Palazzo Olivia-Rome any recent info?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone stay in Fiorello(2nd floor) or Figaro(5th floor) recently? I asked about A/C in my request as we are going in July and I do not know if ceiling fans would be enough, but the A/C question was not addressed. The apartments available are these 2 and both look nice. Opinions please. Main concern is A/C in July.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:16 AM

We looked into staying here last June, and as of then, there was no AC. Of course, it was an unusually chilly June (after an "Africa hot" previous summer), but you just can't take a chance on that happening again.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:41 AM

Let me say that we live in South Florida and LIVE for AirConditioning. We stayed at Palazzo Olivia last June and it was HOT out. We were in the Fifth Floor Basillio Apartment. The AC had been a big concern, and when we arrived, I even commented to the manager in the downstairs office, I notice you DO have Air Conditioning in the lobby/hallway. I was surprised when she said no -- it was nicely cool in there thanks to the one to two foot thick old walls. Our apartment was not as cool as that hallway, but it was fine. There was a tall floor fan provided, but we only used it to aim at our clothes on a drying rack after washing them in the provided washer. Sleeping was comfortable. If it hadn't been we could have easily put that fan in the bedroom, but never bothered to. In the day when we left, we did close the shutters and then opened the windows when we arrived back in the late afternoons. I won't go so far as to say the apartment was "cool", but it sure wasn't "uncomfortable" either -- and the temps were in the 90's most days we were there.

The manager did mention that the top floor apartment does get warm or even hot without AC as it doesn't have the "shelter" of the other floors above it. There are considering putting air in there as there is an access to the roof and they could do it, but essentially there is no way they can effectively air condition the other units without destroying the building or having window units hanging out the windows which I don't even think are allowed.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi Patrick, I have been reading some threads on the Palazzo and all have been positive. I have yet to find some from those who have stayed there in July. As these are the only 2 available and they are willing to let us stay 2 nights not 4 I am inclined to book it. We are a family of 4 and I like the extra bit of space, however the A/C is the only reason holding me back. Question is having been there would you chance it in mid-July? I do have another option on banchi vecchi, with A/C for 75 euros more so I am inclined to pay the extra for that extra covenience. Any info appreciated.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:53 AM

I would NOT chance being in Rome w/o AC in mid-July.

Patrick: We must have been in Rome at different times last June (I was there early in the month), because it was cloudy and cooler than normal until our last day there when it was gloriously sunny and warm. In any event, mid-July is sure to be hot.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:15 AM
SRS

DOCK,

We stayed at Banchi Vecchi last August. There were six of us in three rooms. I've posted before on this as have others - but just wanted to let you know that while Banchi Vecchi won't give you all the extra living space of an apartment, the rooms at BV are very big! Also, the a/c worked wonderfully well.

I can't give you a comparasion to Olivia, which I think looks really great and a place I'd like to stay. Based on what Patrick wrote, I would probably chance Olivia even in July.

But if you end up at Banchi Vecchi you won't be in bad shape. Definitely an apartment will give you more space in terms of a dining table and sofas, but the rooms at Banchi Vecchi are large by American standards.

Anyway, have a great trip!
Sally
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I have decided not to book Palazzo Olivia, as I do not want to stress out about the aircon. I do think it looks great on their pictures tho. Will now decide between Banchi Vecchi ( 2 rooms) or an apartment on Romeby. Thanks for the help.