT (Manarola) 4n - Pisa - Paris 4n - Boston