Paris on Christmas Day

Search

Paris on Christmas Day

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris on Christmas Day

We will be arriving in Paris on Christmas day. I am so excited but concerned about the availability of transportation from CDG to our hotel. I am also not sure if meals will be available. I am hoping I can find out here what my possibilities are.
Hey, it is Paris on Christmas day what would be a good walking tour?
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 02:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
No problem for taxis or public transportation on Christmas day. If you are the type of person who takes a private shuttle, there probably won't be as many available, more because it is a low air traffic day than because it is a holiday.

Plenty of restaurants will be open (plenty of the small ones will be closed) -- no tourist will go hungry.

You will have no problem finding places to walk. If you want to see Christmas decorations, the most spectacular ones are on boulevard Haussmann (big department stores) and the Champs Elysées. But dozens of other streets have major Christmas decorations as well.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 08:18 PM

Wondering if any of you have specific recommendations for Christmas eve and Christmas Day in Paris - is there anything special - not to be missed.

Also wondering about restaurant for dinner... It sounds like you are saying many will be open - should we make a reservation. If so - any suggestions.. We're a family and looking for a nice meal, but not too expensive -
I guess I'd be looking for guideline for this... what to expect...
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 06:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Life Size Advent Calendar

Check out the life size Advent calendar at the Maison de l'Alsace. The windows of the Maison de l’Alsace on the Champs Elysees will be covered with paintings representing Christmas in Alsace. Each of the 22 windows will be unveiled, one per day, during the four weeks of Advent.
MAISON DE L’ALSACE
39, avenue des Champs-Elysées 75008 PARIS
Metro: Franklin-D Roosevelt
RER: Charles de Gaulle - Etoile
Dates: From 11-23-2006 to 12-24-2006

La Grande Roue de Paris

La Grande Roue (ferris wheel) is back at the Place de la Concorde this Christmas season. Enjoy it, because they take it away on January 7!
PLACE DE LA CONCORDE, 75008 PARIS
Metro: Concorde
RER: Charles de Gaulle - Etoile
Dates: From 12-16-2006 to 1-7-2007
Full price: Adults : 8 €
Children under 10: 6 €

Christmas light displays

Paris is always the City of Lights, and this is especially true at Christmastime. From now through New Year’s you can experience the beautiful Christmas lights in every neighborhood of the city, and most especially in the windows of its department stores, such as Galeries Lafayette, Printemps, Bon Marche and Monoprix.

Here is a list of the various areas of town which will have a display this year:

Disneyland Resort Paris
Ile-de-France (Marne la Vallee)
Galeries Lafayette department store
Printemps department store
Champs Elysees (Paris 08)
Christmas illuminations: Rues Lepic, Abbesses
Place Vendome
Lumen de Lumine, light show at Notre Dame
During this Christmas season, you can enjoy a light show at Notre Dame Cathedral. The show lasts approximately one hour, and it mixes Biblical texts, narration, music and images of the greatest works in Christian art.
CATHEDRALE NOTRE-DAME DE PARIS
6, place du Parvis-Notre-Dame 75004 PARIS
Metro : Cité
RER : Saint Michel - Notre Dame
Dates: From 12-2-2006 to 2-2-2007

Maneges de Noel

Christmas Merry-go-Rounds! All over Paris you will soon get the chance to hop on special Merry-Go-Rounds just to celebrate the Christmas holiday.

Here are some of the areas where the rides will be located:
Square du Temple - 3e Arr
place de l’Hôtel de Ville - 4e Arr
around Square St-Médard - 5e Arr
place de l’Odéon - 6e Arr
place Joffre - 7e Arr
place de la Madeleine - 8e Arr
place de la Concorde - 8e Arr
place Lino-Ventura - 9e Arr
Square Alban-Satragne - 10e Arr
place Léon-Blum - 11e Arr
avenue Daumesnil - 12e Arr
place d’Italie - 13e Arr
angle rue Didot/rue d’Alésia - 14e Arr
place Raoul-Dautry - 15e Arr
place du Trocadéro - 16e Arr
place Docteur Félix-Lobligeois - 17e Arr
Square Louise-Michel - 18e Arr
place Armand-Carrel - 19e Arr
Mairie du - 20e Arr

In December, head to the Galeries Lafayette, Printemps and Bon Marche. Printemps, for example, has teamed with Swarovski, transforming its façade and window displays for a Christmas that sparkles with light.
The fabulous decorations and displays in all the department stores are worth dealing with the crowds! Just do yourself a favor and don't go on a weekend!

Galeries Lafayette:
40 bd. Haussmann, 75009
Metro: Opera or Chaussee D'Antin

Printemps:
64 bd. Haussmann, 75009
Metro: Havre-Caumartin

Bon Marche:
24 rue de Sèvres, 75007
Metro: Sevres Babylone

eating
L'Espadon at the Ritz
Place Vendome
Reservations & Information: 01.43.16.30.80
Fax: 01.43.16.33.75
Sure, it will set you back hundreds of euros, even for junior to eat! But if you really want to splurge, who could resist Christmas dinner at the Ritz? Not only is the ambiance exquisite, the food is as well. Here are samples of the astounding menus for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day:

THE CHRISTMAS EVE MENU
Sunday 24 December 2006
Egg and caviar brouillade, balik salmon with dill cream
Périgord duck foie gras, dried figs Sole steamed with Ritz Champagne, layered vegetables, lightly browned zabaglione Christmas turkey in a black truffle crust, delicate pie with pistachios Trilogy of matured cheeses, quince jelly Christmas gourmet selection
Coffee and sweet delicacies
The Wines:
- Champagne Cuvée "César Ritz"
- Meursault " Les Chevalières 2000" A.Coche Bizouard
- Pommard 1er cru "Les Rugiens" 1998, J. Voillot
Price: 470 € per person, including wines
Full prepayment upon reservation.
In case of cancellation, there will be no reimbursement after December 17th, 2006.

THE CHILDREN'S MENU
Sunday 24 December 2006
- Foie gras with nuts and Christmas gingerbread
- Veal medallion with almonds, crispy potatoes
- Winter-flavored Christmas balls
- Fruit cocktail
Price: 100 € per child
Prepayment upon reservation

THE CHRISTMAS DAY MENU
Monday 25 December 2006
Lobster medallion and spiced foie gras in a truffle vinaigrette Sea scallops in a cockle broth emulsion, spinach and girolle ravioli Traditional Ritz Capon, winter vegetables and glazed chestnuts Selection of matured cheeses Acidulated passion fruit cream, red berry sorbet Coffee and sweet delicacies
Price: 300 € per person, excluding wines.
Prepayment upon reservation

And if you like to ice skate, there's a rink in the Eiffel Tower, one in front of the Hotel de Ville and now a medium one in Montparnesse.
A tour of the pastry displays, I'll bet is wonderful and tempting
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 06:17 AM

bookmarking
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 06:29 PM

Thanks for all your wonderful information and suggestions.
Do you know about the Christmas Eve Mass at the Notre Dame Cathedral or another location?
Also - any other ideas for Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas day dinner that is less expensive but still nice?
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 06:54 PM

Hmm. As far as Christmas Eve mass, I think I would check the following: Saint Chappelle, because of its gorgeous stained glass windows, St. Eustache, my favorite in Les Halles, because of its atmosphere and wonderful organ concerts on Sunday, and finally, but not least, St. Germain des Pres church, because of its ancientness (it is THE oldest church in Paris-built originally somewhere around the 6th century) the fact that it's quite accessible, smaller, and therefore, more intimate, which is what you might want on Christmas Eve.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Great ideas - thanks....
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 07:07 PM

Oh, and in terms of a less expensive alternative to a fancy Parisian restaurant, I would suggest the atmospheric bistro and wine bar LES PAPILLES, a GREAT bistro, currently quite popular, (although there are other hot bistros, particularly around the Bourse area) located at RER Luxembourg, on the Rue Gay Lassac-if you like meat, you'll love this place, as they do pork, etc. very well, and with your coffee, they serve complimentary chocolate dipped sour cherries. The wine selections (given that it is also a wine bar) are fabulous.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 11:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
www.cathedraledeparis.com for information about Notre Dame. Don't look for any religious activities at the Sainte Chapelle -- it is no longer a place of worship.

For people wanting to spend no more than 20-25 € p/p on an edible meal, rather than the fortunes demanded for the year end holidays by the famous restaurants, I would recommend any of the multitude of decent chains: Chez Clément, Léon de Bruxelles, Bistro Romain, Taverne du Maître Kanter, or even Hippopotamus if you want a big steak.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

I am so impressed with all the wonderful suggestions. Thank-you so very much