Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cannot make reservations for St Mark's Basilica and Secret Itineraries Tour - Help!

Search

Cannot make reservations for St Mark's Basilica and Secret Itineraries Tour - Help!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please tell me what I am doing wrong. I am trying to make reservations for St Mark's Basilica and have tried going via http://www.alata.it/eng/booking/sanmarco.asp and www.basilicasanmarco.it.

In each instance I get to the booking screen but there is a message that says:
"Dear user,
the InfracomTelebooking service to enter the Basilica of San Marco has been suspended until 1st April 2009, as occurred in previous years.
The Basilica of San Marco can still be visited without booking, bar exclusions due to religious services of weather phenomena, please go direct to the main entrance".

Am I missing something, or can you only make bookings for summer months?

Also, I have been trying to make bookings for the Secret Itineraries Tour of the Doges Palace. As we will have Venice cards, which enables us to pay 10 euros instead of 16 euros, I just want to make a reservation (i.e. not pay until we get to Venice). When I try the www.museiciviciveneziani.it sight I have to enter my credit card details. Is phoning the reservations service the only way to make reservations without paying?

Thanks - I'm really getting confused!
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 12:28 PM

We took the secret tour without a reservation a few years ago. It was in May. If you feel that you really need reservations (you do not indicate your dates of travel) and you will be in Venice for a few of days, make the reservation on the first day (you are bound to be in the area) for a later date.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

We'll be in Venice from 18th to 20th December this year.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 01:13 PM

We had no difficulty walking right into San Marco at the end of November last year, and booking the Secret Itineraries tour the day before we took it.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi again, ozziez,

like the other poster says, between november and March, you can't book to go into san marco. if you get there reasonably early [or late!] there should be no problem getting in.

as for the secret itineraries tour, you have to pay at the same time as you make your booking. IMHO it is worth it - you get about an hour's tour [in english if you book the right tour] of parts that you wouldn't otherwise be able to see, and then you are free to wander at will round the rest of the palace.

but only you know if that's how you want to spend a morning of your limited time in Venice!

regards, ann

PS - I just looked at the web-site for booking these tickets - you have the option to book 10€ tickets on the web-site and as you say, they are available for persons with orange venice cards. so that is what you do!
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ann - have just managed to book and pay for the tickets online. I was filled with trepidation before hand because of my lack of success dealing with trenitalia, but this worked like a dream.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 05:16 AM

hi again, ozziez,

you might jsut like to check the san marco web-site to see if there are any special services on while you are there.

we went to high mass on easter sunday and although we're not religious, found it very moving.

you enter by the north door of the cathedral and I would advise getting there pretty early if you want seats. and wear somthing warm!

regards, ann
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ann

I looked up the mass times on the website and found this (we'll be in Venice on a Thursday, Friday and Saturday, so I ignored the Sunday services):

Weekdays
7:00 a.m.; 8:00 a.m.; 9:00 a.m.(Sung Mass of the Charter of the Canons preceded by the celebration of the praises); 10:00 a.m. (in baptistery); 11:00 a.m.; 12:00; 6:45p.m. (preceded by the celebration of Vespers and the rosary).

The 6:45 p.m. Mass is the first of the Sunday/holiday Masses on Saturdays and days preceding holidays."

Would you have any idea what the last sentence means?

I think it would be lovely to attend a mass - thank you for suggesting it.

Old Nov 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM

ho ozziez,

glad to have been of help.

if you are going to a service for more than strictly devotional purposes, i think you'll want one of the sung masses like the 9am one, or the 6.45pm vespers, which I interpret as being held on saturdays and on the dats preceding "holy" days, as opposed to holidays!

the music, [at least at the easter service we went to] is not what we would expect from an english cathedral choir - no little boys in surplices, but adults singing in the organ loft but it wa sstil very interesting an atmospheric. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

regards, ann